Used car dealers tampering odometer readings

Grix17

I have just seen cases of used car dealers adjusting the mileage of the cars advertised on SGCarMart.

Is this against the law?

My recent ex-ride is one such case.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

I have just seen cases of used car dealers adjusting the mileage of the cars advertised on SGCarMart.

Is this against the law?

My recent ex-ride is one such case.

From my understanding, this is not against the law per-se,

You have to take a case in court against them for cheating you.

Just another example of how the law in Singapore is weighted against the consumer, in any other country tampering with the mileage would be a police case - just report to police only and they will do the rest.

Turbocharged

Most of the time it is very difficult to prove who was the person who did it.

Trace the former owner to testify?

Turbocharged

Trace the former owner to testify?

Even if you can trace the owner and he is willing to testify (Why shoud he? He just sold the car, none of his business anymore). It does not provide any proof that the meter has been adjusted by the dealer or even that it has been adjusted at all.

(edited)

if very free next time b4 hand over car to suspect dealer, take photos of the mileage of the car... then when car is put on sale, ask a frenz to view car and take same photo ... if mileage is tampered, report to authority :D

if more hiong, threaten the dealer to pay u some kopi $ if not will report to authority hehe

Edited by Kerwen

if very free next time b4 hand over car to suspect dealer, take photos of the mileage of the car... then when car is put on sale, ask a frenz to view car and take same photo ... if mileage is tampered, report to authority :D

if more hiong, threaten the dealer to pay u some kopi $ if not will report to authority hehe

that is blackmail - a crime in itself.

it is hard to prove who tampered with the odometer and as such is difficult to take the offender to task. unless you catch someone red-handed. best to check with AD or workshops that the car has gone to before (if possible) on the last odometer reading. ADs and larger workshops tend to keep a record of the odometer reading to cover their own ass.

• Praise 1

that is blackmail - a crime in itself.

it is hard to prove who tampered with the odometer and as such is difficult to take the offender to task. unless you catch someone red-handed. best to check with AD or workshops that the car has gone to before (if possible) on the last odometer reading. ADs and larger workshops tend to keep a record of the odometer reading to cover their own ass.

the blackmail part pls dont do it, mean to be a joke [laugh]

if you take a photo with timestamp of the odo maybe 100k mileage before selling and if the dealer changed to nice number like 60k, i think its pretty straight forward .. odo can only go up not down ... unless you mean futile in reporting to authority as nothing much they will do anything abt it then it's LLST

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Report for what? IT'S NOT A CRIME.

The "crime" (such as it can be called a crime in a civil matter) is in cheating the buyer by false mileage.

This is well established.

moral of the story....try ur best to buy a used car from a direct owner full stop

don't be surprised if the Owner already brought to his WS to tweek the ODO.

heard cases of Owner bringing the car to tweek to get abetter re-sale from the dealer.. the dealer thinking it was the original ODO, tweek it down even further.. -_-:o

don't be surprised if the Owner already brought to his WS to tweek the ODO.

heard cases of Owner bringing the car to tweek to get abetter re-sale from the dealer.. the dealer thinking it was the original ODO, tweek it down even further.. -_-:o

Wah like that also can!!!

(edited)

Even if you can trace the owner and he is willing to testify (Why shoud he? He just sold the car, none of his business anymore). It does not provide any proof that the meter has been adjusted by the dealer or even that it has been adjusted at all.

I have some documentary proof as I record every fueling for my ex-ride. That's all I have.

My last fueling puts the mileage at > 62k.

Can also check with my workshop the record for 60k servicing.

This is the link to the advertisement:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=158040&DL=1168

The mileage does matter because it's a hybrid and hybrid batteries have a limited lifespan.

Edited by Grix17

Turbocharged

I have some documentary proof as I record every fueling for my ex-ride. That's all I have.

My last fueling puts the mileage at > 62k.

Can also check with my workshop the record for 60k servicing.

This is the link to the advertisement:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=158040&DL=1168

The mileage does matter because it's a hybrid and hybrid batteries have a limited lifespan.

Holy crap...wind back by 30k?

Would be interesting to make police report just to see what they will do.

Of course, would get documentary proof that the speedo changed first so he can't claim it is just a mistype on the ad.....

Happened to My previous ride too.

Sold it to AD of a conti brand and they have the record of the mileage when traded in.

But saw the car in sgcarmart and it showing abt half (which is 60k diff) of what when traded in.

Karma to the dealer as it's still there after 4 mths.

• Praise 1

Happened to My previous ride too.

Sold it to AD of a conti brand and they have the record of the mileage when traded in.

But saw the car in sgcarmart and it showing abt half (which is 60k diff) of what when traded in.

Karma to the dealer as it's still there after 4 mths.

Looks like it's a widespread practice.

I wonder if the Motor Traders' Association is monitoring the situation.

↡ Advertisement