Search
Ignition coil

• Search this thread
45 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

Sstar
  • Sstar
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Last night, my 4 year old Latio suddenly vibrated terribly afetr move off from traffic light, scared and called Insurance company immediately to tow to to Tan Chong Motor,
today I was informed 3 out of 4 ignition coils were damaged, the last one also degrade, might not last long. For safety and balance, they requested to replace 4 coils together. total cost was 800+, bigcry.gif bigcry.gif

Just wondering, what is the chance that 3 coils spoil at the same time? is it necessary to replace all the 4 coils?

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Carer
  • Carer
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

First u need to know what is the function of an ignition coil. it is to step up 12V to around 10,000 - 15,000V (if i remembered correctly) to create a spark across your spark plug.

so if the plug cannot spark properly, coil MAY (not definite) up lorry. it could be the cylinder not firing properly tat causes the engine vibration (something like going to die off?).

one way to check is change new plugs first. maybe plug is dirty and cannot fire properly due to water seepage. sometimes it is better to have a second opinion. go other workshop check yourself.

even doctors can give wrong diagnosis. just a word of caution.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

Moredhel
  • Moredhel
    6th Gear

Go get aftermarket coils better. Or get get from scrapyard.

800+ my arse.
Sexy Ass Tiko Ranger:- ^^
"How fortunate for leaders, that the masses do not think." - Hitler.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

Carer
  • Carer
    4th Gear

aftermarket coils usually provide higher voltage resulting in a better spark, and better combustion leading to improved efficiency.

but manufacturers already spent so much on R&D to improve car efficiency. so the stock coils already provide the best cost to effect ratio, no need to gei zua go buy expensive coils.

why people still change coils? tats because the stock ones are more expensive than aftermarket after mark up! unless stock ones up lorry, just keep it stock

Edited by Carer, 24 January 2011 - 06:45 PM.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

Moredhel
  • Moredhel
    6th Gear

aftermarket coils usually provide higher voltage resulting in a better spark, and better combustion leading to improved efficiency.

but manufacturers already spent so much on R&D to improve car efficiency. so the stock coils already provide the best cost to effect ratio, no need to gei zua go buy expensive coils.

why people still change coils? tats because the stock ones are more expensive than aftermarket after mark up! unless stock ones up lorry, just keep it stock

Wrong, manufacturers spent so much to ensure their car's reliability for 20-30 years engine wear and tear coz they scared kenna sue. In Sinkapore you won't drive your B&B for more than 10 years. So zhng abit for better driveability.

ADs charge too high becoz got alot of sotongs think original is best for B&Bs and ADs/Insurance uses scare tactics to ensure on-going carrot chopping business.

4 year old 4 ignition coils possibly die off?? Simi reliability?

Chances are that TS add too many additives which eat out the rubber seal of the piston or cylinders.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

Sstar
  • Sstar
    2nd Gear

First u need to know what is the function of an ignition coil. it is to step up 12V to around 10,000 - 15,000V (if i remembered correctly) to create a spark across your spark plug.

so if the plug cannot spark properly, coil MAY (not definite) up lorry. it could be the cylinder not firing properly tat causes the engine vibration (something like going to die off?).

one way to check is change new plugs first. maybe plug is dirty and cannot fire properly due to water seepage. sometimes it is better to have a second opinion. go other workshop check yourself.

even doctors can give wrong diagnosis. just a word of caution.

They told me the coil was short circuit. that means the coil can not gernerate high voltage, the car can not start any more.

But my car still can start most of the time leh....... 2 times failed to start with engine light on.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

Sstar
  • Sstar
    2nd Gear

Wrong, manufacturers spent so much to ensure their car's reliability for 20-30 years engine wear and tear coz they scared kenna sue. In Sinkapore you won't drive your B&B for more than 10 years. So zhng abit for better driveability.

ADs charge too high becoz got alot of sotongs think original is best for B&Bs and ADs/Insurance uses scare tactics to ensure on-going carrot chopping business.

Chances are that TS add too many additives which eat out the rubber seal of the piston or cylinders.

never add additives since day 1..........

stockist quote $110 per coil, other workshop quote $130+ per coil plus labour, and cost of tow service

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    6th Gear

stockist quote $110 per coil, other workshop quote $130+ per coil plus labour, and cost of tow service

Tan Chong's overhead high,so price sure more expensive[all the agents is the same.] than outside workshop.

Fairlady.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    6th Gear

Outside mostly use O.E.M.[no warranty] so it is also cheaper.

Fairlady.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious

It does not make sense. If the coils are affected that means the whole electrical system ranging from batt to alternator also got problem. Electrical components could be easily damaged if they suffer power starvation or surges. Better have a second opinion.
Winter is Coming!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

D3badge
  • D3badge
    5th Gear

It does not make sense. If the coils are affected that means the whole electrical system ranging from batt to alternator also got problem. Electrical components could be easily damaged if they suffer power starvation or surges. Better have a second opinion.

you dun need electric system to fail together

I had 2 out of 6 coil down before. and yes just the coil damage, change all sparks and coil, engine as good as before

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

Sstar
  • Sstar
    2nd Gear

if I decide not to repair at Tan Chong, do they have the rights to charge me for the diagnostics?

they spent quite a lot time and resource on this issue.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

D3badge
  • D3badge
    5th Gear

if I decide not to repair at Tan Chong, do they have the rights to charge me for the diagnostics?

they spent quite a lot time and resource on this issue.

I think they do after all labour is involve.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:04 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious

you dun need electric system to fail together

I had 2 out of 6 coil down before. and yes just the coil damage, change all sparks and coil, engine as good as before

I dunno how u concluded that I say the system fail. But if u insist I also no choice. Why not read again?

The problem I mentioned could be the charging system or the batt is weak, not able to output enough power for all the coils to work at their optimum thus leaving them to starve thus damaging the coils.

Edited by Watwheels, 24 January 2011 - 08:11 PM.

Winter is Coming!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged

The shop should use a spark inline spark tester to prove to you that the coil is KO.

Attached Thumbnails

• Spark_plug_Inline_Tester.jpg

Visit My Facebook for the latest automotive breaking news & innovative specialty tools.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

Carer
  • Carer
    4th Gear

It is this type of mentality tat keeps aftermarket workshops going and also the economy. keep it up.

for me, i will just keep it stock.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    4th Gear

coil failure is relatively common. why? cause everyone try to cut cost and use cheaper parts. and thus higher chance of breaking down. also the relatively higher under bonnet temps these days due to emission standards. so the coil is subjected to more 'torture' so fail lor.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

Ladykillerz
  • Ladykillerz
    6th Gear

stock coil got so easy kaput meh???
sure it's due to the coil or something else? hmmmmm...
Ladykillerz

The Sky's The Limit! [angel]

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

Moredhel
  • Moredhel
    6th Gear

It is this type of mentality tat keeps aftermarket workshops going and also the economy. keep it up.

for me, i will just keep it stock.

laugh.gif

I rather spread it out than leave it to one big organisation.

Stock = MIT, MIC

AFM = MIJ, MIC, MIT

Stock near to double of AFM performance types.

Just on cost to quality ratio and country of orgin, I would choose AFM over paying for an item which costs $30-50 to make and with a 400% to 750% mark up for the AD distribution line.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

Toledo
  • Toledo
    3rd Gear

if the coils fail, the car will judder and the engine shd cut off to prevent further damage. it happened to my wowo when 1 coil failed. it was just out of warranty but AD changed all 4 coils FOC. towing was also FOC. i just had to pay for the plugs <phew>. :-)

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users