Used car dealers tampering odometer readings

Grix17

Turbocharged

hi all bro, can i jus enquire as i jus bought a second car only 2 mths from a dealer, under in house loan. i tried asking for the date for installment to change to 12th mthly as i get my pay on that day instead of 10th which i need to pay, end up that dealer keep calling me asking for payment n said nasty things, if i were to return the car to them will i get back any amt of rebate as he said ask lawyer claim from him shd i do so..how abt my insurance, will i get back rebate too? many thks for advices

You know, without wanting to be nasty, I look at people like you and really have to wonder where you keep your brains.

1. suffer for one month to save up money early then will roll the same way?

2. how come never think of such a fundamental problem before sign?

3. think because the dealer say nasty things to you when you don't pay on time can return car and get money back.

:wacko::wacko:

Really words fail me.

They say a fool and his money are easily parted, and I guess that you are the living embodiment of the saying.

↡ Advertisement

You can contact the finance company to ask if adjustment is possible, try speaking with the manager if the front desk/call centre is not helpful (or plain lazy to do the paper works). Practically speaking 2 days means little to the fin coy except that they may have to re-issue the contract and loan repayment schedule. Reasonable admin fee may apply.

You know, without wanting to be nasty, I look at people like you and really have to wonder where you keep your brains.

3. think because the dealer say nasty things to you when you don't pay on time can return car and get money back.

Really words fail me.

They say a fool and his money are easily parted, and I guess that you are the living embodiment of the saying.

Muayhahahahahaha [laugh][laugh]

[thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Sold my Accord to an AD dealer with 48k mileage late last year. A few days later, comes out on SGcarmart with 30k less on the odo. Havent been to actually verify it, but it'll be really terrible if this practice is so prevalent in SG.

Heard from a dealer that continental cars' odometer cannot be adjusted, any experience to the contrary? [sweatdrop]

can be done even for mercedes. just much harder [:p]

Can be done by the right person. Else it wil short circuit the entire dash.

i dont know about other contis but it wont short circuit mercedes. just does some very bad stuff [:p]

A lot of idiots in SG. A cursory scan of many used cars, all low mileage. Its impossible!

This problem seem to be astronomical!

they have so many tricks and patterns. its really risky buying 2nd hand cars nowadays

Edited by Achtung

assumption by singaporeans that shun high mileage cars thus making dealers tweak mileage to adapt to them is

high mileage=higher wear and tear= time to replace many many parts le.= more expensive in the long run

Been hunting around for a 2nd hand car for the past few months, focusing on a specific model of Honda MPV.

Just wanted to share with all that lately I've spotted an instance of dealer adjusting mileage. The advertisement for this ride advertised by this dealer was posted some time around February on SG Carmart, but the mileage wasn't stated. I went to see the car around early March as it was one ride on my shortlist. The mileage on the clock was above 125K Kms. Wasn't too satisfied on the overall condition so gave it a miss.

Just last week I was going through the ads for this specific model and saw that the same ad was updated with the price slightly reduced. Only this time, the term 'low mileage' was added to the description and now the mileage was also indicated. However the mileage indicated was 80+K Kms instead of the 125K which I saw when I viewed. So here we have another example of tempered mileage.

If anyone's looking for a Honda MPV and concerned about which listing this refers to, please PM me.

Thanks.

Been hunting around for a 2nd hand car for the past few months, focusing on a specific model of Honda MPV.

Just wanted to share with all that lately I've spotted an instance of dealer adjusting mileage. The advertisement for this ride advertised by this dealer was posted some time around February on SG Carmart, but the mileage wasn't stated. I went to see the car around early March as it was one ride on my shortlist. The mileage on the clock was above 125K Kms. Wasn't too satisfied on the overall condition so gave it a miss.

Just last week I was going through the ads for this specific model and saw that the same ad was updated with the price slightly reduced. Only this time, the term 'low mileage' was added to the description and now the mileage was also indicated. However the mileage indicated was 80+K Kms instead of the 125K which I saw when I viewed. So here we have another example of tempered mileage.

If anyone's looking for a Honda MPV and concerned about which listing this refers to, please PM me.

Thanks.

How bout checking the physical odometer now and see if they really adjust to 80k? If they didn't, u have evidence to sue them for misleading the general public.

Was looking for a used MPV and saw this 07 Zafira. Everything was ok but high mileage (36K/yr). Just saw the ad today and the mileage has 'mysteriously' dropped to 25K/yr!

So beware only 1 with chio black rims.

jus read on another forum that the used car dealers sales contract state they does not guarantee the odometer is correct...so much for consumer rights...tsk tsk

Really words fail me.

I came across this gem too late. Possible candidate for "Lame Brain of the Year Award 2011"

Neutral Newbie

Edit: btw, when I sold my car to a dealer, he recorded the mileage in the purchase agreement.

Is it possible to request to view that purchase agreement when one is buying the car from the dealer?

most buyers want to have cars with low mileage(do not know for what actually)..thats why the used car dealers just helping to fulfill that need to let buyers have "what they wanted"..and most buyers/sellers do not want to deal directly with one another..thats why such middlemen exists..pple do not want the hard truth..prefer to see and hear lies or rather what they like to hear and see! [cool]

↡ Advertisement