Skinky's Guide to Driving all over Malaysia & Thailand (v3)

Skinky

Hi All,

I'm doing my first trip to KL next Sat with a few friends after getting a my car (about 1.5mnth ago).

Is there anything that i should look out for when driving there? Is there like any different? 

Yeah, im still on my P-Plate ;) 

With the news of all the car thefts and such... a friend told me that i should get a decent alarm and some kinda lock.

After some research, the Viper Alarm system seems to be something which might make me more at ease.

It also comes with a real time tracking and also a highjack mode where in the situation when your car is taken from you, the fuel will cut once it hits a defined RPM.

In addition, am getting the Raslok and a pedal lock which i reckon should deter most wannabe thefts.

As i have been informed by many, always head in...Maybe i am a tad bit paranoid with 3 defence system. ;p

I'm planning of reaching Woodlands checkpoint by 6am to hopefully avoid the jam which should make it a more peaceful drive

merged here

SEARCH in future.  Much golden info rested in MCF

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Thanks, will do that in future :) 

You do know that if your car is under the common wanted list.. there is a higher chance of theft yea?

anyways... dont be overly paranoid over the car.. enjoy the drive... the stay.. the walkabouts

in KL.. do not park in underground carparks...  tip the security guards to jaga your car for peace of mind.. 

try not to drive around KL....  take cabs/uber much more convenient... 

• Praise 1

Yeah, peak hr traffic in KL Central is horrid..Have taken advise and def not leave any valuables in plain sight.

not just valuables... any bags should be kept out of sight. Pple may just smash n grab, hoping got valuables inside when inside actually has nothing of value. Althought the risk is probably higher in JB area than KL, iMO.

• Praise 2

You do know that if your car is under the common wanted list.. there is a higher chance of theft yea?

anyways... dont be overly paranoid over the car.. enjoy the drive... the stay.. the walkabouts

in KL.. do not park in underground carparks...  tip the security guards to jaga your car for peace of mind.. 

try not to drive around KL....  take cabs/uber much more convenient... 

Yup Honda, Toyota and Protons are in demand.

No one wants to steal Hyundais.

:D

Bringing up this from the dead regarding driving on Malaysia federal/trunk roads.

I remember reading that if you wish to overtake a slow moving truck, you signal right.

If the truck sees your intention and sees that oncoming lane is clear, the truck driver gives you a signal for you to go.

Question is, is that right signal or left signal?

I can't remember which is the safe signal for you to commence overtaking.

Please chime in if any of you know.

Bringing up this from the dead regarding driving on Malaysia federal/trunk roads.

I remember reading that if you wish to overtake a slow moving truck, you signal right.

If the truck sees your intention and sees that oncoming lane is clear, the truck driver gives you a signal for you to go.

Question is, is that right signal or left signal?

I can't remember which is the safe signal for you to commence overtaking.

Please chime in if any of you know.

the truck in front of you will signal left to indicate it's clear for you to overtake. He may also keep to the left side of the lane to give u more space or he may actually be preparing to turn left into a side road, so he may slow down

if the truck signals right, it's a indication it's not safe to overtake (from the right)

the way I think about it is, the vehicle in front indicates what he would do, and how I would react

but note it's not practiced all the time. Do still keep two eyes open and be ready to cancel the overtake manuvere

Edited by JohnSHL
  • Praise 2

Thanks for sharing.

I did have such encounters when I was on the trunk road back from Cherating at night some years back. All trucks I came across did the same thing. Just that I have already forgotten which is the correct signal giving the all-clear.

Not sure if this is still practiced today though.

the truck in front of you will signal left to indicate it's clear for you to overtake. He may also keep to the left side of the lane to give u more space or he may actually be preparing to turn left into a side road, so he may slow down

if the truck signals right, it's a indication it's not safe to overtake (from the right)

the way I think about it is, the vehicle in front indicates what he would do, and how I would react

but note it's not practiced all the time. Do still keep two eyes open and be ready to cancel the overtake manuvere

Thanks for sharing.

I did have such encounters when I was on the trunk road back from Cherating at night some years back. All trucks I came across did the same thing. Just that I have already forgotten which is the correct signal giving the all-clear.

Not sure if this is still practiced today though.

Always make sure the incoming no car distance is sufficient for you to overtake. Down shift your gear 1 or 2 if needed. Or just red line your engine, opportunity to burn off some carbon.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2