Refinancing for cars

Chrispie

Hi everyone,

I often hear of ppl doing refinancing for cars.. what does that really means and what is the advantage?

Say i took up a 7 yr loan at 2.5%, so when i refinance, do i transfer this loan to another bank with lower interests? But I understand early settle fetches a penalty. So after taking in the penalty, will there be any real saving?

thanks for enlightening me.

↡ Advertisement

Hi everyone,

I often hear of ppl doing refinancing for cars.. what does that really means and what is the advantage?

Say i took up a 7 yr loan at 2.5%, so when i refinance, do i transfer this loan to another bank with lower interests? But I understand early settle fetches a penalty. So after taking in the penalty, will there be any real saving?

apparently not... =(

i also dont know leh.. this thing came to my mind and i just ask lor.. coz it didnt really make any sense to me..

and.. wah.. u guys reply fast!

but i think probably wont save. cos now got penalty for early redemption. last time i took loan and there was no penalty for early redemption. but that was years back.

unless your loan very big [laugh]

cheapo cars small loan nia... bo bak to save

Neutral Newbie

i enquired before.

yes, they still have it.

i enquired with dbs and uob before.

if u took 10yr 100% loan at 2.5%, their lower rates of 1.8% is lower but is nt effective.

this is becoz other than covering for the loan balance, we still need to factor in penalty charges for early repayment.

for the re-finance to be effective, we must have had taken a higher loan rate like maybe 3.xx% then when u re-finance, you will in fact be paying a lower monthly rate.

i enquired before.

yes, they still have it.

i enquired with dbs and uob before.

if u took 10yr 100% loan at 2.5%, their lower rates of 1.8% is lower but is nt effective.

this is becoz other than covering for the loan balance, we still need to factor in penalty charges for early repayment.

for the re-finance to be effective, we must have had taken a higher loan rate like maybe 3.xx% then when u re-finance, you will in fact be paying a lower monthly rate.

thanks buddy. very helpful. :)

Some terms that bankers use other people cant understand as a student of Finance I want to tell every body about these terms for better understanding.

Front-loaded loans

are the Loans that require payback of mostly interest in the beginning so that the lender gets paid first, if you buy a car 0f 25,000 $ and going to pay in lump sum amount of 30,000 $ lets say in 5 years, your first payments of 5000$ will only cover interest.

Term

The length of the loan in months

Trade-in allowance

The amount of money taken off the purchase price of the new car for the trade-in of your old car

Principal

The term principal refers to the actual amount borrowed and that needs to be repaid with interest.

Prepayment Penalty

A fee that some loans charge if you pay off the loan before the end of the term.

Edited by Dreamer143

Hi everyone,

Honestly, I have never heard of refinancing that saved money.

To have to refinancing means one is screwed.

When one is screwed, one pays more overall.

Refinancing just allows a bit of stretching so that on a monthly basis, the screwed one can still take it.

repeat, when on eis screwed, one pays more overall

""chang tong bu ru duan tong ".

Hi everyone,

well u can calculate?

Not totally true. Home loans also have refinancing.

But for car loans, unless loan amount is huge and you are ready to commit the car for many years, otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

refinancing usually incur more money, will not save money. unless the refinancing interest rate is extremely low which i doubt so.

giving a simple refinancing concept.

- 50k loan, 2% interest p.a, repayment 5 years (60 months)

- principal is 50k, interest is $5,000 for whole term, monthly $916.67

- after 12 months repayment ($11,000), outstanding is $44,000

you decide to refinance with 1.5% interest

- 44k loan, 1.5% interest p.a, repayment 4 years (48 months)

- principal is 44k, interest is $2,640 for whole term, monthly $971.67

- in addition, you incur a 20% penalty of outstanding interest on previous loan, about (4000 x 0.2 = $800)

With refinancing, you actually paid -> 11k + 44k + 2,640 + 800 = $58,440 ... that is $3,440 more

With original loan, you pay $55,000

People who refinance are usually those who are having trouble to pay their monthly repayment.

By refinancing, they try to prolong their loan period, reducing monthly payment, but at a great cost.

Continue from above original loan, following is the typical scenario of why people refinancing.

That is extending loan period to reduce monthly repayment. In this example, extend by 1 year.

you decide to refinance with 1.5% interest due to high monthly repayment

- 44k loan, 1.5% interest p.a, repayment 5 years (60 months)

- principal is 44k, interest is $3,300 for whole term, monthly $788.33

- in addition, you incur a 20% penalty of outstanding interest on previous loan, about (4000 x 0.2 = $800)

With refinancing, you actually paid -> 11k + 44k + 3,300 + 800 = $59,100

By refinancing and reducing your monthly repayment, it cost you $4,100 compare to your original loan.

Neutral Newbie

now there are no refinancing being offered by any banks....so 4get about refinancing for cars....and if they do..go and ask the bank or banks directly what refinancinf means to them...dun go to dealers rxpecially beyond motor...they cheat you of your money....go directly to the banks....

i've calculated wrongly in my above example. forgot about the interest refund.

refinancing usually incur more money, will not save money. unless the refinancing interest rate is extremely low which i doubt so.

giving a simple refinancing concept.

- 50k loan, 2% interest p.a, repayment 5 years (60 months)

- principal is 50k, interest is 5k for whole term, monthly $916.67

- after 12 months repayment ($11,000), outstanding is $44,000

you decide to refinance with 1.5% interest

- you incur a 20% penalty of outstanding interest on previous loan, about (4000 x 0.2 = $800), interest refund $3,200

- $40,800 loan, 1.5% interest p.a, repayment 4 years (48 months)

- principal is $40,800, interest is $2,448 for whole term, monthly $901

With refinancing, you actually paid -> 11k + 40,800 + 2,448 + 800 = $55,048 ... that is $48 more

People who refinance are usually those who are having trouble to pay their monthly repayment.

By refinancing, they try to prolong their loan period, reducing monthly payment, but at a great cost.

Continue from above original loan, following is the typical scenario of why people refinancing. That is extending loan period to reduce monthly repayment. In this example case extend by 1 year.

you decide to refinance with 1.5% interest due to high monthly repayment

- you incur a 20% penalty of outstanding interest on previous loan, about (4000 x 0.2 = $800), interest refund $3,200

- $40,800 loan, 1.5% interest p.a, repayment 5 years (60 months)

- principal is $40,800, interest is $3,060 for whole term, monthly $731

With refinancing, you actually paid -> 11k + 40,800 + 3,060 + 800 = $55,660

By refinancing and reducing your monthly repayment, it cost you $660 compare to your original loan.

Anyway, the idea is, refinancing incur you more money unless the interest rate is extremely low.

Hi everyone,

few years back quite popular i think.....

↡ Advertisement