Skinky's Guide to Driving all over Malaysia & Thailand (v3)

Skinky

Neutral Newbie

Can anyone advice how we can get comprehensive insurance coverage for SG car to drive to Ko Samui?

I've asked my insurance brokers but them seem clueless.

Thanks

Matt

Nope. No insurance company will do so. Even if they did, they'd charge you a bomb. It is considered as an island and not mainland Thailand.

So you go with the risk..... but not much to worry about. Traffic there is not heavy lah...... on mainland, you're already covered with some insurance companies (do a check for how far into Thailand it already covers)

So primary risk is for the ferry to sink...... which I don't think it happens often. :P

Do check out my post on Samui some many, many threads back...... hope it's still there.

Neutral Newbie

F2. Driving up to Thailand

I have gone up to Southern Thailand till Hat Yai from Penang, and it is a pretty much easy to commute trip.

From Penang to the Thai border, it is a straight road all the way up, bypassing Alor Star (stop by and have a meal there !) and should take you approximately 2 hours+. 1 Hr + for faster cars. Funnily I have not gotten caught for speeding before from penang onwards.

Before you near the customs, there will be many insurance outlets around the area before the customs side. Keep an eye out and stop at the first ones. There, you can buy your insurance for very little money and they will prepare all the forms and everything for you. Ensure you bring your log card.

Once that is done, head on up to the Msia customs (as per normal like sg into msia) and drive to the thai/msia side. You will bypass a duty free shopping center where you can buy all your alcohol and other stuffs. It's quite cheap so dun forget to buy em there.

After that, head on towards the thai customs but do not drive through. You have to park at the left side of the customs (big outdoor carpark) but take note don't park anywhere with signs saying "NO PARKING" or you will have a handcuff cuffed to your door and may have to pay the fine. (Yes, we kena)

After parking, go queue at the customs booth and pay RM1 for your passport to be chopped. Drivers must go to another side to get their cars validated. Once everything is done, drive the car through that same counter and get a piece of paper from the officer who will be holding it.

If you are lazy and don't wish to do any of the above, you will realise that you can actually drive through without doing any of the above. But of course, you are illegally entering thailand. It is a risk that some do take and you can opt to do it too, but do remember your butthole can only get poked so many times in jail before it runs out of warranty.

So once you are done, welcome to the town of danok, thailand. This town is perfect for guys as they have various bars where men can test drive different boobs. Now, this is a different story all together and I am not claiming I have test driven any boobs. It was told to me by a friend of a friend, of a friend. I continued driving to Hat Yai, a more palatable and bigger town in my opinion where you can grab amazing food and get the most wonderful foot massages at a reasonable price.

Going back is exactly the opposite. If you are lost as to what I mean, proceed to read from this paragraph backwards to the first paragraph. You will find yourself back in malaysia.

Take note - You can't take any alcohol back into malaysia and don't try it. (yes, we got caught). Once you get back to the msia side, you will find yourself at an M'sian Army Roadblock. Put on your best ugly smile and call the nice officer encik, and he will wave you on. They are checking for drug addicts, and suspicious people.

There are some great photo journals of many forum members into Thailand that I have read up on. Please do a search and refer to those for photos and a more accurate dollar and cents read through.

Hi,

I am planning for a road trip with my family this December Holidays to Krabi Thailand. As I will be travelling alone, your information is really useful.

So just checking, I would only need to bring my log card/paper only for entrance to Thailand?

You mentioned insurance outlet. What is it for and is it compulsory?

Thanks.

Hi,

I am planning for a road trip with my family this December Holidays to Krabi Thailand. As I will be travelling alone, your information is really useful.

So just checking, I would only need to bring my log card/paper only for entrance to Thailand?

You mentioned insurance outlet. What is it for and is it compulsory?

Thanks.

Once you cross the Thai border you need to buy insurance for your car. It is illegal to drive your car in Thailand without insurance. (You can choose not to buy, but don't get into accident or police check.)

Thus you need to buy 3rd party insurance coverage. (which I think last for 7 or 14 days)

The shops immediately after the Thai customs on the left sells the insurance. Its quite cheap, probably $20 thereabouts, can't remember.

If you fancy you can also buy a Thai carplate sticker (now u can see many in Singapore) but its not compulsory.

Impt Note:

- Log card must have name of owner which must also be present. (Not a problem if car belongs to you)

- I tried to print from LTA website when I was in Penang, the name was not on the document and I was very nearly screwed as they refused me entry.

Edited by Windchoco

Neutral Newbie

Once you cross the Thai border you need to buy insurance for your car. It is illegal to drive your car in Thailand without insurance. (You can choose not to buy, but don't get into accident or police check.)

Thus you need to buy 3rd party insurance coverage. (which I think last for 7 or 14 days)

The shops immediately after the Thai customs on the left sells the insurance. Its quite cheap, probably $20 thereabouts, can't remember.

If you fancy you can also buy a Thai carplate sticker (now u can see many in Singapore) but its not compulsory.

Impt Note:

- Log card must have name of owner which must also be present. (Not a problem if car belongs to you)

- I tried to print from LTA website when I was in Penang, the name was not on the document and I was very nearly screwed as they refused me entry.

Thanks so much for your info.

So, no other special permits to prepare?

Edited by Nqh71

Thanks so much for your info.

So, no other special permits to prepare?

No.

What I did was to follow the Malaysians' actions, as process can be quite confusing for the first time.

Will be renting a car in Phuket. Can we use s'pore driving license or need to get int'l one?

Will be renting a car in Phuket. Can we use s'pore driving license or need to get int'l one?

I visited Phuket regularly over the past few years to bum at the beach resorts, and rented a car from my usual rental coy every single time. Never had the need to produce an IDP, in fact i just prep a photocopy of my driving license and passport in SG, and hand that over when i collect the car, and off i go. To be safe, just make sure your rental car has full insurance coverage in case things go south.
  • Praise 1

One of my fav MCF threads.

[grin]

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/no-passport-no-problem-030045861.html

No passport?

No problem at M'sia-Thai border

BUKIT KAYU HITAM: For a ride of just a kilometre long, the fee you have to pay is a whopping RM350.

But if you find yourself without a passport and need to cross the Malaysian-Thai border, that fee guarantees you a hassle-free entry into Thailand and vice versa.

That is the “covert” service offered by motorcyclists turned taximen at the Malaysia-Thailand checkpoint in Bukit Kayu Hitam.

The motorcyclists, comprising Malaysians and Thais, offer the transport service to those wishing to cross from the Bukit Kayu Hitam Customs, Immigration, Quarantine and Security (CIQS) Complex to the Duty Free Complex or the Thai Immigration Complex for a fee of between RM5 and RM10, if you happen to have all the necessary travel documents.

However, those without travel documents are charged RM350.

The New Straits Times learnt that the “service” had been around for some time, but previously the taximen would charge between RM80 and RM200.

The motorcycle taxi riders, commonly known as motoesai rap chang among the Thais, have been raking in huge profits, especially on weekends when the number of people crossing the border into Thailand is at its peak.

The NST team inquired about the services provided by the motorcyclists yesterday.

One of them, a local in his 40s, guaranteed he could smuggle people across the Thai checkpoint without any travel documents.

He approached this reporter, offering his services for RM10.

When told a second person wanted to cross the border but had forgotten to bring his passport, the man said he could make the necessary arrangements.

“I can help but you have to pay more, of course. I’m charging RM350 per person but I can only send you as far as Danok.

“I will have to ‘pay’ those manning the Immigration counters on the other (Thai) side to get through. I promise you, as long as we pay them, you will have no problem crossing the border,” he said.

The man and his colleagues operate under canopies erected on both sides of the border checkpoints.

During yesterday’s stake-out, there were 10 motorcycles and three cars, mostly bearing Thai-registration, parked near the makeshift counters.

Besides the motorcycle taxis, the men also offer group rides in cars to southern Thai towns, from Danok to Hatyai.

However, those boarding the cars are required to carry travel documents, as they have to go through the check-points.

It is learnt that some of the customers are those who are barred from leaving the country.

Malaysian consul-general in Songkhla, Mohd Afandi Abu Bakar, advised visitors to use proper travel documents to enter Thailand to avoid getting into trouble.

He said the number of Malaysians caught for illegally entering Thailand was small.

However, he said, it would be wise for them to avoid taking such risks.

“Offhand, I do not have the figures, but the number is small 

compared with those caught for criminal activities, such as drug offences.

“We strongly advise Malaysians not to take risks... use proper travel documents to cross the border,” he told the NST yesterday.

It is understood that those caught for failing to produce valid travel documents in Thailand could be fined up to 2,000 baht (about RM250) or risk being detained until they can produce their passports.

• Praise 4

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/no-passport-no-problem-030045861.html

No passport?

No problem at M'sia-Thai border

BUKIT KAYU HITAM: For a ride of just a kilometre long, the fee you have to pay is a whopping RM350.

But if you find yourself without a passport and need to cross the Malaysian-Thai border, that fee guarantees you a hassle-free entry into Thailand and vice versa.

That is the âcovertâ service offered by motorcyclists turned taximen at the Malaysia-Thailand checkpoint in Bukit Kayu Hitam.

The motorcyclists, comprising Malaysians and Thais, offer the transport service to those wishing to cross from the Bukit Kayu Hitam Customs, Immigration, Quarantine and Security (CIQS) Complex to the Duty Free Complex or the Thai Immigration Complex for a fee of between RM5 and RM10, if you happen to have all the necessary travel documents.

However, those without travel documents are charged RM350.

The New Straits Times learnt that the âserviceâ had been around for some time, but previously the taximen would charge between RM80 and RM200.

The motorcycle taxi riders, commonly known as motoesai rap chang among the Thais, have been raking in huge profits, especially on weekends when the number of people crossing the border into Thailand is at its peak.

The NST team inquired about the services provided by the motorcyclists yesterday.

One of them, a local in his 40s, guaranteed he could smuggle people across the Thai checkpoint without any travel documents.

He approached this reporter, offering his services for RM10.

When told a second person wanted to cross the border but had forgotten to bring his passport, the man said he could make the necessary arrangements.

âI can help but you have to pay more, of course. Iâm charging RM350 per person but I can only send you as far as Danok.

âI will have to âpayâ those manning the Immigration counters on the other (Thai) side to get through. I promise you, as long as we pay them, you will have no problem crossing the border,â he said.

The man and his colleagues operate under canopies erected on both sides of the border checkpoints.

During yesterdayâs stake-out, there were 10 motorcycles and three cars, mostly bearing Thai-registration, parked near the makeshift counters.

Besides the motorcycle taxis, the men also offer group rides in cars to southern Thai towns, from Danok to Hatyai.

However, those boarding the cars are required to carry travel documents, as they have to go through the check-points.

It is learnt that some of the customers are those who are barred from leaving the country.

Malaysian consul-general in Songkhla, Mohd Afandi Abu Bakar, advised visitors to use proper travel documents to enter Thailand to avoid getting into trouble.

He said the number of Malaysians caught for illegally entering Thailand was small.

However, he said, it would be wise for them to avoid taking such risks.

âOffhand, I do not have the figures, but the number is small

compared with those caught for criminal activities, such as drug offences.

âWe strongly advise Malaysians not to take risks... use proper travel documents to cross the border,â he told the NST yesterday.

It is understood that those caught for failing to produce valid travel documents in Thailand could be fined up to 2,000 baht (about RM250) or risk being detained until they can produce their passports.

That makes south Thailand more dangerous.

Maybe next time can transport my car undetected if I forget my logcard :XD:

• Praise 3

Hi All,

I'm doing my first trip to KL next Sat with a few friends after getting a my car (about 1.5mnth ago).

Is there anything that i should look out for when driving there? Is there like any different? 

Yeah, im still on my P-Plate ;) 

With the news of all the car thefts and such... a friend told me that i should get a decent alarm and some kinda lock.

After some research, the Viper Alarm system seems to be something which might make me more at ease.

It also comes with a real time tracking and also a highjack mode where in the situation when your car is taken from you, the fuel will cut once it hits a defined RPM.

In addition, am getting the Raslok and a pedal lock which i reckon should deter most wannabe thefts.

As i have been informed by many, always head in...Maybe i am a tad bit paranoid with 3 defence system. ;p

I'm planning of reaching Woodlands checkpoint by 6am to hopefully avoid the jam which should make it a more peaceful drive

Hi All,

I'm doing my first trip to KL next Sat with a few friends after getting a my car (about 1.5mnth ago).

Is there anything that i should look out for when driving there? Is there like any different?

Yeah, im still on my P-Plate ;)

With the news of all the car thefts and such... a friend told me that i should get a decent alarm and some kinda lock.

After some research, the Viper Alarm system seems to be something which might make me more at ease.

It also comes with a real time tracking and also a highjack mode where in the situation when your car is taken from you, the fuel will cut once it hits a defined RPM.

In addition, am getting the Raslok and a pedal lock which i reckon should deter most wannabe thefts.

As i have been informed by many, always head in...Maybe i am a tad bit paranoid with 3 defence system. ;p

I'm planning of reaching Woodlands checkpoint by 6am to hopefully avoid the jam which should make it a more peaceful drive

As you mention you are still P plate. Don't over speed. Always keep to left Lane unless overtaking.

Watch your speed when you see wind socks.

Never seen a wind sock before? Go to LCK aeroplane road, you can see liao. :D

Robbers, car jacking, nothing much you can help except using some common sense. The rest is pure luck whether you are targeted or not. You can put alarms, GPS tracker.... but they can remove your car in 1 min without setting anything off.

If new car lost, just report polis to claim your insurance. Most insurance package from AD entitle you for 1 for 1 new replacement in the first year. And maybe that could be a blessing in disguise (sometimes).

Edited by Kangadrool

Always keep to the left most lane within the speed limit and enjoy your first...

clear carbon part can always come later when the P is gone.

Park head in for fwd and back in for rwd and pray no need for a tow. Ok lah, with frenz with you they can help to push it out for tow.

Don't worry too much. Take the calculated risk and brave the adventure.

• Praise 2

Thanks folks for the update. 

Quite useful insights....Yeah i guess its called taking calculated risk.

Yeah heard should always park head in to avoid tow... 

But yeah la if its a target just pray.. but im just driving a toyota... so hopefully its not a target..lol

↡ Advertisement