Life Span of CVT Gearbox

Yahgo22

Toyota Axio's CVT ..... needs special CVT oil which is quite expensive. Can't use other brands. Also, the manual says 80k change which is different from the normal ATF change at 40k. Maybe thats why it also cost double of normal ATF price.

OKay thanks, have u got a english manual for the Toyota Axio?? My manual is all in japanese and i can't understand a single thing..

LOL [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Driving/operating a auto tranny is not as easy as many think.

I did remember reading somewhere on proper procedure in engaging autobox, but couldn't find it now. It does not help that most car manuals don't teach owners the right things nowadays. Even specifications of sparkies, type of gear oil, etc, etc are missing in some of them.

Please kindly advise me the workshop that help you with the Japanese gearbox.

Calvin Auto .

Blk 3019A Ubi

Look for the boss, Ah Chua 96272767

Very meticulous and particular boss.

No rush job and always ensure that his workers do their job well.

He will personally check all their work before he hand over the cars

to the owners.

Was driving manual cars for 15 years before switching to an auto. When I had the auto car, I drove like manual, i.e. free gear when approaching or stopping at traffic lights and going down slopes. I have even gone down slopes on free gear for distance of 6 to 8 km. For 4.5 years covering 90k km I never had problem with gear box.

For that I always thought the GB will last very long like 10 years as long as it is serviced regularly and not abused. But I am surprised that some got GB problem even before the time to change timing belt!

any ws is able to do the job. Its just drain n refill only. 10 mins job.

That is not true for CVT GB. Not all workshop are experience with CVT, if they used the wrong CVT oil and did not exchange it correctly, they will screw up the CVT. That's happen to a Allion owner from Allion club some time ago.

Toyota CVT is very sensitive to the right CVT oil used.

For normal GB, it should be more straight forward.

oh s--t. does that mean my qashqai is better off going to TC for servicing? but fuk...they charge package, not for CVT fluid change only.

After driving a CVT Jazz for 4 yrs, i told myself to avoid CVT at all cost. When i heard horrible stories about CVT GB in SHC and FJC and how those owners have to pay and repair their CVT GB, driving my Jazz become like a time bomb as i don't know when will be my turn. I become KS and change CVT fluid every 30k so as to defer the problem as long as possible, driving it has to be gentle also. 4 yrs and close to 100k mileage and finally i quit and switch to conventional auto GB, no triptronic and stuff. I want a simple car that i can drive with a peace of mind.

Read somewhere that Jazz / Airwave CVT is known to breakdown quite easily. Wacked my airwave for 90+kkm without issue before selling it last year. Hope it still holds up with the next owner...

oh s--t. does that mean my qashqai is better off going to TC for servicing? but fuk...they charge package, not for CVT fluid change only.

u can buy CVT oil from Tan Chong and change outside. Tan Chong charged $188 for CVT changed - is it on the high side?

really? the other time i called TC, i said i want to do Engine Oil change only and they said cannot...must buy the package...zzz

After driving a CVT Jazz for 4 yrs, i told myself to avoid CVT at all cost. When i heard horrible stories about CVT GB in SHC and FJC and how those owners have to pay and repair their CVT GB, driving my Jazz become like a time bomb as i don't know when will be my turn. I become KS and change CVT fluid every 30k so as to defer the problem as long as possible, driving it has to be gentle also. 4 yrs and close to 100k mileage and finally i quit and switch to conventional auto GB, no triptronic and stuff. I want a simple car that i can drive with a peace of mind.

Fit is on CVT while Jazz is torque converter. So if you put CVT fluid in Jazz and ATF on Fit, [bigcry] [bigcry] [bigcry]

Some AD Wish are on 4AT while some newer batch are on CVT, if mechanic mixed it up, then [bigcry] [bigcry] [bigcry]

Edited by Kangadrool

the gb can last very long... my kaki's mileage ard 230k liao... still going strong... just do as my previous post... it will be very safe...

auto gb also need to maintain... ibut the frequency is lesser....

FYI: manual GB like type r recommended MTF change @10k ... but mostly done @20k... due to non-aggressive driving... so another thing to note for those aiming models powered by K20A [;)]

Supercharged

dun be so anxious abt CVT GB..... all auto GB are the same.

u think normal GB can last forever? All auto GB's lifespan is limited. that is why those ppl who are buying 2nd hand cars, especially those 10 yrs old, they will avoid auto GB, coz thats where auto GB will give problem after 10 yrs of usage.

So whether CVT or not, there is a lifespan.

if u are so scared, drive MANUAL gear!