Arrival of Ford Smax and Galaxy Ecoboost!

Tipo33

ah thanks for the reply, i would prefer a better handling car hence the s-max.

about the sharan i feel its kinda pricey as its over 200k as of now.

also i like the shape of s-max haha'

i would like to hear more comments of the s-max if possible. thanks!

Sure. I think for the price, it's really bang for buck.

Engine is really punchy and handling is superb.

Moonroof and daytime running lights will sway you even more.

Probably only lacking a DVD touchscreen system and the space in the 3rd row isn't ideal for adults.

↡ Advertisement

I see 2nd hand Galaxy 2.3A GHIA, but cant seems to find it listed as 'new'. Has it been discontinued?

It's no longer on sale. All 2-litre Ecoboost engines in 2 states of tune for Mondeo & Smax but only 1 version for Galaxy.

I see 2nd hand Galaxy 2.3A GHIA, but cant seems to find it listed as 'new'. Has it been discontinued?

It's no longer on sale. All 2-litre Ecoboost engines in 2 states of tune for Mondeo & Smax but only 1 version for Galaxy.

Turbocharged

WTF. If dont reveal then how are we going to calculate the depreciation per years?

These SE got to be given a slap! Shame on them.

Whats there to hide?

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

Anyone tried the Ford Galaxy and VW Sharan? Would like to check on the aircon for both car. Which is better? Understand that Ford is not that fantastic. How about the VW? Is it better than Ford? Personally think the Japs are still better in this department.

Edited by Gohks

Hi all,

Anyone tried the Ford Galaxy and VW Sharan? Would like to check on the aircon for both car. Which is better? Understand that Ford is not that fantastic. How about the VW? Is it better than Ford? Personally think the Japs are still better in this department.

Generally, Japanese aircon has better throughput.

Sharan might be better because of the placement of vents on the ceiling rather than on the pillars for the Galaxy.

Personally, the aircon is cold enough for me as a driver in the Galaxy, but some passengers would prefer it to be colder at the back.

If money is no object, the Sharan has the better features and will appeal to your passengers more. But it is still at least 25k more than the Galaxy, which is better to drive.

However, the gearbox for the Galaxy is rather lazy and clueless for a dual-clutch. It seems to be programmed for smoothness and is less aggressive than the VW one. It is also poor at the choice of gear needed in some conditions. It also lacks the paddle-shifters.

The main reason why I am driving the Galaxy Ecoboost is that the Sharan was launched a few months after I bought the Galaxy. Otherwise, I might have considered forking out a bit more for the Sharan.

Sharan might be better because of the placement of vents on the ceiling rather than on the pillars for the Galaxy.

Personally, the aircon is cold enough for me as a driver in the Galaxy, but some passengers would prefer it to be colder at the back.

If money is no object, the Sharan has the better features and will appeal to your passengers more. But it is still at least 25k more than the Galaxy, which is better to drive.

However, the gearbox for the Galaxy is rather lazy and clueless for a dual-clutch. It seems to be programmed for smoothness and is less aggressive than the VW one. It is also poor at the choice of gear needed in some conditions. It also lacks the paddle-shifters.

The main reason why I am driving the Galaxy Ecoboost is that the Sharan was launched a few months after I bought the Galaxy. Otherwise, I might have considered forking out a bit more for the Sharan.

$25K (or more) difference is not just abit more to me [:(]

However, the gearbox for the Galaxy is rather lazy and clueless for a dual-clutch. It seems to be programmed for smoothness and is less aggressive than the VW one. It is also poor at the choice of gear needed in some conditions.

Sorry, correction. I don't think it is merely the gearbox. I think it's the combination with the ECU programming for the turbo.

The gearbox holds gears unnecessarily at times even though there is enough power to shift up.

Anyone who suggests using manual override may be only half correct. Shifting up is nice, but the auto downshifts when braking are jerky.

In and around car parks, it shifts up too soon and causes the feeling of stalling if there isn't enough throttle input. Then the steering feel becomes even heavier.

In short - good engine, good gearbox but programming/software is crap. Ford and Regent Motors - listen up. Get your act together!

I don't think there are such complaints from car owners for the same engine - Volvo (S60/S80/XC60) and Range Rover (Evoque).

Edited by Grix17

$25K (or more) difference is not just abit more to me [:(]

When the Sharan was first launched, it was 180-190k. I got my Galaxy around 150k+ half a year before that.

That price is still acceptable to me now with COE prices about 20-30k higher than the time of the launch.

I wouldn't spend 220k now, even with the free 10 years' road tax.

I don't think there are such complaints from car owners for the same engine - Volvo (S60/S80/XC60) and Range Rover (Evoque).

Oops. I saw 2 complaints about the gearchange being slow/lazy for Volvo and Range Rover Evoque.

Looks like the same issue for all Ecoboost engines.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Both cars got their own strength. If you look at the cars alone, I agree that Sharan is a better package with more gadgets (reverse camera, park assist, etc). But if you look at the feedback on the after-sales services by VW, I think I will rather stick to Ford even though of the gearbox nix. The only thing that is swaying me away from Galaxy is that there is no sliding doors. This has become more or less a must as parking space in Singapore is getting smaller and cars are getting bigger. Hope that the next generation of Galaxy will have sliding doors.

Edited by Gohks

Thanks for the feedback. Both cars got their own strength. If you look at the cars alone, I agree that Sharan is a better package with more gadgets (reverse camera, park assist, etc). But if you look at the feedback on the after-sales services by VW, I think I will rather stick to Ford even though of the gearbox nix. The only thing that is swaying me away from Galaxy is that there is no sliding doors. This has become more or less a must as parking space in Singapore is getting smaller and cars are getting bigger. Hope that the next generation of Galaxy will have sliding doors.

I used to drive the Estima and my passengers miss the sliding doors. But for some multi-storey carparks, the pillars may obstruct the sliding of the doors. So in that sense, I don't miss it, as I can now park closer to the pillar. I have nearly hit the pillar twice while sliding the door open. Yes, given a choice I would still have a car with sliding doors for ease of entry/exit for my passengers.

The gearbox tends to take a while before it adapts to your driving style - if you have a consistent one.

During my last servicing, they had to reset the ECU to check a minor fault. After that, it took at least 2000 km of driving before the gearbox adapted to my driving style again. Now, I'm not complaining as much.

I'm curious to know what the next Galaxy will be like. I hope it won't be a dud. The new Focus isn't a great success I feel.

↡ Advertisement