Subaru Outback ...any comments

Lycanthrope

Cool, thanks for the breakdown.

Very curious which STP grade you used though. STP Dr. Artex Lite is light but not supposed to be all that effective, relatively speaking. Whereas STP Dr. Artex Gold is supposed to be very effective, but is definitely heavy. And since you find the mats effective, I wonder what grade did the trick.

So you replaced everything except the HU then. That gave you more room to play around without being limited by the stock HK Green DSP amp.

Glad you're happy with it! On specs alone, it already sounds like a killer system.

So, what's next on your list for the car?

Dei..Budget submission time.. better check it with the CFO
↡ Advertisement

Dei..Budget submission time.. better check it with the CFO ðððð

With ICE, budgets tend to magically inflate... and keep inflating. Get CFO to sign off on blank cheque is best

Cool, thanks for the breakdown.

Very curious which STP grade you used though. STP Dr. Artex Lite is light but not supposed to be all that effective, relatively speaking. Whereas STP Dr. Artex Gold is supposed to be very effective, but is definitely heavy. And since you find the mats effective, I wonder what grade did the trick.

So you replaced everything except the HU then. That gave you more room to play around without being limited by the stock HK Green DSP amp.

Glad you're happy with it! On specs alone, it already sounds like a killer system.

So, what's next on your list for the car?

Im not sure what exact model it is, probably the lite. But its a pretty low cost upgrade that i feel its worth it. Better clarity for music and less noise from the roads.

HU is stock. I have this legacy Alpine controller which tunes my ICE, think its a bout 10 year old.

How to convince CFO:

1. Be honest, state price divide by 2

2. System is transferable, hence very good ROI. Some of my ICE from 2003(3 cars) until now...so means enjoy the music at low cost.

3. Play songs she like...once a while.

My CFO frowned when i got ICE, after install, she start buying CDs to listen...case closed..lol.

Im not sure what exact model it is, probably the lite. But its a pretty low cost upgrade that i feel its worth it. Better clarity for music and less noise from the roads.

HU is stock. I have this legacy Alpine controller which tunes my ICE, think its a bout 10 year old.

How to convince CFO:

1. Be honest, state price divide by 2

2. System is transferable, hence very good ROI. Some of my ICE from 2003(3 cars) until now...so means enjoy the music at low cost.

3. Play songs she like...once a while.

My CFO frowned when i got ICE, after install, she start buying CDs to listen...case closed..lol.

If you paid about $400 for the soundproofing 4 doors, then it's the Lite. What interests me is that you say it made an audible difference, and was worth the money. I'm sick of people telling me only the most expensive stuff is worth it, so it's refreshing to hear a customer review that doesn't say that.

Your CFO advice a bit off leh:

1. Doesn't sound very honest. ICE can transfer between 3 cars so should state price divided by 3.

2. Yes, long service life. Except my Eton and Infinity speakers are still stuck in my cupboard because I don't want to spend on new processor and amp. Old amp not worth reusing and I didn't have a processor.

3. This is the easiest bit

If you paid about $400 for the soundproofing 4 doors, then it's the Lite. What interests me is that you say it made an audible difference, and was worth the money. I'm sick of people telling me only the most expensive stuff is worth it, so it's refreshing to hear a customer review that doesn't say that.

Your CFO advice a bit off leh:

1. Doesn't sound very honest. ICE can transfer between 3 cars so should state price divided by 3.

2. Yes, long service life. Except my Eton and Infinity speakers are still stuck in my cupboard because I don't want to spend on new processor and amp. Old amp not worth reusing and I didn't have a processor.

3. This is the easiest bit

Yup, its around that price, but need 5 pieces. Our doors are large. Again, hearing is selective, i may say good but others may not say the same thing. But my brother did pick it out after i installed, his first question was, " bro, you sound proof the car arh? Good lei..."

On the CFO topic, oh yea...divide by 3, so im very honest...lol!

Those are pretty paper weights in your cupboard bro...honestly they will sound better than the stock.

Back to the car...not much else to really do up on the car besides aesthetics. Thought of putting an extra 12V socket in the boot though for convenience.

Someobody found a 2.0 dit engine on Tao Bao..

Neutral Newbie

Hi Bros/Sis,

New to Subaru here. Got my OB end of 2015, so its not the latest face lifted one.

What I love about it:

Space.

Road presence

Good FC for a AWD 10-11km/L

My nitpicks:

Soft metal, getting shark fins- so installed side body moldings

Good sound insulation- made it even better after installing sound mats to 4 doors.

Harmon Kardon? Basically cheap OEM paper cone speakers. so transferred my previous ICE over [:)]

A lot of plastic glare to the eye from the sun on the gear shift area- so covered with carbon fibre sticker.

I dearly miss memory seats!!!

Initially was going for FXT and the mind was so set for it.

OB was 3K more, more luxurious and looks grow on you. Although tax is higher, it will be offset by the FC. Hence.....OB. Hope to learn more from you guys.!

Oh wasn't aware the HK speakers are those cheap oem ones.

Will look out for it in test drive.

Thanks

Oh wasn't aware the HK speakers are those cheap oem ones.

Will look out for it in test drive.

Thanks

I guess you have more than one driver, so need the memory seats... my dad hardly drives my car but he is ok with my settings... so don't need to use yet even though I have memory seats... it's his car that doesn't have and I can't use his settings... hahaha...

I didn't change anything to the car, no mods on sound system or sound proofing. But it was surprising to know that the HK system is cheap OEM ones... no wonder I wasn't too impressed with the sound quality when I collected the car. But since I'm rarely back to SG to use it and my wife and dad seem okay with the current config... so I'm not bothering to spend more cash there... maybe when I've returned to SG for good and use the car more frequently I would probably consider making the investments ...

Foe eyesight feature, the mount on windscreen, does MI offer windscreen insurance and replacement?

So far most OB delivered in SG don't have eyesight feature. So don't know leh..

So far most ALL OB delivered in SG don't have eyesight feature. So don't know leh..

Bro, you beat me to it.. :a-m1212: but then MI has advised that they are thinking of bringing in the eyesight module..

Bro, you beat me to it.. :a-m1212: but then MI has advised that they are thinking of bringing in the eyesight module..

Too late for me. Lol

Otherwise it would have been a no brainer. Outback is really a very good car.

Just couldn't bring myself to buy a stripped down version Esp when The Eye sight systems is so highly rated overseas

• Praise 1

I just took delivery of an OB over a week ago. So far no eyesight for all Subaru cars in SG. Not only that, if you were to look at reviews of OB on YouTube, the OB in Singapore is missing quite a few of the features that are being shown. In the US, they have starlink for their HU which is not present in Singapore's OB. Starlink allows you to receive news and weather on the HU. So when watching YouTube reveiw, take it with a pinch of salt regarding some features. Otherwise most of the significant features from an OB is present in the OB sold in Singapore.

Eyesight is a good feature to have safety wise but I don't think it's a deal breaker cos it doesn't take away your on responsibility on the road. For example, I have driven cars without a reverse camera in almost 20 years. My new OB is the first car with a reverse camera. Do I depend on it when I park? Well not really cos I have lived without one all this while. It's a good to have to know how much further in I can reverse but otherwise I don't really use it.

• Praise 1

Anyone tried pairing their iphone to the HU in OB? I managed to pair my phone, play music, make calls and all but I can't seem to get it to read my smses. Whenever I try it, it says it needs to connect to my phone but it gets stuck on that page.

I just took delivery of an OB over a week ago. So far no eyesight for all Subaru cars in SG. Not only that, if you were to look at reviews of OB on YouTube, the OB in Singapore is missing quite a few of the features that are being shown. In the US, they have starlink for their HU which is not present in Singapore's OB. Starlink allows you to receive news and weather on the HU. So when watching YouTube reveiw, take it with a pinch of salt regarding some features. Otherwise most of the significant features from an OB is present in the OB sold in Singapore.

Eyesight is a good feature to have safety wise but I don't think it's a deal breaker cos it doesn't take away your on responsibility on the road. For example, I have driven cars without a reverse camera in almost 20 years. My new OB is the first car with a reverse camera. Do I depend on it when I park? Well not really cos I have lived without one all this while. It's a good to have to know how much further in I can reverse but otherwise I don't really use it.

so far is the Outback having good fuel consumption?

Friends told me to stay away from Subaru cars as its not fuel efficient.

Anything > 8km per litre is consider good fuel consumption for me. Thanks

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1