Keeping cars more than 10 years

Saviourwu

any car abv 35 years old is vintage.

can drive for 28 free days a year. other than that need coupon

Those 28 days are the days that u need the coupon. 28 days a year.

↡ Advertisement

bro, do share some of the past car you own. seem very reliable !

lancer 1.3 and subaru WRX STI. cost cheaper than new cars and last longer.

Just replace "car" with "wife" in your below post......n c if the same applies....

I guess the same will apply...that's why divorse rate so high.

Get the 5 year COE then convert to the red/yellow plate after the 5 years..

u pay 50% PQP for 5 years

Then once finish, u need to convert to red/yellow plate, 10% PQP

If you renew a 5 yr PQP you cannot renew it again.

If you renew a 5 yr PQP you cannot renew it again.

5 year COE can convert to classic plate. If car is 25 years old after conversion, then must scrap coz not 35 years yet

Sam also used to drive a 1 lit swift.

U n he same same ah. Swift to lancer. [rolleyes]

But I did not know him through the swift club or swift days.....Heard he is very active there.....

Not surprised.....He is still a handsome young man..... :D

But I did not know him through the swift club or swift days.....Heard he is very active there.....

Not surprised.....He is still a handsome young man..... :D

U also very humsom what.

But this is not an invitation fr u to mate wh me hor. :mellow:

I have been driving a Nissan jalopy for the past 10 years (bought it when it was 10 years old, so it is 20 years old today). I am the third owner. So used to it that I have no intention/motivation to change car, too bad there is a COE restriction.

However, be prepared to set aside S$5,000 at its 15 year old mark. Give the mechanical parts/structure a major change and it should last till its 20-year mark.

Before that I used to drive a 1982 Nissan Sunny from 1998 to 2001. Japanese cars are quite problem free.

Keynote: You need to find a good, trusty mechanic and stick to him. Don't repair unnecessarily, the process of repairing could introduce more problems if not done carefully. I usually prefer to change afew parts collectively at one go, rather than repairing one by one at separate visits.

so the total cost for keeping an old car for another 10 years would be COE + $5k maintainence + 50% more road tax? Any other extra costs for keeping old car compared to buying a new one? Will car insurance be also much cheaper for older cars?

i'm just trying to work out if it is worth it to keep old cars or just scrape and buy new one. If depreciation costs + maintainence is high for keeping old cars, we might as well buy new cars. anyone knows a good formula for calculation? [hur]

so the total cost for keeping an old car for another 10 years would be COE + $5k maintainence + 50% more road tax? Any other extra costs for keeping old car compared to buying a new one? Will car insurance be also much cheaper for older cars?

i'm just trying to work out if it is worth it to keep old cars or just scrape and buy new one. If depreciation costs + maintainence is high for keeping old cars, we might as well buy new cars. anyone knows a good formula for calculation? [hur]

Most important when u buy a COE car is its condition.

Get 1 that has been looked after n is still in very good condition. When u take over, treat it gently n maintain it well.

Like that it can last another 20 years even. If u suay n buy a piece of crap, then no matter how it wil not b worth cos always breakdown how u going to afford to keep sending fr repair.

U also very humsom what.

But this is not an invitation fr u to mate wh me hor. :mellow:

I not interested in guys. Not sure about him. [:p]

Most important when u buy a COE car is its condition.

Get 1 that has been looked after n is still in very good condition. When u take over, treat it gently n maintain it well.

Like that it can last another 20 years even. If u suay n buy a piece of crap, then no matter how it wil not b worth cos always breakdown how u going to afford to keep sending fr repair.

I would like to add that "no amount of engineering can keep the car in one piece".

[laugh]

Maintenance depends on the car. Insurance also depends on the car, but u can only get 3rd party(fire/theft). Doesn't mean it's cheaper, it could very well be more ex then new cars

I have been driving the old 1991 Nissan for the past 10 years. It is quite problem-free, but I also need to stress that I am an extremely gentle driver. I mainly use the car for traveling to and from home to workplace without carrying any passenger. It sits in the carpark most of the time as the nature of my work is office-based. It only clocks about 17,000km per year. When I bought it in 2001, a typical new corolla could cost $80k to $90k at that time. I bought this COE car at $40k. Its first owner drove it for 9 years, the second owner drove for less than 1 year and currently, I have been driving it for close to 10 years.

Saved quite abit on insurance as I bought the third party (with 50% NCD).

Before this presea, my previous old 1982 Nissan Sunny (also called Datsun 130Y in Malaysia) was bought from my father's mechanic (that probably explains why it was problem-free).

However, given the current context, I should think that it may be more economically-viable to get a 3-4 year old Nissan Sunny or Lancer, considering the low depreciation. My situation was slightly different because cars were really expensive in the late 90s to early 2000s era.

Edited by Albeniz
↡ Advertisement