Ignition coil

Sstar

Neutral Newbie

Last night, my 4 year old Latio suddenly vibrated terribly afetr move off from traffic light, scared and called Insurance company immediately to tow to to Tan Chong Motor,

today I was informed 3 out of 4 ignition coils were damaged, the last one also degrade, might not last long. For safety and balance, they requested to replace 4 coils together. total cost was 800+, [bigcry][bigcry]

Just wondering, what is the chance that 3 coils spoil at the same time? is it necessary to replace all the 4 coils?

↡ Advertisement

First u need to know what is the function of an ignition coil. it is to step up 12V to around 10,000 - 15,000V (if i remembered correctly) to create a spark across your spark plug.

so if the plug cannot spark properly, coil MAY (not definite) up lorry. it could be the cylinder not firing properly tat causes the engine vibration (something like going to die off?).

one way to check is change new plugs first. maybe plug is dirty and cannot fire properly due to water seepage. sometimes it is better to have a second opinion. go other workshop check yourself.

even doctors can give wrong diagnosis. just a word of caution.

aftermarket coils usually provide higher voltage resulting in a better spark, and better combustion leading to improved efficiency.

but manufacturers already spent so much on R&D to improve car efficiency. so the stock coils already provide the best cost to effect ratio, no need to gei zua go buy expensive coils.

why people still change coils? tats because the stock ones are more expensive than aftermarket after mark up! unless stock ones up lorry, just keep it stock

Edited by Carer

aftermarket coils usually provide higher voltage resulting in a better spark, and better combustion leading to improved efficiency.

but manufacturers already spent so much on R&D to improve car efficiency. so the stock coils already provide the best cost to effect ratio, no need to gei zua go buy expensive coils.

why people still change coils? tats because the stock ones are more expensive than aftermarket after mark up! unless stock ones up lorry, just keep it stock

Wrong, manufacturers spent so much to ensure their car's reliability for 20-30 years engine wear and tear coz they scared kenna sue. In Sinkapore you won't drive your B&B for more than 10 years. So zhng abit for better driveability.

ADs charge too high becoz got alot of sotongs think original is best for B&Bs and ADs/Insurance uses scare tactics to ensure on-going carrot chopping business.

4 year old 4 ignition coils possibly die off?? Simi reliability?

Chances are that TS add too many additives which eat out the rubber seal of the piston or cylinders.

Neutral Newbie

First u need to know what is the function of an ignition coil. it is to step up 12V to around 10,000 - 15,000V (if i remembered correctly) to create a spark across your spark plug.

so if the plug cannot spark properly, coil MAY (not definite) up lorry. it could be the cylinder not firing properly tat causes the engine vibration (something like going to die off?).

one way to check is change new plugs first. maybe plug is dirty and cannot fire properly due to water seepage. sometimes it is better to have a second opinion. go other workshop check yourself.

even doctors can give wrong diagnosis. just a word of caution.

They told me the coil was short circuit. that means the coil can not gernerate high voltage, the car can not start any more.

But my car still can start most of the time leh....... 2 times failed to start with engine light on.

Neutral Newbie

Wrong, manufacturers spent so much to ensure their car's reliability for 20-30 years engine wear and tear coz they scared kenna sue. In Sinkapore you won't drive your B&B for more than 10 years. So zhng abit for better driveability.

ADs charge too high becoz got alot of sotongs think original is best for B&Bs and ADs/Insurance uses scare tactics to ensure on-going carrot chopping business.

Chances are that TS add too many additives which eat out the rubber seal of the piston or cylinders.

never add additives since day 1..........

stockist quote $110 per coil, other workshop quote $130+ per coil plus labour, and cost of tow service

stockist quote $110 per coil, other workshop quote $130+ per coil plus labour, and cost of tow service

Tan Chong's overhead high,so price sure more expensive[all the agents is the same.] than outside workshop.

Outside mostly use O.E.M.[no warranty] so it is also cheaper.

It does not make sense. If the coils are affected that means the whole electrical system ranging from batt to alternator also got problem. Electrical components could be easily damaged if they suffer power starvation or surges. Better have a second opinion.

It does not make sense. If the coils are affected that means the whole electrical system ranging from batt to alternator also got problem. Electrical components could be easily damaged if they suffer power starvation or surges. Better have a second opinion.

you dun need electric system to fail together

I had 2 out of 6 coil down before. and yes just the coil damage, change all sparks and coil, engine as good as before

Neutral Newbie

if I decide not to repair at Tan Chong, do they have the rights to charge me for the diagnostics?

they spent quite a lot time and resource on this issue.

if I decide not to repair at Tan Chong, do they have the rights to charge me for the diagnostics?

they spent quite a lot time and resource on this issue.

I think they do after all labour is involve.

you dun need electric system to fail together

I had 2 out of 6 coil down before. and yes just the coil damage, change all sparks and coil, engine as good as before

I dunno how u concluded that I say the system fail. But if u insist I also no choice. Why not read again?

The problem I mentioned could be the charging system or the batt is weak, not able to output enough power for all the coils to work at their optimum thus leaving them to starve thus damaging the coils.

Edited by Watwheels

It is this type of mentality tat keeps aftermarket workshops going and also the economy. keep it up.

for me, i will just keep it stock.

coil failure is relatively common. why? cause everyone try to cut cost and use cheaper parts. and thus higher chance of breaking down. also the relatively higher under bonnet temps these days due to emission standards. so the coil is subjected to more 'torture' so fail lor.