Yet another measure to cool the SG property market

Greatbirdlegend

The newest attempt to cool the property market and stop short term speculation.

From what I understand - Loan to Valuation lowered to 60%, 40% cash or CPF.

Seller stamp duty raised to 16% on the 1st year sale, 12%, 8% and then 4% on subsequent years.

Pretty big changes in the short term.

http://www.mnd.gov.sg/newsroom/newsrelease...ews13012011.htm

↡ Advertisement

Why leh?

The rich people can afford the 40% cash. Especially so many middle class pple priced out.

I know of such people that can buy 7 units of a condo for flipping....

The middle class people cannot afford the 40%, thus they will not be able to earn from property...

Likely never to become rich this way.

As usual, MIW loves the elite and hates the rest of us.

This new rule don't affect genuine upgraders, only affect people who buys additional properties, or people who wants to buy and make quick sale for profit.

For the middle class who wants to invest in additional properties, faster finish pay off their existing loan lor, then the new loan can be 80%. Or save up enough for the 40% downpay.

Edited by Sgnick

The latest measures should weed out flippers who are looking for quick profit. I think prices will stablize especially private property but i don't think it will crash. The demand for housing is still strong if you look at the take up rate of BTO and EC of recent launch. Those are genuine buyers looking for house to stay and not speculate.

Neutral Newbie

I remember during those hey days of 1995, long queues were seen in many of the private property launches. The same thing is happening yet again.. humans never learn from history. Property prices have surpassed the 1996 peak. How much upside can there be? Very limited I can assure you.

And when property prices drop eventually.. Singaporeans will blame the government for not being proactive in curbing speculation. Damn if you do, damn if you don't. Whiners are everywhere...

"We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful." - Warren Buffett

Message is clear... Middle class dun day dream & hope to get rich fast. Be happy with the property u are staying.

Dun think there are many flippers left after the last cooling measure.

So don't think these measures will be very effective. Bulk of the market will be foreigners & up-graders. Let's see how the market will react.

I remember during those hey days of 1995, long queues were seen in many of the private property launches. The same thing is happening yet again.. humans never learn from history. Property prices have surpassed the 1996 peak. How much upside can there be? Very limited I can assure you.

And when property prices drop eventually.. Singaporeans will blame the government for not being proactive in curbing speculation. Damn if you do, damn if you don't. Whiners are everywhere...

"We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful." - Warren Buffett

Investors need these people to chase up the property prices before they can sell for big profit. If everyone don't want to buy, price stagnant don't go up don't go down, cannot buy low sell high, earn what? So be thankful got these people, don't call them whiners.

The differences between 1997 crash and now is supply is low and demand high due to massive immigrant influx. Don't think 1997 will happen again, cos the gov has learned from it (restrict supply and boost up demand), that why the massive importation of new immigrant.

Election coming lah..that's why so many changes lately...

COE also the same..soon 50% downpayment...

Cash is now king..I suspect there will be more people like the gentlemen in the SLA case...$$ pressures....singaporeans will be priced out by the richly paid FTs

Implementing concrete measure to halt or impede certain bad trends on some issue, should not be due to whether election is coming or not.

This measure is to stop flipping and those who invest in many properties, in the hope to net higher and higher rental.

Those who need housing for own stay are unlikely to be affected much.

Those who 'limit their vested interest' in properties for rental is also quite safe.

Only those who chiong and are purely speculators are to be slowed down.

Gov should also not entirely bear the blame for property speculation or those who are idiots and have a mindest...'buy now or else will increase further'.

The best moto is :

You buy, you and only you bear the risks and rewards be it ..UP or Down or stay stagnant for years. :D

Election coming lah..that's why so many changes lately...

COE also the same..soon 50% downpayment...

Cash is now king..I suspect there will be more people like the gentlemen in the SLA case...$$ pressures....singaporeans will be priced out by the richly paid FTs

yup... we're priced out by the rich FTs. The ang moh next to me is renting a B&W bungalow from SLA... monthly rental is 25k!

The rich people can afford the 40% cash. Especially so many middle class pple priced out.

I know of such people that can buy 7 units of a condo for flipping....

The middle class people cannot afford the 40%, thus they will not be able to earn from property...

Likely never to become rich this way.

As usual, MIW loves the elite and hates the rest of us.

thats is why pple speculate property and cause the price now

not about who can afford or not, it's to control those who try to speculate

if talking about HDB, rich pple already not into the picture, i tot they cant hold what 2 housing kind and muz sell 1 of it in recent measures also?

anyway condo etc no effect ,if middle class,needless to say to own 1..so leave it to the rich

↡ Advertisement