Tottenham HotSpur Update

Spurman

Harry Redknapp has revealed that Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has been urging him to splash the cash in the January transfer window.

It was widely thought Spurs needed to sell before they could buy when the window opens on Saturday, but it now appears Levy is ready to bankroll the club's push for a second straight Champions League campaign and even a tilt at the Premier League title.

Manager Redknapp is eager to reinforce his squad but is reluctant to make signings just for the sake of it, admitting finding the right players was proving difficult.

"The owner would like me in all honesty to go and spend his money and buy somebody who could make the difference," he said.

"But I don't know where that player is.

"I know where they are but they're not for sale - we can't go and buy the people that you'd put your life on.

"Anybody whose got anybody who's real top class, they don't want to sell them at this stage of the season.

"We're not in the situation where we need to panic buy.

"Unless it's somebody who's going to make a difference to the team then we really wouldn't bother."

Redknapp's problem is improving a squad that is already one of the strongest in the country.

He added: "We've got good players. We've got players that are getting better, which is great.

"(Gareth) Bale, what a year he's had. Luka Modric, he's just been incredible.

"You've got (Rafael) van der Vaart here now who's come in and, when he's been fit and playing, has just been fantastic."

Several players have been linked with loan or permanent moves away from White Hart Lane during the window, including Robbie Keane, David Bentley, Luka Modric, Giovani dos Santos, Niko Kranjcar and the injury-blighted Jonathan Woodgate.

Redknapp insisted no agreements had been reached with any club and reiterated Keane was available for permanent transfer only.

"He still could play a big part for us, I think," said Redknapp on the prospect of no suitable bid being forthcoming.

Tottenham host Fulham on Saturday in their first match of 2011 and Redknapp believes the final games of 2010 have proven decisive in the Premier League season, with the Spurs boss declaring the battle for Champions League qualification a five-horse race.

"Not being disrespectful to the other teams but, the position we're in, it really is beginning to look like it could be the five teams pushing for the Champions League places," said Redknapp, whose side will go fourth if they win tomorrow.

"Who are you going to knock out? You're not going to knock Man United out, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City.

"It looks like we're going to finish fifth, having said all that!"

He added: "We want to be right up there challenging to get into the Champions League next year and even higher if we can."

Fulham are fighting for their lives at the other end of the table, with Tuesday night's 2-0 win at Stoke easing the pressure on manager Mark Hughes.

Redknapp said: "It's just a case of people - owners - holding their nerve when you have a bad run.

"You have to look at all the circumstances - injuries.

"Fulham lost Bobby Zamora - that was a massive loss.

"For them, he was different class.

"Everything revolved around Bobby Zamora."

Hughes was subjected to chants of "Hughes out" and "You don't know what you're doing" during Sunday's 3-1 defeat to West Ham.

Redknapp said: "No disrespect, what are Fulham supposed to do?

"If they finish halfway, it's a fantastic achievement, in my opinion.

"He's spent no money, Mark. He's gone in there, worked with what he's had.

"I don't know what else people can expect.

"They used to be in the old Fourth Division."

↡ Advertisement

Personally I see Spurs lacking an extra quality striker.

Of the 4 we have, only Defoe is class-act.

Robbie Keane is going down-hill, Super-Pav is lazy and not good enough for Spurs.. And Crouch, oh, he slows the fast counter attacking spurs are doing lately.

I can see that we should go for Torres. Hes a striker that can play up front alone, and with some pace too. Can rotate with Defoe too... If Torres not scoring, Defoe can come in.

But to buy Torres, prob we can offer David Bentley and Krancjar and a little more cash will do the trick

i'm not sure if torres will wanna come to our side.. [laugh]

but we need not spend so much cash on a player who's not having his best time for the past 2 seasons.. maybe HR can do some wonders to the current strikers that we have?

Neutral Newbie

i would suggest a defensive midfielder. Sell Jenas. Kevin Prince Baoteng looks good as one. Palacios not consistent enough...

Personally I see Spurs lacking an extra quality striker.

Of the 4 we have, only Defoe is class-act.

Robbie Keane is going down-hill, Super-Pav is lazy and not good enough for Spurs.. And Crouch, oh, he slows the fast counter attacking spurs are doing lately.

I can see that we should go for Torres. Hes a striker that can play up front alone, and with some pace too. Can rotate with Defoe too... If Torres not scoring, Defoe can come in.

But to buy Torres, prob we can offer David Bentley and Krancjar and a little more cash will do the trick

i agree, torres is good option maybe adebayor too and not to forget ibrahimovic or cavani.

keane should go to newcastle, yes we also need good striker, currently we only depend on carroll and we should buy the like of keane, donovan or poldoski... :D

Neutral Newbie

About time we finally have a thread for Spurs :D

Somehow I always fear transfer season can make or break a team. Bringing in someone new can either strengthen our team or break the harmony we presently have going good for us.

But if we were to ever get anyone, either get a striker or center-back. Maybe a more dependable 2nd goalie too.

COYS!!

Sell Jenas, Sell Crouch. Pavly seems to be getting better.. Check out his last header that hit 2 post last week. He is a targetman, so u dun see him create.

We need in level of Priority

1) 2 X CD (Gallas is good but very old. King,woodgate is permanently injured)

2) 1 X DM

3) 1 X Target man

4) 1 X young winger (when Bale or Lennon is out, the attack is super predictable)

Neutral Newbie

i have to agree spurs really need a TOP quality striker... I see andy carroll is a good feed...For now he still cheap...

I believe HR can get best our of him...Problem with spurs is we cannot attract Big Star...

VDV is a surprise move..really a BIG HIT..

Keep spending..I HATE MAN C, wish them flop again this season...

Andy Carrol not good enough I think. Anyway we do have a few big names like modric, bale and van der vart, and fantastic players like Defoe, king, hudds, Lennon And gomes.

Ideally I still hope for torres, but he would be too costly and perhaps pool will not want him in bpl should he leave pool.

Yes. 9 pts of 9 thru a week. Next up everton.

And amazing news. David beckham set to fulfill his grandpa's wishes by actually playing for tottenham hotspur senior team. (he trained at spurs as a kid).

He would he making a loan move to spurs and likely to play a part in entertaining man utd next week or so

Yes. 9 pts of 9 thru a week. Next up everton.

And amazing news. David beckham set to fulfill his grandpa's wishes by actually playing for tottenham hotspur senior team. (he trained at spurs as a kid).

He would he making a loan move to spurs and likely to play a part in entertaining man utd next week or so

Return of the King. [laugh]

i bet is Beckham will help improve Aaron Lennon's crossing, inspire Bale, Hudds even more and hopefully make David Bentley less arrogant and a better player, a better sub..

permission slip from Los Angeles Galaxy seems to be the only thing standing between David Beckham and Tottenham after Harry Redknapp confirmed the midfielder was keen to join on loan.

Speaking after his side's 1-0 win over Fulham, Redknapp said he was looking to get Beckham to White Hart Lane as soon as possible, a move that would mark the former Manchester United star's Premier League return after nearly eight years abroad.

Due to Major League Soccer's summer season, Beckham is out of action while Europe's top leagues are in the thick of the action and he has previously joined AC Milan on loan in a bid to maintain his standards and keep his chances of playing for England alive. He tore his Achilles during last year's stint, however, forcing him to miss the World Cup and most of the MLS season, and Galaxy could be reluctant to let their star name and key player risk another spell on the sidelines as he edges towards his late thirties.

If Beckham does join Tottenham, he would be due to report back for Galaxy's new season in March, meaning Redknapp is eager to complete a deal sooner rather than later to allow Beckham to maximise his impact on Spurs' potential title tilt.

"He just said that he would like to come and play here at Tottenham,'' Redknapp said after his extended their unbeaten run to nine league matches. "We'd have to get him quickly if it's going to happen as he's only available until March. I've left it to the people at the club. I've passed it on them. They're talking to whoever they have to talk to at his club. It's down to whether they'd let him come or not."

Beckham previously stated that he would only return to the Premier League with United out of respect but they were not among the rumoured six or more clubs who were keen on securing his services. Tottenham would be the only one of the five clubs in the title race likely to be interested in Beckham, and since they have no direct rivalry with United and Beckham spent time at Spurs as a youth player, North London is a logical destination for a player keen to contribute at the highest level possible.

Redknapp said Beckham's previous declaration was now irrelevant, confirming: "David just said he'd like to come and play at Tottenham. He told me that."