Used car dealers tampering odometer readings

Grix17

most buyers want to have cars with low mileage(do not know for what actually)..thats why the used car dealers just helping to fulfill that need to let buyers have "what they wanted"..and most buyers/sellers do not want to deal directly with one another..thats why such middlemen exists..pple do not want the hard truth..prefer to see and hear lies or rather what they like to hear and see! [cool]

low mileage=lower wear n tear

low mileage=lower maintenance

low mileage=mess problems.

↡ Advertisement

low mileage=lower wear n tear

low mileage=lower maintenance

low mileage=mess problems.

real mileage in my opinion is better than adjusted mileage..what if the actual mileage is 90k, but got adjusted to 30k and the servicing is neglected..even worse i feel

Edited by Darthrevan

Neutral Newbie

I personally dont think high mileage is a problem as long as you maintained it well enough. If u happen to sit in a 4-5 year old taxi just look at the odometer, 300k-500k mileage is a common sight and the taxi is working very well! even better than your 50k mileage car if u dont service it propely. My dads 1991 toyota corolla has a mileage of about 450k and has not break down even once since he own it when i was in primary school. If you happen to go china or taiwan, go visit a used car dealer You will see many cars with 100k to 200k mileage, very common. Cars are not made to last a few hundred thousand KM. If its really made to last so short then our goverment will put a lifespan on it just like our commercial vehicle that has a lifespan of 30 years in order to protect our life! I just wanna warn fellow forumers please dont be dumb and pay extra few thousand to dealers for a car that has "Low" mileage! Most likely adjusted by dealers...

must look at each car individually.

I have seen very nice high mileage cars (and bot one before)

I have also seen very thrashy low mileage cars (wont buy one)

So at the end of the day, make an informed balanced decision.

Neutral Newbie

i rather buy a $5k cheaper high mileage car than pay $5k more for a "low mileage" car.... if anything happen $5K enough to change a new engine liao.... buy a low mileage car like my friend in the end also pay $1k plus to change so many parts.... my vios is 130kkm no problem at all... my freinds kia rio 54k km radiator leaking, aircon not cold, engine very noisy....

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

This used to be my dad's Estima. In any case, DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. It had 64k km when we sold it, and now mysteriously it has got 29k km. We've always had it serviced at Richburg up until 60k km, so if you're keen you can check with Richburg regarding the car's records.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...691&DL=2077

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I really feel I should do something to warn anyone out there.

Edited by Homer_Bart

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

This used to be my dad's Estima. In any case, DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. It had 64k km when we sold it, and now mysteriously it has got 29k km. We've always had it serviced at Richburg up until 60k km, so if you're keen you can check with Richburg regarding the car's records.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...691&DL=2077

First - You register another nick just to Sabo the dealer

Second - Very fast the ad will change or not publishing the mileage

Third - Adjusting mileage is not new to this trade, majority of the used car mileage will be adjusted

Forth - Nowadays, people buy used car don't really look at the mileage, the lesser the mileage means the more the dealers adjust

my last 2 cents

Neutral Newbie

And in addition, my dad's not a civil servant either, he's a self employed. The dealer had tattoo all over his arm and neck and actually didn't know a thing about the car, should have known!

Neutral Newbie

Just done some research/CSI work.

For example, this Copen from the dealer is advertised as having 29k km:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...671&DL=2077

But using sgcarmart's search bug/flaw, you can see that this car was originially from Exotic Motor with between 50k to 70k km mileage. s--t.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/listing...en&RGD=2008

Use OBD or diagnostic scanner to tap into car's computer and voila, the truth is out! *as told by a friendly car dealer*

Neutral Newbie

I bought a Presage in feb this year with the clock at 109k. I so happened to put the car into the same garage this week which the previous Owner had used. I was informed that in June last year the clock was recored as 126k so more than 17k had been altered. My garage say they got the car from another dealer and were surprised as I was. They want to meet today to discuss. I already have a letter fro CASE which to hand to them telling them they're liable for misrepresentation and the LTA have advised to call the police. As there's a 8 month prior gap to me taking delivery I can only imagine the car has done more miles. Nowyour advice please what shall i tell the dealer?

1 - my thinking is you sold the car incorrectly therefore i want a full refund, take car back and police won't be called.

2 - full refund and police called

3 - demand a huge reduction is price back.

My car is 5 years old so plan was to scrap it after 5 years so will it make a difference knwoing the clock has been altered.

As my dealer will be arriving in a few hours your advice would be most gratefully received.

I bought a Presage in feb this year with the clock at 109k. I so happened to put the car into the same garage this week which the previous Owner had used. I was informed that in June last year the clock was recored as 126k so more than 17k had been altered. My garage say they got the car from another dealer and were surprised as I was. They want to meet today to discuss. I already have a letter fro CASE which to hand to them telling them they're liable for misrepresentation and the LTA have advised to call the police. As there's a 8 month prior gap to me taking delivery I can only imagine the car has done more miles. Nowyour advice please what shall i tell the dealer?

1 - my thinking is you sold the car incorrectly therefore i want a full refund, take car back and police won't be called.

My car is 5 years old so plan was to scrap it after 5 years so will it make a difference knwoing the clock has been altered.

As my dealer will be arriving in a few hours your advice would be most gratefully received.

option 3 for me. else i call police and you end your business.

Your workshop willing to testify against the dealer in court??? Do they have physical proof that the mileage was 126k the last time it was serviced by them???

Call police??? This is a civil suit.

Neutral Newbie

Your workshop willing to testify against the dealer in court??? Do they have physical proof that the mileage was 126k the last time it was serviced by them???

Call police??? This is a civil suit.

I tried making a police report cos my car mileage was tempered, with proof, the police say is civil suit. Do not want to take the compliant. And told me that the previous owner may have change the odometer. WTF. I bought my car from direct owner from sgcarmart. The owner damn good at acting blurrrrrr. :o[furious]

↡ Advertisement