Subaru Outback ...any comments

Lycanthrope

so far is the Outback having good fuel consumption?

Friends told me to stay away from Subaru cars as its not fuel efficient.

Anything > 8km per litre is consider good fuel consumption for me. Thanks

I am still on my first tank of 60L and based on the gauge, I should be able to hit 600km. This is a mix of highway and city driving. However realistically, i think it can hit 550km depending on the type of traffic I drive in. So I would say for my first tank, it's around 9-10km/L. Hopefully it gets better after the first 1 or 2 servicing.

Just for info, this is comparable to my previous 1.4L turbo charged VW Touran which also has a 60L tank. So for a 2.5L, I am quite satisfied with the Outback.

↡ Advertisement

I am still on my first tank of 60L and based on the gauge, I should be able to hit 600km. This is a mix of highway and city driving. However realistically, i think it can hit 550km depending on the type of traffic I drive in. So I would say for my first tank, it's around 9-10km/L. Hopefully it gets better after the first 1 or 2 servicing.

Just for info, this is comparable to my previous 1.4L turbo charged VW Touran which also has a 60L tank. So for a 2.5L, I am quite satisfied with the Outback.

Thanks. For 2.5L car, 9 -10 km/L is very good already.

Normally when other people achieve 9-10km/L,

I can only achieve 7 to 8 km/L due to my elephant leg. 

Ok I will go test drive then. Thanks

Too late for me. Lol

Otherwise it would have been a no brainer. Outback is really a very good car.

Just couldn't bring myself to buy a stripped down version Esp when The Eye sight systems is so highly rated overseas

Hi Little prince, I know you are experience and test drive lot of cars from your multiple car reviews.

For family with focus on comfort and quiet, what do you think of the below car?

I also have elderly in family.

Camry

Teana

Outback

X trail

Thanks. For 2.5L car, 9 -10 km/L is very good already.

Normally when other people achieve 9-10km/L,

I can only achieve 7 to 8 km/L due to my elephant leg. 

Ok I will go test drive then. Thanks

Hi Little prince, I know you are experience and test drive lot of cars from your multiple car reviews.

For family with focus on comfort and quiet, what do you think of the below car?

I also have elderly in family.

Camry

Teana

Outback

X trail

different categories of cars. a bit hard to compare.

teana over camry imho.  it's cheaper and feels more luxurious. comfort wise it's definitely better than camry i think. value for money wise i will take Teana

between outback and x-trail. eventually i chose the xtrail. but depends on what you need

1. comfort wise x-trail much better. sit in both and you will understand

2. gadget wise. Xtrail. 360 deg cam. panoramic sunroof. 7 seats. very useful. outback doesn't even come with build in gps.

3. space. outback FTW. no fight at all. rear room is excellent. the boot is huge. rear seats fold down with a pull of the lever. 

4. power wise. X-trail is a pussy on the road. outback definitely better. but not exactly apple to apple since outback is 2.5L. 

5. Outback quite rare on the road. relatively x-trail more common. good and bad. easier to buy accessories etc for xtrail. kinda like buying hp cover for iphone vs buying for some ulu ZTP brand or something. 

anyway both are great cars. won't go wrong either way.

• Praise 1

Am on 13k km mark so far, my best is at 11.6km/l and worse at 10.3km/l. Consuming less than my previous sub 2L sedan. 

I mainly on SPC RON 95.

• Praise 1

Anyone tried pairing their iphone to the HU in OB? I managed to pair my phone, play music, make calls and all but I can't seem to get it to read my smses. Whenever I try it, it says it needs to connect to my phone but it gets stuck on that page.

Go to Settings, Bluetooth, tap the "I" icon next to "Car Multimedia", and make sure "Show Notifications" is on.

different categories of cars. a bit hard to compare.

teana over camry imho.  it's cheaper and feels more luxurious. comfort wise it's definitely better than camry i think. value for money wise i will take Teana

between outback and x-trail. eventually i chose the xtrail. but depends on what you need

1. comfort wise x-trail much better. sit in both and you will understand

2. gadget wise. Xtrail. 360 deg cam. panoramic sunroof. 7 seats. very useful. outback doesn't even come with build in gps.

3. space. outback FTW. no fight at all. rear room is excellent. the boot is huge. rear seats fold down with a pull of the lever. 

4. power wise. X-trail is a pussy on the road. outback definitely better. but not exactly apple to apple since outback is 2.5L. 

5. Outback quite rare on the road. relatively x-trail more common. good and bad. easier to buy accessories etc for xtrail. kinda like buying hp cover for iphone vs buying for some ulu ZTP brand or something. 

anyway both are great cars. won't go wrong either way.

Locally, Outback does come with build in GPS into the HU and it's by Garmin. it's good for day to day driving but for the most updated route, I will turn to Google map on my phone. 

subaru cars fc really bad... stay away. my last tank was 7.8km/L, previous was 8.3, 8.5, 8.7. average 8.3

every month you spend $150-$200 more thinking why are you spending more on petrol... but... but feel damn shiok driving the car.. strange

• Praise 2

Locally, Outback does come with build in GPS into the HU and it's by Garmin. it's good for day to day driving but for the most updated route, I will turn to Google map on my phone. 

now got ah?

the last time i test drove didn't have. lol

your friends were right. The older subies, FC is not as efficient as the BNB coz MI at that time brought in the "performance" subies. The only normal subie comparable to the BNBs was the 1.6 imprezza. and even then the FC comparable la.

Now MI brings in the XV, FNA, FXT, OB and legacy but no more the GTs.. this generation of subies, FC I find pretty good. I drive an OB 2.5,  avg FC I get from system and PSLE calculation.. 8.8l/100km.. you do the conversion. this is after putting on some weight on the 4 doors and undercarriage. [drivingcar]  :a-m1212:

On the other hand, if one is into performance car then if one talks about FC then ...podah la ...!! :a-no:

Go to Settings, Bluetooth, tap the "I" icon next to "Car Multimedia", and make sure "Show Notifications" is on.

Why would you want to enable this? Reading messages on your HU is damn dangerous :a-noway: .. esp with wifey sitting next to you :a-rip:  [:p]

Edited by BenTong
  • Praise 2

your friends were right. The older subies, FC is not as efficient as the BNB coz MI at that time brought in the "performance" subies. The only normal subie comparable to the BNBs was the 1.6 imprezza. and even then the FC comparable la.

Now MI brings in the XV, FNA, FXT, OB and legacy but no more the GTs.. this generation of subies, FC I find pretty good. I drive an OB 2.5, avg FC I get from system and PSLE calculation.. 8.8l/100km.. you do the conversion. this is after putting on some weight on the 4 doors and undercarriage. [drivingcar]:a-m1212:

On the other hand, if one is into performance car then if one talks about FC then ...podah la ...!! :a-no:

Why would you want to enable this? Reading messages on your HU is damn dangerous :a-noway: .. esp with wifey sitting next to you :a-rip:[:p]

Read at traffic light stops can? Haha. If the function is there I wanna be able to make use of it.

Why would you want to enable this? Reading messages on your HU is damn dangerous :a-noway: .. esp with wifey sitting next to you :a-rip:[:p]

Ah, but the point is you don't have to read the message text. The HU reads it aloud to you, for safety

Edited by Muser

Ah, but the point is you don't have to read the message text. The HU reads it aloud to you, for safety ð And you can then use voice commands to reply or ignore. Plus, I got nothing to hide, lol ð¼

That's what a good Friend said to me too.. then skali got msg from a Girl.. hohohoho

That's what a good Friend said to me too.. then skali got msg from a Girl.. hohohoho

I'd be more worried about a mechanic messaging us: "Boss, your new turbocharged engine is ready to be installed, I give you special member-price of $28,888 only, confirm your CO won't ngiao you one with such lucky numbers."

So far, my ride coming to 18K. FC is good for a SUV like this average 10-11km/l. The best mileage i had for one tank was 570Km and worst at 470km before petrol light.

• Praise 1

I'd be more worried about a mechanic messaging us: "Boss, your new turbocharged engine is ready to be installed, I give you special member-price of $28,888 only, confirm your CO won't ngiao you one with such lucky numbers."

hahahahaha... maybe I shud transfer the Rex engine into the OB..

hahahahaha... maybe I shud transfer the Rex engine into the OB..

OB in China comes with the 2.0T DIT option.

May be also available from Tao Bao in near future ...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1