New Car - polishing and waxing method?

Grix17

Hi, I'm expecting a new car in a few weeks and am planning to put a few layers of sealant at the very start.

I have been using Autoglym SRP and Extra Gloss Protection for my current ride.

My question is this:

If the car is new, should I still use polish (SRP) before I apply the first layer of hard wax (Extra Gloss Protection)?

↡ Advertisement

Hi, I'm expecting a new car in a few weeks and am planning to put a few layers of sealant at the very start.

My question is this:

If the car is new, should I still use polish (SRP) before I apply the first layer of hard wax (Extra Gloss Protection)?

Hi..congrat on your new ride..came across in autopia that SRP contain micro-abrasive in it..Not to worry actually..Just like some product..when on a polishing pads..it act as a polish product but on a finishing pads..it can be a finishing product..instead on doing some rubbing on the surface..Simply apply it without using any force or pressure on it..remove it with a dry cloth..Need not wait for it to haze since it is use as a cleaning only..

Cheers

Benny

Twincharged

Hi..congrat on your new ride..came across in autopia that SRP contain micro-abrasive in it..Not to worry actually..Just like some product..when on a polishing pads..it act as a polish product but on a finishing pads..it can be a finishing product..instead on doing some rubbing on the surface..Simply apply it without using any force or pressure on it..remove it with a dry cloth..Need not wait for it to haze since it is use as a cleaning only..

Cheers

Benny

Most finishing products have some abrasives in them also. And quite alot of people also use srp as the last step of polishing before waxing. Wait for it to haze will be better because he is going to apply EGP after that. EGP was designed to work with SRP if I am not wrong and it will look better. SRP is also able to provide some protection like a sealant.

Most finishing products have some abrasives in them also. And quite alot of people also use srp as the last step of polishing before waxing. Wait for it to haze will be better because he is going to apply EGP after that. EGP was designed to work with SRP if I am not wrong and it will look better. SRP is also able to provide some protection like a sealant.

Finishing product as in LSP?? Care to share which LSP has abrasive in it..

My LSP would refer to as wax or a sealant..

Cheers

Benny

Edited by Mad_Detailer

Twincharged

Finishing product as in LSP?? Care to share which LSP has abrasive in it..

My LSP would refer to as wax or a sealant..

Cheers

Benny

Finishing product I thought u really meant finishing polish cuz u asked him to use a finishing pad. Normally most people refer wax/sealant as LSP and not finishing product ma.

Neutral Newbie

Compound - Abrasive

Cleaner - some abrasive

polish - little or no abrasive

Wax/sealant - no abrasive

That's just a guide. Some product is cleaner polish, some is polishing sealant, etc. Some are one step cleaner wax.

Pure wax/sealant requires you to prep/prime the surface very clean. Therefore some wax contains cleaner/polish.

SRP alone has some sealant, but EG will add on more protection and gloss. It is like after using 2 in 1 shampoo on the hair, you go one more step by using dedicated hair treatment oil.

My question is this:

Yes why not. Maybe you can clay it if u want. Sure a lot of contaminants on surface during shipping.

Twincharged

Compound - Abrasive

Cleaner - some abrasive

polish - little or no abrasive

Wax/sealant - no abrasive

That's just a guide. Some product is cleaner polish, some is polishing sealant, etc. Some are one step cleaner wax.

Pure wax/sealant requires you to prep/prime the surface very clean. Therefore some wax contains cleaner/polish.

SRP alone has some sealant, but EG will add on more protection and gloss. It is like after using 2 in 1 shampoo on the hair, you go one more step by using dedicated hair treatment oil.

I thought usually polish is the one with some abrasives and cleaner is the one with little or no abrasive just to prep the surface for wax/sealant.

Finishing product I thought u really meant finishing polish cuz u asked him to use a finishing pad. Normally most people refer wax/sealant as LSP and not finishing product ma.

I was referring to another product..an example only

Neutral Newbie

I thought usually polish is the one with some abrasives and cleaner is the one with little or no abrasive just to prep the surface for wax/sealant.

Depending on the maker, some of them named the cleaner to be higher abrasiveness, some named polish to be higher abrasiveness.

e.g. Meguiars Pro range, Cleaner/Compound very abrasive, and Cleaner/Polish is more abrasive than Pure Polish.

Meguiars

So just read the details what you are using, if you are going the detailer way.

If not, just use any DIY range of products no headache.

Neutral Newbie

I heard someone mentioning Gen2...... [:p]

I will suggest you do a proper wash down with car shampoo, clay if needed, than clean up the paint work with SRP and finish with EGP. You will not know what the dealer has put on the paint work, so it will be better to do a proper first coating when you have collected your car.

One suggestion when using the SRP, no need to apply so thick untill the whole car turns white. A thin even coating will be good enough. Hope this helps.

Edited by Gen2

I heard someone mentioning Gen2...... [:p]

I will suggest you do a proper wash down with car shampoo, clay if needed, than clean up the paint work with SRP and finish with EGP. You will not know what the dealer has put on the paint work, so it will be better to do a proper first coating when you have collected your car.

One suggestion when using the SRP, no need to apply so thick untill the whole car turns white. A thin even coating will be good enough. Hope this helps.

Haha, thanks for the useful tips =)

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions too!

hi all,

i just bought a new car and would like to find out on some good recommendation for car wash products(cheap and good)?

and how often do you peepz wash your cars ( DIY or professional car washers)?

thank you in advance

↡ Advertisement