Used car dealers tampering odometer readings

Grix17

No wonder we have such a low crime rate. SPF don't even bother to charge the fellow even though they managed to catch him.

playing wif the stats lo...haha

↡ Advertisement

No wonder we have such a low crime rate. SPF don't even bother to charge the fellow even though they managed to catch him.

Actually they forwarded the case to commercial crimes side (CAD) as it was classified as CBT/misappropriation but as the amount was small i guess it was more efficient to close up the case asap by giving him a chance to make restitution and spend their effort and time on bigger cases. The guy is not a criminal per se. He just mismanaged his finances and heavily in debt. Following his departure, we received several calls from finance institutions looking for him as he had defaulted on various loans/credit cards, etc. In fact he didn't cheat the company directly, more like he cheated his colleague but as it was over a work related matter, I compensated the cheated colleague and then reported him. 

That is why:

Low Crime Doesn't Mean No Crime

Low crime is for their KPI reporting only.

That is why:

Low Crime Doesn't Mean No Crime

Low crime is for their KPI reporting only.

KPI...tis term applies to SPF also..haiz...hope they maintain their uprightness....

• Praise 1

Supersonic

LTA definitely can do something to close this loophole but they chose to close one eye.

They oredi hands & legs full thinking of ways to tax more $$ out of us. Where got time to help us?
  • Praise 2

They oredi hands & legs full thinking of ways to tax more $$ out of us. Where got time to help us?

Ya lor, because they can't get earn from this.

Peasants kenna con or die it's ok.

They can only help us empty our pockets.

To drive or not to drive is an individual decision. They cannot empty your pockets if you choose not to drive. You have a choice
  • Praise 3
  • Dislike 1

Wow a lesser mileage car definitely a big difference in price.

Last month was looking at this 8 month old car with 24K+ mileage at S$79,000

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=632009&DL=2908

Now a similar model with same colour. registration date and much lower mileage is advertising 10K higher.

Low mileage = more $$$ [:p]

can trust the speedo reading bo????

If we buy a 2nd hand car, how to check the car does not had any accident? Some kind of STA Evaluation Report & could this be bear by the used car dealer?

• Praise 1

If we buy a 2nd hand car, how to check the car does not had any accident? Some kind of STA Evaluation Report & could this be bear by the used car dealer?

shld ask them go get from LTA, show u the report n records....

Supersonic

To drive or not to drive is an individual decision. They cannot empty your pockets if you choose not to drive. You have a choice

Does this apply for GST too?

If I don't buy anything or spend on anything, they cannot tax me too right?  :D

i'm selling my sep 2008 teana 2.5L... with full servicing receipts (genuine mileage).. anyone keen, pls pm me.. tks

Actually I'm surprised at the case, because it says Tan Chong revealed the last mileage.

I tried to call Borneo to ask about a used Vios that i considered buying to renew COE. BM refused to divulge any details about the car, except the last servicing date.

They cited PDPA, and said cannot divulge customer's data...

Not sure whether after buying an AD car, whether they will definitely reveal the servicing record.

i think you enquired before you buy, they enquired after they buy when they are the legal owner of the car so BM released the info to them.

I think that's the difference

• Praise 1

Supercharged

hehe for discussion sake, i will throw in something contrarian.

i have attended a pdpa course before.  if i interpret correctly what i was taught, personal data is only applicable when the person is identified with the data and not when a car's data is leaked.  for a data to be identified with a person, elements of person's name or his nric is required to be cited together.  to summarise, it means borneo motors would technically not be contravening the PDPA if they reveal the car was sent to servicing on what day which mileage without revealing the owner's name and nric number.  trans eurokars actually did reveal such information to the would be buyer of a saab even though he is not officially one.

but i do agree with you.  borneo probably play it safe with the pdpa hangng at the back of their mind.  they would probably feel more assured to release the data with the new owner of the car and know they are above board with regards to the administration of the pdpa rules.

i think you enquired before you buy, they enquired after they buy when they are the legal owner of the car so BM released the info to them.

• Praise 1

You might have a point there, i guess...

but hor, like this then it doesn't help in the decision making process when evaluating cars before buying, just maybe either reassure the buyer after buying, or make the buyer pek-chek (some might sue...) lor.

↡ Advertisement