Citroen C5 vs Peugeot 508

Fishman

I feel that the C5 has body lines like the 3 series which makes the car looks great. However, the interior of the 508 looks better especially with multiple media and gps. Looks like a tough decision btwn the 2. Also heard the basic C5 suspension which is double wishbone already is better than the 508.

↡ Advertisement

Both these cars will be powered by BMW engines sourced thru Mini Copper so reliabilty is not an issue... Seriously dun undertsand in this mkt n time still have ppl believe Japs offer better reliabily tsk tsk...

These are mentality pass down from one generation to another, its hard to change them. Even if the car is good but comes from a lousy brand, the fellow who has a mentality that its a lousy car base on the brand will test the car with a grade F before he even started.

I feel that the C5 has body lines like the 3 series which makes the car looks great. However, the interior of the 508 looks better especially with multiple media and gps. Looks like a tough decision btwn the 2. Also heard the basic C5 suspension which is double wishbone already is better than the 508.

Totally agree with you... Sigh.... Its still not within the budget for me... Maybe in a few years time, think I have to wait for C???

bro in the other 508 thread it is indicated that base model will not have that pretty screen, got pic somemore :). for the base model i read on some webby that both c5 and 508 share the same macpherson strut front and multilink rear. for better models, c5 gets the hyperactive III while i think 508 GT spec gets dbl wishbone front multilink rear

(edited)

bro in the other 508 thread it is indicated that base model will not have that pretty screen, got pic somemore :). for the base model i read on some webby that both c5 and 508 share the same macpherson strut front and multilink rear. for better models, c5 gets the hyperactive III while i think 508 GT spec gets dbl wishbone front multilink rear

From what I read, the basic C5's suspension is already dbl wishbone which is what 508GT is going to use. The hydractive III suspension 'could' be used in the 508 top of the range which is still undecided.

Saw the pic of the 508 w/o the multi media screen, does not appeal anymore. Hope the "Allure" specs version does come with it.

Edited by Fat_slayer

A car's reliability is not just about the engine. Many parts make up the car. Anyway with proper servicing, most modern engines are made to last, except notorious ones like VW 1.8T, Toyota 2.4 etc.

What makes the ownership annoying is when small things fail, like power windows, sensors failure, transmission jerkiness, etc.

Yup. A car is meant to be driven. Not to be spent in the workshop, remedying all the problems.

Anyways, I'd take the C5 anytime, if given the choice. The looks itself, both exterior and interior is good enough to win me over the 508.

one advantage of hydractive suspension is the ability to raise the car to proceed through any flood :p

Still not as high as a SUV, but better than not being able to raise the suspension height during emergencies.

Test drove the C5 Exclusive with the fancy Hydractive III+ suspension today.

Over humps and uneven roads, the car seems to float over them with minimal rattles. The gear shifts are also decently quick, much, much better than the 4 speed auto in the previous generation. For a 1.6, torque is also ok given the 1.5 ton body. Equipment wise, the one that catched my attention is the ability to control the seat back rest that can somehow "wrap" around your shoulders [:)] Built-in rear passenger curtain (which you can pull up and hook on top) scores as well.

However, the very moment I started the engine, the vibration was immediately noticeable! I was taken aback, not expecting such a thing from a "luxury" class sedan! More surprises followed: the sensor that detects whether there is enough space for parallel parking didn't seem to work, despite trying it a few times. On the road, engine and road noise is also so-so, not really quiet. No reverse camera (though it has some kind of sensor), no built in navigation, tiny glove compartment compromised for better leg room for front passenger are just some of the smaller but still noticeable shortfalls.

Price is $145K yet waiting time is 4 months! SE keeps harping on its "good" price vs 3 series / c-class which I think is not a good comparison due to inferior built quality and finishes.

Overall, I'm not impressed. Now, I await the arrival of the 508... and hope it won't disappoint.

Test drove the C5 Exclusive with the fancy Hydractive III+ suspension today.

Over humps and uneven roads, the car seems to float over them with minimal rattles. The gear shifts are also decently quick, much, much better than the 4 speed auto in the previous generation. For a 1.6, torque is also ok given the 1.5 ton body. Equipment wise, the one that catched my attention is the ability to control the seat back rest that can somehow "wrap" around your shoulders [:)] Built-in rear passenger curtain (which you can pull up and hook on top) scores as well.

However, the very moment I started the engine, the vibration was immediately noticeable! I was taken aback, not expecting such a thing from a "luxury" class sedan! More surprises followed: the sensor that detects whether there is enough space for parallel parking didn't seem to work, despite trying it a few times. On the road, engine and road noise is also so-so, not really quiet. No reverse camera (though it has some kind of sensor), no built in navigation, tiny glove compartment compromised for better leg room for front passenger are just some of the smaller but still noticeable shortfalls.

Price is $145K yet waiting time is 4 months! SE keeps harping on its "good" price vs 3 series / c-class which I think is not a good comparison due to inferior built quality and finishes.

Overall, I'm not impressed. Now, I await the arrival of the 508... and hope it won't disappoint.

Sure, there're some effy French plastics in the cabin, but i think Citroen has nailed it for the interior ambience.

As for the ride, the normal steel springs are pretty decent stuff. I'd actually go for the steel ones compared to the Hydropneumatic ones. But it irks me that Citroen specs basic stuff on the Dynamique model unlike the Exclusive Model.

But overall though, the C5 isn't really a big car that competes straight with the Camry and Accord. It competes more with the compact executives, such as the Euro Accord, Mark X, Mazda 6 and Suzuki Kizashi.

Which also means it shouldn't be compared with the Kia K5, which many are.

Edited by Proton_neutron

If CAT A drops we can see alot of C5 and 508 on the road...

Dun understand this statement. You mean if Cat A drop will see a lot of C5 and 508 as compared to what? Golf/Jetta/Civic/Altis?

Dun understand this statement. You mean if Cat A drop will see a lot of C5 and 508 as compared to what? Golf/Jetta/Civic/Altis?

Of course! What was previously 2.0L cars are now 1.6L.

The base price of $120k actually undercuts most continental cars, especially when you're talking about a BMW co-developed turbo engine under the PSA group, which is also found in the Mini Cooper S!

Sure, there're some effy French plastics in the cabin, but i think Citroen has nailed it for the interior ambience.

As for the ride, the normal steel springs are pretty decent stuff. I'd actually go for the steel ones compared to the Hydropneumatic ones. But it irks me that Citroen specs basic stuff on the Dynamique model unlike the Exclusive Model.

But overall though, the C5 isn't really a big car that competes straight with the Camry and Accord. It competes more with the compact executives, such as the Euro Accord, Mark X, Mazda 6 and Suzuki Kizashi.

Which also means it shouldn't be compared with the Kia K5, which many are.

As wad Cit SE tell me, Singapore roads very good in general, dun need the hydramatic suspension. But i do feel that at the price they could have at least included the electric seats.

Wat u mean C5 is compact executive? It may be slightly shorter than K5, Camry and Accord but its wider than all three of them. Most importantly it has longer wheelbase then all of them as well, i.e. the longer length of the K5, Camry & accord is only due to longer front/rear overhangs. If u have seen the C5 in the flesh you would know it is anything but compact! Incidentally, it is bigger than the Subaru Legacy, VW passat and Audi A4 in all areas.

Of course! What was previously 2.0L cars are now 1.6L.

The base price of $120k actually undercuts most continental cars, especially when you're talking about a BMW co-developed turbo engine under the PSA group, which is also found in the Mini Cooper S!

So you're toking abt migration of Cat B buyers to Cat A. I already started a thread on this. But you should realise dat when these deeper pocketed Cat B buyers come in to the Cat A market, it will in fact drive Cat A COE up and price out the more "budget buyers" spelling the doom of ppl like Chery, Geely, Chana, Proton, perodua, etc who already barely see any sales. Even de smaller japs like subaru and suzuki might be affected. So de way i see it, Cat A COE is going up and up as more and more attartive Cat A cars come into the market.

As wad Cit SE tell me, Singapore roads very good in general, dun need the hydramatic suspension. But i do feel that at the price they could have at least included the electric seats.

Wat u mean C5 is compact executive? It may be slightly shorter than K5, Camry and Accord but its wider than all three of them. Most importantly it has longer wheelbase then all of them as well, i.e. the longer length of the K5, Camry & accord is only due to longer front/rear overhangs. If u have seen the C5 in the flesh you would know it is anything but compact! Incidentally, it is bigger than the Subaru Legacy, VW passat and Audi A4 in all areas.

proton has weird benchmarks for comparison. anyone who has seen the C5 will its freaking huge!

↡ Advertisement