'Foreign' doesn't always mean 'talent'

Latka

Totally agree with this guy.

Time to clean up and get rid of foreign trash.

ST Forum

Mar 1, 2011

HIRING SINGAPOREANS FIRST

'Foreign' doesn't always mean 'talent'

WHILE I agree that Singapore needs foreigners to stay competitive, there are levels of foreign talent ('Levy hike 'not a push for locals''; last Thursday).

At a basic level, there is a need for work permit and S Pass holders in the service, construction and manufacturing industries, given the shrinking population and comparative lack of appeal for these sectors among most Singaporeans.

There should be some control to mitigate the negative effects of attracting foreigners at this level, like falling productivity; and this year's Budget has started to address this issue with the revised levy. However, when it comes to foreign talent on employment passes, are we certain that Singaporeans who graduate from one of the best education systems anywhere are unable to fill such vacancies?

As much as we need multinational companies (MNCs) to invest and create jobs here, there must be a delicate balance to reap the optimum benefits of combining local and foreign talent.

To achieve optimum balance, the Government should have a process of checks to manage the quantity and quality of white-collar foreign talent. I have been working in MNCs for more than 26 years and my experience informs me that it is not always the case that the foreign help is cleverer or more productive than his Singaporean equivalent.

In fact, there are many Singaporeans who are better and cheaper.

In fairness, I have also worked with talented and experienced foreign managers from whom I have learnt much.

However, it is troubling when the term 'foreign' becomes synonymous with 'talent', though that is not always so.

James Ang

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

i tink this guy is still in denial mode, din our great MM already said that singapore citizens save for the few elite genes, are all descendants of coolie immigrants? while those wo stayed behind in china beloong to the intellectual family lines except of cos MM's family which is why by meritocracy many of his family emembers hold important positions in this country. This is very clear and yet coolie immigrant descendants still cannot comprehend?

• Praise 1

In fact, there are many Singaporeans who are better and cheaper.

James Ang

better, generally i can accept that, but cheaper???? ARE YOU SURE???? I have been offering slightly above market price on fresh graduate (local), and below average pay on non-malaysian PR for engineer post. Make a guess who rejected the offer immediately?????

The old man's vision are the killing all Singaporean..... guess he should be dealt with a unforgettable memory before he passed on.... hope this GE will give him one and he can have excuse to leave and let lives....

I Know a James Ang that fit his profile....if its the James I know....I know he certainly know what's he is talking about :D

My hiring experience is, now most foreigners are asking for higher pay compared to Singaporeans for bread and butter jobs.

Do you consider engineer post as bread and butter job?

if you are talking about hands on type of jobs (product line for example, another not so nice term is "blue collar") I do agree that nowadays foreigner are generally wanted a better pay due to the fact that we have been coming from a "lowest tenderer gets the job" mentality. I must agreed that the pays had been pushed far too low in the past 5 to 8 years due to the economy down turn, however, the strong rebound on economy has provide a good environment for company in these recent years, while salary is generally still low which cant really cope up with the steep inflation trend. These foreigners are here to seek monetary support on them and THEIR FAMILY oversea, asking higher pay is understandable as local expenses has been headed north constantly. For the few local who go for this kind of job, they are only the tiny fraction that really having unforgiving life, thus grab any job available for whatever pay. (anyway, I do not press ppl on pay thingy)

This is my hiring experience for the passed 5 years, BTW, i am from construction field. your field of work might be differ from mine.

Do you consider engineer post as bread and butter job?

if you are talking about hands on type of jobs (product line for example, another not so nice term is "blue collar") I do agree that nowadays foreigner are generally wanted a better pay due to the fact that we have been coming from a "lowest tenderer gets the job" mentality. I must agreed that the pays had been pushed far too low in the past 5 to 8 years due to the economy down turn, however, the strong rebound on economy has provide a good environment for company in these recent years, while salary is generally still low which cant really cope up with the steep inflation trend. These foreigners are here to seek monetary support on them and THEIR FAMILY oversea, asking higher pay is understandable as local expenses has been headed north constantly. For the few local who go for this kind of job, they are only the tiny fraction that really having unforgiving life, thus grab any job available for whatever pay. (anyway, I do not press ppl on pay thingy)

This is my hiring experience for the passed 5 years, BTW, i am from construction field. your field of work might be differ from mine.

Cheaper Better Faster

Turbocharged

You think FTs are cheap? They also know the saying 'When in Rome, behave as the Romans do'...I know a few Pinoys with beri high pays..

No amt of talent will stop a economy from going down if it is not run properly. I know many United States brilliant scientists and engineers who go out of job despite having 'talent'.

Good governance is still the basic drawpoint. No use attracting a bunch of mercernaries and monkeys over.

Moving forward the gahmen should try to engage FTs with good global network connections and high level of research expertise. No point letting in mediocre talent who come in and set up mama shop, chicken rice stall, and try to duplicate whatever the locals here can do already.

Of course having a mixed pool of talent is still a plus point, better than nothing. Makes us a cosmopolitan society which in turn will draw better FTs to join and become part of us. [cool]

You think FTs are cheap? They also know the saying 'When in Rome, behave as the Romans do'...I know a few Pinoys with beri high pays..

No amt of talent will stop a economy from going down if it is not run properly. I know many United States brilliant scientists and engineers who go out of job despite having 'talent'.

Good governance is still the basic drawpoint. No use attracting a bunch of mercernaries and monkeys over.

Moving forward the gahmen should try to engage FTs with good global network connections and high level of research expertise. No point letting in mediocre talent who come in and set up mama shop, chicken rice stall, and try to duplicate whatever the locals here can do already.

Of course having a mixed pool of talent is still a plus point, better than nothing. Makes us a cosmopolitan society which in turn will draw better FTs to join and become part of us. [cool]

Do you foreigners with families complaining about high cost of living in Singapore. Who are the ones whine about cost of living in Singapore?

i tink this guy is still in denial mode, din our great MM already said that singapore citizens save for the few elite genes, are all descendants of coolie immigrants? while those wo stayed behind in china beloong to the intellectual family lines except of cos MM's family which is why by meritocracy many of his family emembers hold important positions in this country. This is very clear and yet coolie immigrant descendants still cannot comprehend?

I think these are points that even the opposition parties comprehend but it's just that they can't just voice as in the forum here, otherwise they wl be sued and be bankrupted.

By now, everyone knows that the way things are done here is just for show.

Take for e.g Chip Goodyear. There are essentially 2 rumours going around.

1, he isn't qualified, and I mean no educational qualifications to his purported line of work. All his resume is a scam. To admit this, it means the gahmen didn't do a background check on him and they wud be the laughing stock in the world let alone the region.

2, gahmen set him up for failure right fm the start. Before he even accepted the job offer, they shud have already told him wat is expected of him and the way things are done here. Come here already and then announce to the world that they have difference of opinion on how things are done. Then conveniently hand back the reigns to junior's wife.

We are forced spectators to all these.

Do you foreigners with families complaining about high cost of living in Singapore. Who are the ones whine about cost of living in Singapore?

Some FT was LL tied with family but many dont have families here so they dont feel the impact yet.....

Brush up your English a bit bf you post la.I don't even understand you.

(edited)

GE coming.....i really hope they will stop bringing in the FTs into Singapore soon...if not people like me ( the next generation adult of Singapore) will have to snatch jobs with those FTs next time........for even normal jobs in the office..... [bigcry] if that happen....the next generation of Singaporean adult will suffer from not enough money and thus not able to contribute to Singapore birthrate which will result in lesser Singapore born citizen to FTs and maybe Singapore will be overthrown by FTs.....

Anyone agree.......??

Edited by I-LOVE-CARS

Supersonic

Agree...

Some FT earn more than i do

[bigcry][bigcry]

In terms of offering basic pay, some FT really can earn higher than s'porean, esp if you offer S-pass or EP pass to FT. As the rules state the min salary for S-pass holder is $1800 and EP holder $2500!

And i still know some company may still offer $1500 or below to s'porean! Even they have the skills & paper as the FT. [rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement