Mookata - charcoal thai steamboat

Ken4555

sorry leh.. i dun rem the name. [:p]

but it is just right infront of the main door escalator. ground level.

(image gotten from a blog. as u can see, no proper signboard for themselves.)

thank you poniang! ni jin tian bu chou le. (you smell guuuud today :D)

never try...usually i go the blue haven kopitiam lim some beer...buckaroo i mark them liao...got one time i go...the service sucks...and the food quality drop since the original owner sold off the business...

if im not wrong thaitantic closed down alrdy. theres one at geylang lorong 8 which opens till 4-5am. after club or td can go for supper with the girls :D :D .

heard from TGs that theres another one near jalan besar but not thaitanic but dont know where tough.

Me and my frens bought the groupon deal for moo ka ta buffet at 14.80 recently. the restaurant is located near outram. yet to try it out. will give FR soon. [laugh]

July 1st, 2014

Source: http://sethlui.com/best-thai-mookata-restaurants-singapore/

8 Best Thai Mookata Restaurants in Singapore

thaimookata1.jpg

8 x $30 Mookata, Traditional Thai BBQ vouchers giveaway! Find out more on my facebook/instagram.

For the uninitiated, Mookata is a Thai barbeque steamboat that has been firing up in Singapore during the recent years. Today we bring you the best thai mookata restaurants in Singapore.

‘Mookata’ loosely translates from Thai meaning ‘pork’ and ‘skillet’. It originated from Northern Thailand, though one may argue how the interesting ‘domed shape hotpot’ came about. I liked the origin story about how the soldiers in Chiang Mai grilled meat using their helmets, eventually creating a metal domed shaped hotpot we see today.

To eat Mookata, first one has to lather the pork lard provided (Yes, not butter or oil but pork lard) to grease the metal skillet, which you then use to grill the meats. The surface eventually gets really charred though. Simple soup is also poured into the moat surrounding the skillet. Traditional Mookata in Thailand just use plain water, but the version in Singaore has been tweaked to use flavoured broth.

The lightness of the soup allows the broth to easily take up the essences of the grilled meat juice that flow down, mixing together with the boiled vegetables in the broth to create a flavourful and rich taste in the soup.

IMG_6337.jpg

I love having mookata because it’s an amalgamation of barbeque and steamboat- the best of both worlds. It’s casual fun to bond with family and friends while sharing a mookata pot. Like what many Singaporeans can relate to: We connect over food. Lastly, you can enjoy a mookata without the stress of having to dress up! Not advisable to wear your favourite dress or blazer as you’ll most probably be smelling like grilled pork after a mookata session. Not for the atas folks who dislike the BBQ smell clinging to their hair.

1. Mookata, Traditional Thai BBQ (East Coast Road)

mookata-06224027-e1404171936765.jpg

20140609_191434QQ.jpg

20140609_190804QQ.jpg

Mookata set meal for 2 ($34.90++), Buffet is available from Mon -Thurs ($34.90++)

Ubiquitously named after the food it serves, Mookata Traditional Thai BBQ has been around for quite a few years, and definitely stays up to date with its exciting flavours that cater to the evolving tastes. Probably one of the best thai mookata restaurants in Singapore.

The meat selections are exquisite, especially the Pork Collar. They also have Pork Suriyaki in their set platters which is a must try, as well as Wagyu beef. Their special marination sauce are slathered on generously to ensure the grilled meat is packed with flavour. Tom yum marinated chicken/pork is available for the spice lovers. They use charcoal for their mookata hotpot for a more rustic experience while the pot skillet is big enough to not worry about your meat sliding into the soup.

Always putting customers first, they even have three different levels of spiciness for their chilli sauce to cater to different spice tolerances. I’ve to highlight their homemade Thai milk tea as one of the best I’ve tried. Mookata does not take in reservations but they do provide a queue system during peak hours!

Opening hours: 5pm to 12am (Mon – Thurs), 5pm to 1am (Fri), 12pm – 1am (Sat), 12pm – 12am (Sun)

Mookata, Traditional Thai BBQ: 103 East Coast Road, Singapore 428797 | Tel: 6344 2985 | Website 2. Charcoal Thai

IMG_6357.jpg

IMG_6372-749x500.jpg

Charcoal Thai Steamboat BBQ set for 2/3 pax ($39.90)

Located in the heart of Kovan where there is always bustling activity, Charcoal Thai is easily accessible and experiences high crowd during peak hours. The restaurant has an air conditioned area, and plays Thai Pop and occasional Korean Pop music blasting in the background, setting an upbeat atmosphere for their diners.

They serve a standard set for two and you could order more through the ala carte menu if you are craving a particular dish. The meat marination is pretty light and not the best, but definitely has the quantity to satisfy big eaters. Not only do they serve Mookata but Charcoal Thai is also well versed in traditional Thai cuisine. It might get quite stuffy even with individual vents when it is a full house in the restaurant so consider going down for an early dinner.

Opening hours: 11am to 11pm (Daily)

Charcoal Thai: 7 Simon Road, Singapore 545894 | Tel: 6288 6260; No 1 HarbourFront Walk, #03-07, VivoCity, Singapore 098585 |Tel: 6222 3880 | Website 3. Tom Yum Kungfu

IMG_6459-749x500.jpg

IMG_6471-749x500.jpg

BBQ Steamboat Set for 2 ($39.90)

Tom Yum Kungfu has an eclectic, retro-pop vibe feel in both their restaurants at Circular Road and Serangoon Gardens. The interior is filled with bright warm colours with neon elements, portraying a quirky and charming vibe (the owner used to be a interior designer).

Their clear broth is boiled from vegetables, pork bones and crabs. A rather light broth but with satisfying umami and seafood sweetness. They use charcoal as their fuel as well. Although the seafood selection from the set isn’t fantastic, I found the marinated meat (chicken thigh and pork collar) succulent and tender after grilling.

They have a rather interesting ala carte menu with more interesting items like venison meat, and their homemade fish paste. Both restaurant outlets are opened during lunch hours as well, so you can have mookata at anytime of the day. Not only mookata, they serve decent Thai dishes as well. Tom Yum Kung Fu is another of my favorite Mookata restaurants in Singapore.

Opening hours: 12pm – 2.30pm (daily), 6pm to 10.30pm (Tues to Sun), closed on Mon at Serangoon Garden Way outlet; 11.30am - 2.30pm, 6pm - 10.30pm daily, except the first Sunday of every month, at Circular Road outlet.

Tom Yum Kungfu: 56 Serangoon Garden Way, Singapore 555952 | Tel: 9022 0690; 16 Circular Rd, Singapore 049372 | Tel: 6536 1646 | Facebook 4. Idle Bistro@Dempsey

IMG_6317-749x500.jpg

IMG_6347-749x500.jpg

BBQ Steamboat Set for 2 ($42+)

Idle@Dempsey separates one from the hustle bustle of our city life with its laid back charms. Originally providing Western cuisine on their menu, Idle has recently launched their mookata menu available at their alfreso area. Although not an authentic Thai restaurant, I find having mookata with a surrounding of lush greenery a wonderful experience. The interior is a KTV lounge though, which oddly contrasts the mookata they sell.

Slightly pricier than the usual pricing, but the seafood like squid, scallops and prawns are really sweet and fresh. The meat (chicken thigh, pork collar) are more flavourful than how authentic Northern Thailand meat would be – but definitely more suited for out Singaporean palate. The soup base is boiled in chicken bones, cabbage and corn, a light tasting soup with vegetable sweetness. They burn sawdust charcoal for their mookata hotpot, with a stronger heat.

There isn’t a wide ala carte selection available, but I would recommend an alfreso dining mookata dining experience at Idle, especially at a breezy evening. By far the least stinky smelling clothe experience.

Opening hours: 6pm – 12am (Mon – Thurs), 6pm – 1am (Fri and Sat)

IDLE@Dempsey: Blk 16a Dempsey Road, Singapore 249679 | Tel: 6479 6188 | Website 5. Moojaa, Mookata Thai BBQ Steamboat

IMG_5890-749x500.jpg

IMG_5906-749x500.jpg

King Moo set for 3 ($60+), Set Moo for 2 ($45+), Ala-carte Buffet ($32+ per diner)

Another popular spot where mookata lovers will choose to dine at. MooJaa excels in their service and provides one of the most comfortable mookata dining spots.

MooJaa uses bincho-tan (white charcoal) as the fuel, so there is relatively less ‘smoke’ and there isn’t a need to adjust heat settings. Also, the hot pots are actually placed in a hole cutout in the center of the table. Less clutter on the table surface makes barbequing a whole lot easier and safer with less ash. We still left smelling like bbq pork though.

During the buffet, you can enjoy a free flow of items on the a la carte menu and one premium serving of either US Angus Beef slices or Kurobuta Pork Collar slices. The King Moo set comes with the premium cuts too. The meat is only lightly marinated, allowing diners to dip in their chilli sauces for extra flavour. They have two chilli sauces, each claimed to contain a secret recipe of thirty different herb and spice, boiled and stirred non-stop for 6 hours. That, is dedication to their food quality.

Opening hours: 5pm -6am (mon – fri); 12pm – 6am (sat); 12pm-11pm (sun)

MooJaa, Mookata Thai BBQ Steamboat: 25 Keong Saik Road, Singapore 089132 | Tel: 6536 4780 | Facebook 6. Huay Kwang Thai Kitchen

20140615_200423-817x459.jpg

Moo Ka Ta Set for 2 people ($39.90+), Combo for 4 ($59.90+), Buffet (mon-thurs: $25.90+; fri-sun: $28.90+)

Huay Kwang Thai Kitchen has two outlets – one at Townshend Road, and the other at Upper Thomson. Both great places for dinner and supper haunts. The soup base is great, a light broth of pork bones and cabbage which tasted rich and flavourful after a few rounds of grilling – but yet not too overwhelming.

The meat wasn’t of the highest quality but definitely decent for the meat devourers. I exceptionally like their chilli sauce, with a tantalising garlic aroma. To cater to the young crowd, Huay Kwang Thai also has a student buffet promotion at their Thomson outlet at $22.90+ per pax with a minimum of 4 diners, to be seated from 4.30pm – 5.30pm and lasts 100 minutes.

Opening hours: 6pm to 6am daily at Townshend Road outlet; 5 to 11pm (Sun - Thurs), 5pm to 2am (Fri - Sat) at Upper Thomson Road outlet.

Huay Kwang Thai Kitchen: 9 Townshend Road, Singapore 207607 | Tel: 8686 9990; 244R Upper Thomson Road, Singapore 574369 | Tel: 8588 9990 | Facebook 7. CLAW Mookata

20140628_171459q-817x459.jpg

20140628_190051Q-817x459.jpg

Claw Set for 2 people ($35+), Buffet ($28+)

A cozy air conditioned two storey restaurant located along Kampong Bahru Road, CLAW mookata serves pretty decent and worth it meals.

Claw Mookata uses a gas stove so that there is minimal barbeque smoke, and you could adjust the heat for grilling. The chicken thigh is really tender and juicy, as well as their meatballs for steamboat. Other than the usual Thai Milk Tea, they are famous for their Thai Milk Green Tea as well. Do try it out when you are there.

Opening hours: 5pm till late

Claw Mookata: 17 Kampong Bahru, Singapore 169347 | Tel: 6226 3364 | Website 8. Happy Mookata

happy-mookata-06191001.jpg

happy-mookata-06191009.jpg

A la carte Buffet ($23.90)

There are quite a few mookata restaurants at Golden Mile Tower and I found Happy Mookata to be the better one amongst all. Happy Mookata only serves a standard, no-frills mookata buffet non-inclusive of drinks.

By far, the most affordable and value-for-money mookata buffet I’ve been to. They use a gas stove, and their hotpot is slightly different in a way that the very small metal skillet hotpot doesn’t have grills holes in it, so all the meat grease will roll straight into the shallow moat of soup broth. Although they just use standard chicken stock broth, the soup gets rich very fast because of the tight girth.

Scooping soup out was a pain though. The chicken meat and beef slices are quite tasty when grilled. Not a huge selection, but also has fried items on the buffet. A caveat though, avoid the sotong balls (worst sotong ball I’ve eaten in my life).

Opening hours: 6pm to 3am daily

Happy Mookata: Golden Mile Tower, 6001 Beach Road #01-55D, Singapore 199589 | Tel: 8113 0774 | Website

• Praise 2

Normally I go 1_345 at mid view city, about 3 big and 2 very small will cost us around $50-70 but happen got 1 just open at blk 681 hougang Ave 4, so went there for dinner just now, shock man, we heavy eater and yet $39 nia so cheap(same 3 big 2 small)

Food not bad so if anyone want try can go there.

I not owner I just eater nia.

Hypersonic

Normally I go 1_345 at mid view city, about 3 big and 2 very small will cost us around $50-70 but happen got 1 just open at blk 681 hougang Ave 4, so went there for dinner just now, shock man, we heavy eater and yet $39 nia so cheap(same 3 big 2 small)

Food not bad so if anyone want try can go there.

I not owner I just eater nia.

Other than cheap price. How is the quality?

Since near SK, If good will give it a try.

• Praise 1

Other than cheap price. How is the quality?

Since near SK, If good will give it a try.

I find no different from the 1_345

This few young chap seem like shy shy type not daring enough.

• Praise 1

Wow... so many mookata lovers around huh!!

i would recommend my new love, Nam Mookata Thai BBQ for the east siders!

Cheap, filling & good!

THAI MOOKATA BBQ STEAMBOAT!!!
Blk704 Bedok Reservoir Road, S'pore 470704 - Opp Belvia
Operating Hours: Daily 4.30pm - 11pm
Closed on every WEDNESDAY!!!

1907514_547650042039774_2947243832071571

Cheap, filling & good!

are they the lady bosses there? if yes, i GO!!! :a-happy:

(edited)

are they the lady bosses there? if yes, i GO!!! :a-happy:

sadly... No! :a-noway:

But lady boss is a Thai, the one with apron :)

10533543_410224319115681_347942959774000

Edited by HuaiCai

Cheap, filling & good!

whats the average price?

whats the average price?

2 pax combo is $28, 3 pax combo is $38.. On avg $20/pax if you add more sides :)

↡ Advertisement