Top gear is back!

Friendstar

yeah the cinematography for top gear is top notch. You seldom see that in any kind of tv series.

When they intro the new cars review, it feels like "there's something special here" (as Clarkson would have put it).

The filters and such. 

It's a great part of the series that makes it appealing to watch.

After watching the new episode I was kinda lost. Usually in Clarkson show he would talk about the pros and cons about the supercar some tech talk while trashing it around the test track. But not in this one. Sabine and Chris Evans was trashing a Dodge Viper ASR vs a Chevy Corvette around a runway pretending to try to gun down each other like in a dog fight. Nothing informative about the cars except what big downforce from the spoiler wing and big V8 engine. Worse part is when the "fighter pilot" felt nausea in Sabine's Corvette becoz of her driving. Looks very fake. Seriously, a fighter pilot felt nausea...in a car?

↡ Advertisement

Watched TG first episode under Evan and Blanc last night, wasted 1 hour of my life...

Hopefully the 3 of them retains their chemistry and charisma on the Amazon series...

• Praise 2

(edited)

amazonclarkson.jpg

http://www.motor1.com/news/63285/set-up-a-tent-to-win-a-spot-in-the-grand-tour-audience/

The hosts pick the winner.

The Grand Tour won’t begin streaming on Amazon Prime until this fall, but a few people will get to see Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May presenting the show early at the live audience taping in Johannesburg, South Africa. To get the word out, Amazon will give away three pairs of tickets, travel, and lodging for a contest to find the weirdest location to set up a tent.

Entrants simply need to tweet a photo or video of the "most unusual place they’ve ever put up a tent" with the hashtag #TheGrandTourJoburg. Videos must be in English and be between 30 seconds and 90 seconds. Also, entries must be suitable for airing on a television.

Amazon Prime Video will select 10 finalists, and Clarkson, Hammond, and May will pick the three winners. These folks will get the tickets for the July 17 taping in Johannesburg. While the contest is currently on Amazon U.K’s Website, people from all over the world are eligible to get the passes. The contest will run from June 2 to June 8, so there’s not much time to set up a tent someplace unique and snap a photo.

The concept behind The Grand Tour is for the guys to travel the world shooting segments, and that means not having a permanent studio. Instead, the hosts intend to pitch a tent in a new town every episode and welcome the audience inside. It’s like an automotive circus. Amazon Prime wants to build a global audience, and moving around one of its biggest content investments might help that process.

Source: Amazon

Where is the weirdest location in Singapore to pitch a tent? [laugh]

The contest link... https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=10314456031

Contest closes on 8th June.

Edited by Watwheels

My money is on Chris Evans being sacked after this season. Gosh he's rubbish.

He's rubbish and he's getting paid (did I see wrongly?) £125k per episode!

Heard that they are using recorded audience laughter becos his jokes are so lame.

Bring back Jeremy, James and Richard!!

• Praise 2

To be fair, we are comparing the new hosts to a trio who have been working together for over ten years. Their camaraderie and team work does not occur overnight and you can't expect the same from this new crew.

Watch the first two seasons of Top Gear 2.0 and tell me that they were slick and polished?

To be fair, we are comparing the new hosts to a trio who have been working together for over ten years. Their camaraderie and team work does not occur overnight and you can't expect the same from this new crew.

Watch the first two seasons of Top Gear 2.0 and tell me that they were slick and polished?

Actually, there's no need to be fair (to the BBC at any rate). They were the ones who fired JC. They broke a formula that unquestionably worked.

Yes, the punch was delivered by JC, but that was in hot blood and he apologised for his lapse. The firing by the Beeb was in cold blood.

And I doubt very much it was just the punch that did it. That might have been the final straw but I think it was more likely just a pretext. I think it was his incorrigible poitical incorrectness and mild racism that led to his firing. Personally, I found those qualities endearing as they gave the guy some realism,but clearly, the powers that be were more keen on listening to the butt hurt protests of various affronted minority groups, many of whom don't even bother to watch the show firsthand.

Anyway what's done is done. But I'll be damned if I owe any fairness in judgment to the Beeb. If they don't come out of the gate running at full tilt, it's their own damn fault, and I won't lower my standards in judging them.

Bring on The Grand Tour.

• Praise 3

Actually, there's no need to be fair (to the BBC at any rate). They were the ones who fired JC. They broke a formula that unquestionably worked.

Yes, the punch was delivered by JC, but that was in hot blood and he apologised for his lapse. The firing by the Beeb was in cold blood.

And I doubt very much it was just the punch that did it. That might have been the final straw but I think it was more likely just a pretext. I think it was his incorrigible poitical incorrectness and mild racism that led to his firing. Personally, I found those qualities endearing as they gave the guy some realism,but clearly, the powers that be were more keen on listening to the butt hurt protests of various affronted minority groups, many of whom don't even bother to watch the show firsthand.

Anyway what's done is done. But I'll be damned if I owe any fairness in judgment to the Beeb. If they don't come out of the gate running at full tilt, it's their own damn fault, and I won't lower my standards in judging them.

Bring on The Grand Tour.

To be clear, its not the Beeb that I suggested to be fair to - more a figure of speech in using some common sense to compare a team honed from over a decade of working together and one that was thrown together to fill some pretty big shoes.

A few things are clear to me (just bullet points because I CBF-ed to try to link them up:

• Top Gear as we knew and loved is dead - its been proven that you can't duplicate the formula (refer to Top Gear Australia, and USA), even with the help of the original show's cast;

• The Grand Tour will have the cast (including Andy Wilman), but it probably can't keep to the formula that worked for IP reasons. Will they be able to duplicate the success? We will have to wait and see;

• JC had been testing the limits and it can be argued that it was a game of chicken if he was bigger than the show or not. Clearly, he was, not only due to his personality but the loyalty he had built up with Hammond, May, and Wilman. Like you, I don't take offence at these antics but evidently the Beeb decided to call JC's bluff;

• Its probably costing the Beeb much more money and trouble to hire the new cast (6 people to take the place of three, plus names like Matt LeBlanc) than keeping the old team;

I have always wondered how Top Gear 2.0 would have ended - would all three retire together, would they take on a new member, what? We saw that filming halted completely when Hammond had that big crash some years back - they were so tightly knit as a team they wouldn't move on without one of their own, despite what often happens on one of their road trip challenges - it was actually pretty heart warming to see. 

The Grand Tour would be interesting, but considering their age it might also be their swan song as a team. 

• Praise 4

Personally i'm not talking abt camaraderie, it's just that Evans is plain out annoying.

He either shouts or jumps around. Honestly, he appears worse than the run of the mill Deejay/hosts at company D&D  [:|]

When he's just talking, i can still tolerate him.

If i have a word to use for his performance, it would be "jarring". 

Turbocharged

the latest episode is an improvement. Kudos to bbc they're on the right track. evans is still the weak link.

To be clear, its not the Beeb that I suggested to be fair to - more a figure of speech in using some common sense to compare a team honed from over a decade of working together and one that was thrown together to fill some pretty big shoes.

A few things are clear to me (just bullet points because I CBF-ed to try to link them up:

• Top Gear as we knew and loved is dead - its been proven that you can't duplicate the formula (refer to Top Gear Australia, and USA), even with the help of the original show's cast;
  • The Grand Tour will have the cast (including Andy Wilman), but it probably can't keep to the formula that worked for IP reasons. Will they be able to duplicate the success? We will have to wait and see;
  • JC had been testing the limits and it can be argued that it was a game of chicken if he was bigger than the show or not. Clearly, he was, not only due to his personality but the loyalty he had built up with Hammond, May, and Wilman. Like you, I don't take offence at these antics but evidently the Beeb decided to call JC's bluff;
  • Its probably costing the Beeb much more money and trouble to hire the new cast (6 people to take the place of three, plus names like Matt LeBlanc) than keeping the old team;

I have always wondered how Top Gear 2.0 would have ended - would all three retire together, would they take on a new member, what? We saw that filming halted completely when Hammond had that big crash some years back - they were so tightly knit as a team they wouldn't move on without one of their own, despite what often happens on one of their road trip challenges - it was actually pretty heart warming to see.

The Grand Tour would be interesting, but considering their age it might also be their swan song as a team.

GT, featuring 3 middle-aged men with no firm base, travelling country to country for shootings with i guess little rest in between to maximise budget, and an unfamiliar production crew.... i think there'll be punching incident #2
  • Praise 1

(edited)

At the end of the day, it's all about the ratings. Now that awful Evans is off, I hope they kill the TG series as I doubt it will ever rival The Grand Tour (some bias here as I have not watched TGT, but I'm confident their formula will work). This new TG is simply a bad cover version of the original TG.

I read that Evans said he gave his best shot, but merely worked 3-4 hours a day on the production of TG, that doesn't sound like best shot to me. It's more part-time to me.

BBC could use that TG budget for other contents, such as the Ross Kemp series or Robson Green fishing which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Edited by Weez911
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8