Why do some brakes get rusty ?

Purezazn

Neutral Newbie

What is the reason ? i often saw those cars with rusty brake disk ... from what i know is not cause by rain , else my car would have those rusty brakes too ... someone enlighten me pls ? Happy chinese new year !

↡ Advertisement

What is the reason ? i often saw those cars with rusty brake disk ... from what i know is not cause by rain , else my car would have those rusty brakes too ... someone enlighten me pls ? Happy chinese new year !

huuh?? u mean ur brake disk doesnt show any rust stain b4?? :huh::huh:

do a search has been discussed before...

iron will rust... period...

reason why sometimes dont rust is because probably just parked, so the disc very hot water evaporated... if stationary parked for hours then rain, sure rust...

brake disc will not rust easily unless it was left untouch for month. those bronze/yellowish colour rotor you see day in day out is the rust of brake dust...................

Then wont the rotors get thinner and thinner over time? Since the top layer is always getting rusted and scrape off when brakes are applied. This proccess will keep repeating right?

Then wont the rotors get thinner and thinner over time? Since the top layer is always getting rusted and scrape off when brakes are applied. This proccess will keep repeating right?

Should be the brake pad gets thinner, because it is softer material.

yes, infact, even it doesnt rust, it will get thinner over time. when brake is applied, the brake pad will touch the rotor to create friction in terms to stop the wheel... the friction will cause wear on both brake pad n rotor, brake pad will worn faster because its a softer material n rotor will worn slower......

Edited by Tigershark1976

yes, infact, even it doesnt rust, it will get thinner over time. when brake is applied, the brake pad will touch the rotor to create friction in terms to stop the wheel... the friction will cause wear on both brake pad n rotor, brake pad will worn faster because its a softer material n rotor will worn slower......

chances are you will get a warped rotor before it get too thin......

Because they are not using ceramic brakes meh.

Rust FORMS on top of the brake discs. Not the top layer of brake discs become rust.

Rust FORMS on top of the brake discs. Not the top layer of brake discs become rust.

I don't get what you meant, if you are correcting my english. I meant the surface of the rotors when I said top layer. Or are you trying to say things dont get rusty but rust forms on the surface of metal instead?

So where does the Iron that is part of the Iron Oxide i.e. rust coming from? Not from the brake disc's surface then from air?? [rolleyes]

Like that i build a large condenser unit to collect iron oxide from air and then reduce the rust to produce iron liao lor. makes tonnes of $$$$. [laugh]

chances are you will get a warped rotor before it get too thin......

yes it is true, and for my combo the brake disc rotors are cheaper than the brake pads... :wacko:

brake disc will not rust easily unless it was left untouch for month. those bronze/yellowish colour rotor you see day in day out is the rust of brake dust...................

I have no idea what you are talking about :wacko: