Subaru Outback ...any comments

Lycanthrope

Your experience makes me glad I didn't go for the front parking sensors, which really tempted me. No one mentioned anything about hidden switches I'd have to fiddle with, and that would have really pissed me off.

In my experience, MI takes a few days to respond to emails but when they do, they follow through.

Please let us know what sort of soundproofing you eventually do. I'm still on the fence about splurging on it. Travel safe!

Hi thanks. I am looking at soundproofing the entire cars. Still looking for installers as i wanted to use my own dynamat n 3m products for soundproofing. My colleague recommended the Noico products which are pretty reasonably priced in Amazon.

Seen silent v1 mats and might use them for the floorplan, trunk, fenders and arcs. 3M or Dynamat for doors, roof, firewall. additional acoustic forms as second layer for doors as well.

Still have to book appt to install my front n rear DVR @ MI as was told if install anything outside, void electrical warranty! Pretty absurb but no choice so i want to tell the technician how i want the stuff to be installed and pray hard its done properly.

Will take a couple of months before i can finish up the ride as everything have to be done via MI

Will update the journey as i go .

Also praying hard that MI will respond next week when i m overseas

Have a good weekend :)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Hi thanks. I am looking at soundproofing the entire cars. Still looking for installers as i wanted to use my own dynamat n 3m products for soundproofing. My colleague recommended the Noico products which are pretty reasonably priced in Amazon.

Seen silent v1 mats and might use them for the floorplan, trunk, fenders and arcs. 3M or Dynamat for doors, roof, firewall. additional acoustic forms as second layer for doors as well.

Still have to book appt to install my front n rear DVR @ MI as was told if install anything outside, void electrical warranty! Pretty absurb but no choice so i want to tell the technician how i want the stuff to be installed and pray hard its done properly.

Will take a couple of months before i can finish up the ride as everything have to be done via MI

Just for info..MI & TC gets the Blackvue dash cams; front sensors and TPMS from the same company.

I installed the front sensors for my wife's QQ. There's a nicely done switch. You put into "on" and then leave it. When you start the car it goes live and when engine is off... It goes off..

Think the switch is to allow you to switch the sensors off esp during jams.. Less you will have beep beep beep beep everytime a motorbike passes in front of car..

Warranty will be OK if DVR connect to ciggerate lighter power supply.

I install in outside workshop.

Warranty will be OK if DVR connect to ciggerate lighter power supply.

I install in outside workshop.

I bought the batery pack which regulates n cut off the power supply to the DVR when the batt is low. Wanted to have the DVR on 24x7 so needed to batt pack and wiring to the car.

Didnt do the blackview as i prefer to buy my own DVRs. Now will see what MI can do

Yup, plenty of attractive deals on Amazon for Outbacks and Legacies, many with no equivalent on TB.

FYI, got front and rear iRoad V9 cams (from my old car) installed by MI during my 1k servicing and so far, so good, decent job. $150 labour but if there's any warranty coverage I'd like to maintain, it's electrical stuff and electronics.

Have a good one, all of you.

That explains it. I've driven many generations of the 7-series over the years (none of them mine) so I know exactly what you mean. No wonder you're spoilt when it comes to sound insulation. You know what I miss most about those cars? The ride quality that - coupled with the quiet cabin - dangerously disguised the speed you were travelling at.

Anyway, MI Toa Payoh quoted me $1,150 today to insulate 4 doors and the roof of my Legacy from sound and heat. FYI, in case you're interested. I didn't do it (had sticker shock) though I was sorely tempted.

You might also be interested in the Clasani sound dampening undercarriage coating MI offers.

Some Subaru went Foon Audio and Trust Motion to do soundproofing from doors and wheel arcs only to including floor. Both uses STP soundproof materials. Can check these 2 shops out

Some Subaru went Foon Audio and Trust Motion to do soundproofing from doors and wheel arcs only to including floor. Both uses STP soundproof materials. Can check these 2 shops out

Hi,

Anyone had any experience with NOICO soundproof products? Its manufactured by StP n used widely in States for truncks n suv soundproofing.

Thanks

Yup, plenty of attractive deals on Amazon for Outbacks and Legacies, many with no equivalent on TB.

FYI, got front and rear iRoad V9 cams (from my old car) installed by MI during my 1k servicing and so far, so good, decent job. $150 labour but if there's any warranty coverage I'd like to maintain, it's electrical stuff and electronics.

Have a good one, all of you.

My SE told me MI will not fit any 3rd party item when I asked if MI can help me tap the power source and lay the mini USB power cable (to protrude from the front of dashboard) for my Garmin GPS . Claims many previous experiences of owners complaining about problems with MI installation and MI could not determine if problem is with product or installation.

Good to know MI prepared to do so but price sounds expensive if that's the standard labour cost. Can live with some loose wires when using GPS....

My SE told me MI will not fit any 3rd party item when I asked if MI can help me tap the power source and lay the mini USB power cable (to protrude from the front of dashboard) for my Garmin GPS . Claims many previous experiences of owners complaining about problems with MI installation and MI could not determine if problem is with product or installation.

Good to know MI prepared to do so but price sounds expensive if that's the standard labour cost. Can live with some loose wires when using GPS....

Take whatever your SE (or any SE, really) says with a pinch of salt, if not a few big dashes of fish sauce. If you haven't bought your Subaru yet, you can email MI to inquire. If you've already bought, then ask SA, not SE. Even then, don't take an SA's word as holy truth either (that's an entire other discussion) but at least you'll get more useful info you can actually act on.

Yes, MI's charge for installing accessories you don't buy from them is expensive. That's why if you haven't already bought stuff, might make sense to buy from them. But if you already own stuff you don't want to waste or sell off at lelong price, and still want to keep MI electrical warranty, then bo pian pay MI's ransom lor. In your case, if it's a just a question of cabling neatness, maybe live with cable clips?

(edited)

My SE told me MI will not fit any 3rd party item when I asked if MI can help me tap the power source and lay the mini USB power cable (to protrude from the front of dashboard) for my Garmin GPS . Claims many previous experiences of owners complaining about problems with MI installation and MI could not determine if problem is with product or installation.

MI cannot say anything about electrical work connecting to the cigarette lighter. Will not void electrical warranty. 

Can get outside workshop to do install and hide cable nicely but connect to the lighter socket.  

But of course if panel removal is involved, MI will void warranty to help you rectify rattles at those panels for free. 

Alternatively, can DIY. Some cable routes just involve squeezing the wire into gaps at the rubber seals, plastic panels and carpets.  Not too difficult. 

See this video for some tips

Https://youtu.be/Bc7mdEYY0Jw

Edited by jg2000
  • Praise 1

MI warranty only last for 3 years. Engine 5 years. After 3rd year do whatever you want la...

Yup. But I'm waiting the full three years first.

Rented a 8 months old Ford Focus in Taiwan, mileage 85,780 km. The car is surprisingly nice to drive and, quiet ... Slightly quieter than the OB...

Read about this....

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2017-subaru-forester-wants-be-quietest-subie-ever

Hopefully they have solution to our OB.....

Regarding the link...Is this 2017 Forester what we call here the facelifted 2016 that appeared 1Q/2Q this year? Sounds the same...

Regarding the link...Is this 2017 Forester what we call here the facelifted 2016 that appeared 1Q/2Q this year? Sounds the same...

"Subaru has enhanced the Forester's interior, adding more weatherstripping and thicker glass to alleviate high levels of noise that plagued previous versions. More sound deadening and an acoustic windshield further attempt to quiet the cabin."

Looks like the noise is the common complain, and they are making the above changes. The SE from MI quoted the Clasanic Sound and heat insulation at $588, went to take a look and essentially, it is just a piece of plastic, even the SE didn't look convinced that it has any effect. Wonder any bro took the offer please?

My impression is that the car itself is not noisy.  I believe changing to quieter tyres will help on road noise.

But the noise coming from outside it quite "loud", like passing lorries, motorcycles, etc.  Probably soundproofing the doors may help, but I guess nothing can be done to the windows... [smallcry]

Turbocharged

My impression is that the car itself is not noisy.  I believe changing to quieter tyres will help on road noise.

But the noise coming from outside it quite "loud", like passing lorries, motorcycles, etc.  Probably soundproofing the doors may help, but I guess nothing can be done to the windows... [smallcry]

this can help...

(1) insulation at doors, bonnet

(2) sound dampener under caridge

(3) security film for windows

(4) change tyres

(5) if all fail use blue tooth sound cancellation ear phones [:p]  :a-m1212:

↡ Advertisement