About Blu-ray movies

Hensony

Hi Bros,

I have some questions regarding Blu-ray movies.

Does it make sense to buy movies that were made in the 80s and earlier? Were these movies already shot in HD then?

I was browsing www.blu-ray.com when I came across movies as early as those made in 1920s. [sweatdrop]

Appreciate some enlightenment. Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Hi Bluray is a relatively "recent" technology launched by Sony some 5-7 years ago. In fact the format wars between HD DVD and Bluray only ended in 2007-2008.

Bluray resolutions start from 720p all the way upto "Full HD" at 1080p. This means that there are 1980 x 1080 pixels forming the picture on the screen. And movies short in native bluray format in full HD will have formats filling up all of the pixels.

Older DVD movies shot in the 1980s and 1990s were originally shot in SD format with native resolution at 576i. Depending on the aspect ratios this means the native picture has less then 1/2 of the data needed to fill the 1980 x 1080 pixels on a full HD TV. As a comparison a standard DVD holds average 4.7gig of data. A Bluray disk stores between 25-50 gig of data.

Many of the older Bluray movies have been "reformatted" so that the picture quality is upscaled and remastered on a bluray disk. The producers have actually "filled in" the missing pixels and reshort these on a bluray disk. The picture quality will be a vast improvement over the older DVD versions. The sound quality will also be much better as Bluray dvds usually come with 5.1 DTS Dolby Digital sounds (compared to the old 2.1 channel sounds common in the 1980s).

Having said that they still cannot compare in quality with a bonafide bluray movie that was originally short in HD format. But as these are often classic collectors items a bluray version of these movies may be the only available option if you want to keep them as even DVDs will degrade over several years.

The other advantage of the bluray movies is that many come with Bluray Life packaged and if your bluray player is hoooked to the internet this means it will automatically download and play from the internet more background materials on the movie.

Hope that helps.

Hi Bros,

Does it make sense to buy movies that were made in the 80s and earlier? Were these movies already shot in HD then?

I was browsing www.blu-ray.com when I came across movies as early as those made in 1920s. [sweatdrop]

I got Rambo 1,2,3 and 4 in hd. Very good. Send a pm to wreckrex.. He is expert

Hi Bros,

Ur own call.

Soonmunn had said some points to your understanding.

Blu ray is 1920 by 1080.

Back then, there's no HD at all.

Those are remastered blu ray you are talking about. Yes, adding on and upscale to fit the current HD TV.

Video / Audio - all gone through remastered stage to obtain the highest quality.

But bear in mind, some 2.0 back then might no 5.1 on BD. Min is Dolby Digital.

Im sure u know why BD is so huge.

Not just the video but audio, it consists various audio format in it.

U have to see what the disc have to offer first.

And also, if you like to watch on HD format for older movies.

I will say, go ahead. Older movies are relatively cheaper and most of the people are starting to buy BD already although DVD is still in great demand.

VCD and DVD will be phasing out sooner or later.

Put ur best bet man.

In case, you are interested: http://www.videohelp.com/hd

Neutral Newbie

Hi Bros,

Not all old Blu-rays movies are remastered by filling in the pixels. Older movies shot before the Blu-ray era can also give you very good quality. And close to those shot in HD format.

This is because, older movies are shot in film. Film itself are very high quality. The films are scanned into digital format. Depending on the resolution of scans, the quality of film produced are as good as those shot in Blu-ray. A simple analogy will be 'Can older camera pictures (film) taken before digital cameras came about produced high quality images...' Yes it can, if the original film are of good quality and scanned at high resolutions. The same applies to movies, but frame by frame painstaking work is needed.

Go to a Blu-ray shop, there is one at Ang Mo Kio called Video-Hub that has hundreds of titles for rental. Rent older movies like 'The Thing' that is shot in 1980. You will be surprised at the fine quality and would think it is shot in HD.

I have seen most of their Blu-rays there. Older titles in 1980 or 90s also have Blu-ray quality picture quality.

Not all old Blu-rays movies are remastered by filling in the pixels. Older movies shot before the Blu-ray era can also give you very good quality. And close to those shot in HD format.

This is because, older movies are shot in film. Film itself are very high quality. The films are scanned into digital format. Depending on the resolution of scans, the quality of film produced are as good as those shot in Blu-ray. A simple analogy will be 'Can older camera pictures (film) taken before digital cameras came about produced high quality images...' Yes it can, if the original film are of good quality and scanned at high resolutions. The same applies to movies, but frame by frame painstaking work is needed.

Go to a Blu-ray shop, there is one at Ang Mo Kio called Video-Hub that has hundreds of titles for rental. Rent older movies like 'The Thing' that is shot in 1980. You will be surprised at the fine quality and would think it is shot in HD.

I have seen most of their Blu-rays there. Older titles in 1980 or 90s also have Blu-ray quality picture quality.

Doh! someone beat me in answering this....

It is true that you can't make a sweeping statement that all movies made prior to blu ray era can't be as clear as blu ray. In fact, even up to NOW, most movies are still made using the exact 24mm film and camera which is later digitized into digital media such as blu ray. There are some exception, for example, LucasFilm are filmed entirely in digital, no films used. There's a disadvantage of using film and store in Bluray. You will tend to see more fim artifacts like grains, expecially in the dark scenes.

In the digital photography, if you check out luminous-landscape.com, years ago, someone compared a 35mm film's resolution with a 16 megapixel Canon 1-DS. It is found that 1-DS is only marginally better than a 35mm film's resolution. So, you see, a film can store high resolution.

Doh! someone beat me in answering this....

It is true that you can't make a sweeping statement that all movies made prior to blu ray era can't be as clear as blu ray. In fact, even up to NOW, most movies are still made using the exact 24mm film and camera which is later digitized into digital media such as blu ray. There are some exception, for example, LucasFilm are filmed entirely in digital, no films used. There's a disadvantage of using film and store in Bluray. You will tend to see more fim artifacts like grains, expecially in the dark scenes.

In the digital photography, if you check out luminous-landscape.com, years ago, someone compared a 35mm film's resolution with a 16 megapixel Canon 1-DS. It is found that 1-DS is only marginally better than a 35mm film's resolution. So, you see, a film can store high resolution.

So that means have to go back to using Kodak.. [rolleyes]

I got a question, will Blu-ray discs degrade or "rot" like DVD discs?

Based on experience from DVDs, Companies manufacturing BDs using scratch resistant plastic with special coated rot-resistant dye...

I can attest to the BDs being more scratch resistant than DVDs, esp PS3 BDs...As for rotting, we'll just have to wait and see..

noob understand we are blueray region 1, but if I wanna buy australia movie they are region 2 can my PS3 play them? or die die stick to region 1?

I can play bluray disk bought in US using my Samsung bluray player.

But the DVD bought in US cannot.

I assume bluray has remove the region restriction. Yes/No?

I got a question, will Blu-ray discs degrade or "rot" like DVD discs?

Not sure if those mass produced discs will suffer dye rotting because mass produced discs are printed from a mask, not burned onto a dye. It is those dye ones that will rot.

if i am not wrong, if you wanna beat the old film, you must have full frame or medium format or large format camera which most of the time is simply too big to bring around :wacko::blink:

most people are discourage by the prices, size and weight of full frame camera

↡ Advertisement