• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
78 replies to this topic | 266 praises

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

Yellowrx8
  • Yellowrx8
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Jan 7, 2011
Thaipusam set to turn down volume
By Yen Feng

Following new guidelines issued by the Hindu Endowments Board (HEB), participants with piercings cannot hang or pull objects, such as coconuts or framed photographs, from their bodies. -- ST PHOTO

THIS year's Thaipusam celebrations will be a quieter affair if guidelines made public for the first time on Thursday by the Hindu Endowments Board (HEB) are enforced.

Those participating in the procession on Jan 19 and 20 are barred from playing recorded music or sounding gongs or drums.

Traditionally, the music - often played at a deafening volume - is seen as encouragement for those who pierce their bodies as an act of faith. Now, only the singing of hymns will be permitted.

Other rules include no shouting, and no paint or makeup to be used on either the devotees' faces or bodies. Those who flout the rules may be barred from future processions - or face a fine of up to $5,000 under the Public Order Act.

And for the first time, spike or chariot kavadi bearers are required to nominate a representative who will be responsible for their conduct.

The HEB said the rules mirrored guidelines set by the police for permits to hold Thaipusam celebrations. But they were put together for the first time this year for the public to address long-standing issues of crowd and noise control, officials from the two temples organising the procession said.

Link here

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:43 PM

Yellowrx8
  • Yellowrx8
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

In the near future, they will sure ban lion dance, chinese song ka, malay wedding liao...
Too noisy for the new immigrants

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

Rainbowbiatch
  • Rainbowbiatch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

was there really a problem with thaipusam celebration?
when i was still schooling at the old nafa campus(middle rd), every thaipusam, the indians will do their regular walks..

it was an eye opener for me.. not much of a noise pollution..

if it is deem as noise pollution, then what about malay weddings/chinese funeral?

damn we are losing our culture!

Edited by Rainbowbiatch, 10 January 2011 - 04:49 PM.

五月天-純真

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

Ngck
  • Premium member
    Ngck
    6th Gear
    Author Image

a nation of robotic workers without soul is what they want to achieve eventually
People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

Mockngbrd
  • Mockngbrd
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

although not a fan of all the noise but its part of parcel of living here with different cultures, i mean its only once a year so just let them do lo. kinda sux for them.
Garage36.com

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Yellowrx8
  • Yellowrx8
    4th Gear
    Author Image

"Now, only the singing of hymns will be permitted."
Then must put up BIG speaker for they to sing sleep.gif

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

Beehive3783
  • Premium member
    Beehive3783
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Reminds me of dumb and dumber..
Cheers
Ben

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

Pcslim
  • Pcslim
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Siao. Totally do not understand the rationale, as if the noise is all-year long. It is just a 2-day event!

Our month-long 7-mth getai and cny lion dance are even noisier. Just let pple celebrate lah. hur.gif

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

Davidcks
  • Premium member
    Davidcks
    4th Gear
    Author Image

wah lao...... this kind of event happens once a year only also want to control....... sigh..... maybe next time no fireworks to watch liao.... too noisy.....

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

Dafansu
  • Premium member
    Dafansu
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Siao. Totally do not understand the rationale, as if the noise is all-year long. It is just a 2-day event!

Our month-long 7-mth getai and cny lion dance are even noisier. Just let pple celebrate lah. hur.gif

If you stay along the route, I don't think you even want one day of disruption to your sleep.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

a nation of robotic workers without soul is what they want to achieve eventually

This is exactly the sort of society Orwell's 1984 warns against. All natural urges and pleasures are banned.

Kids should read that book (in addition to Orwell's Animal Farm).
This place is not what it used to be. I'm glad for the friends I made here. But I'm moving on, just like Porker and some others I know. Cheers!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

If you stay along the route, I don't think you even want one day of disruption to your sleep.

If other races can tolerate lion dance troupes during a certain period of the year, why can't you tolerate Thaipusam for an even narrower period of the year?
This place is not what it used to be. I'm glad for the friends I made here. But I'm moving on, just like Porker and some others I know. Cheers!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

Throttle2
  • Throttle2
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Jan 7, 2011
Thaipusam set to turn down volume
By Yen Feng

Following new guidelines issued by the Hindu Endowments Board (HEB), participants with piercings cannot hang or pull objects, such as coconuts or framed photographs, from their bodies. -- ST PHOTO

THIS year's Thaipusam celebrations will be a quieter affair if guidelines made public for the first time on Thursday by the Hindu Endowments Board (HEB) are enforced.

Those participating in the procession on Jan 19 and 20 are barred from playing recorded music or sounding gongs or drums.

Traditionally, the music - often played at a deafening volume - is seen as encouragement for those who pierce their bodies as an act of faith. Now, only the singing of hymns will be permitted.

Other rules include no shouting, and no paint or makeup to be used on either the devotees' faces or bodies. Those who flout the rules may be barred from future processions - or face a fine of up to $5,000 under the Public Order Act.

And for the first time, spike or chariot kavadi bearers are required to nominate a representative who will be responsible for their conduct.

The HEB said the rules mirrored guidelines set by the police for permits to hold Thaipusam celebrations. But they were put together for the first time this year for the public to address long-standing issues of crowd and noise control, officials from the two temples organising the procession said.

Link here

Thats good.
and fair
Targetting to truly retire by 2028
Give away my CPF
Travel the world and smoke those Cubans!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thats good.
and fair

So is it also good and fair if lion dance troupes are banned? They have loud drums, etc. too.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

Dafansu
  • Premium member
    Dafansu
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

If other races can tolerate lion dance troupes during a certain period of the year, why can't you tolerate Thaipusam for an even narrower period of the year?

Lion dance will play from 10pm to 8am without stopping? Just be at the Thaipusam 2 days events and you will understand what I mean.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Ladykillerz
  • Premium member
    Ladykillerz
    Supercharged
    Author Image

i think this is too extreme and it is not like everyday thingy.
too strict.
how about CNY lion dance, illegal parking during Fridays, etc.? =P
just to state some to compare the double standards. =P
Ladykillerz
The Sky's The Limit! [angel]

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Turbine
  • Turbine
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I sense Nazi here..
Maybe he is the one complained about this issue.. xD

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

Yellowrx8
  • Yellowrx8
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Lion dance will play from 10pm to 8am without stopping? Just be at the Thaipusam 2 days events and you will understand what I mean.

Instead of banning. Could have change the timing rite?
Need not to stop the culture thingy becos of some complain rite?

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

Dafansu
  • Premium member
    Dafansu
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Instead of banning. Could have change the timing rite?
Need not to stop the culture thingy becos of some complain rite?

It's a overnight thing, unless the organizer wants to change the timing, not sure if it's possible in the view of religion. I pity those staying near to the routes.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

Chengwh492
  • Chengwh492
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

funny they only control these mandane festive matters instead of proper patrolling and arresting the real terrorist and bad people.

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users