Singapore GE: Opposition parties to contest all seats

Vulcann

(edited)

From Channel News Asia:

All 27 constituencies will be contested, meaning the ruling party will not be returning to power on nomination day?

We will have to wait & see....

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1114574/1/.html

Singapore GE: Opposition parties to contest all seats

By S Ramesh/Evelyn Choo | Posted: 05 March 2011 1847 hrs

post-5981-1299334578_thumb.jpg

SINGAPORE: Singapore's major opposition parties have come to an agreement to contest all 27 constituencies in the next General Election (GE), which is due before February 2012.

At Saturday's meeting, they also agreed to avoid three-cornered fights in Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs), meaning most of the GRCs are likely to see a straight fight.

However, in the case of the 12 Single-Member Constituencies (SMCs), the party leaders said discussions are ongoing.

If the opposition parties keep to their declaration, the next GE is likely to see a situation where the PAP will not be returned to power on Nomination Day.

Going into the details of where they stand to contest, Workers' Party (WP) chairman Sylvia Lim said her party will be in the Aljunied and East Coast GRCs.

She said the WP is also interested in the newly-carved out Moulmein-Kallang GRC as well as Nee Soon GRC.

As for the SMCs, she said her party is keen on five. These are Hougang, Joo Chiat, Punggol East, Sengkang West and Whampoa.

When asked if the WP will contest the Ang Mo Kio GRC, Ms Lim said the party will not be doing so as it has to balance its resources according to its strategy.

But Channel NewsAsia understands that other parties may decide to take on Ang Mo Kio GRC.

The Reform Party's Mr Kenneth Jeyaretnam said his party will be contesting in the West Coast and Chua Chu Kang GRCs and also the single seats of Radin Mas, Pioneer and Hong Kah North.

Meanwhile the Democratic Progressive Party's Seow Khee Leng said it will take on the Tanjong Pagar and Marine Parade GRCs.

The National Solidarity Party intends to contest Tampines and Jurong GRCs.

As for the Singapore Democratic Alliance (SDA), it plans to contest the Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC and also the single-MP seats of Punggol East and Radin Mas.

Sengkang West is also under consideration, it said.

Potong Pasir's MP, Mr Chiam See Tong, said he wants to contest Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC and his Singapore People's Party (SPP) also wants to run in Potong Pasir and Hong Kah North single-member constituencies.

The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) meanwhile said it would go for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC and the Bukit Panjang single-member ward.

Saturday's meeting was the opposition parties' second in a week and the last to decide on the seat allocation for the coming General Election. However some of the individual parties will continue to meet on a one-on-one basis to come to a bilateral agreement, especially for the single-member constituencies, to avoid three-cornered fights.

Independent candidate Andrew Kuan, who is eyeing the Joo Chiat seat, was also at Saturday's meeting. But he left the venue when organisers told him the discussion was not for independent candidates but opposition parties.

- CNA/ir

Edited by Vulcann
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Also from Channel News Asia:

And the top hocho has commented:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1114581/1/.html

GE: PM Lee says "good" if all seats contested in coming polls

By Saifulbahri Ismail | Posted: 05 March 2011 2001 hrs

post-5981-1299334877_thumb.jpg

SINGAPORE: Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has said that it will be good if all 27 electoral constituencies are contested in the next General Election (GE).

He also said that the People's Action Party (PAP) has a good team for the coming GE and they will be introduced in due course.

He was speaking to reporters during a visit to Aljunied-Hougang and Punggol South on Saturday.

The two areas were respectively part of Aljunied GRC and Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC. After the electoral boundaries were redrawn last week, parts of Aljunied-Hougang and Punggol South will be absorbed into Ang Mo Kio GRC, where Mr Lee is an MP.

"I'm here because I wanted to see them, to meet them personally, to see their faces and impression of how things were, and also to let the residents know that I'm one of the MPs, or will be one of the MPs after the elections. So, I think it's a good feeling," said Mr Lee.

Despite the changes, the Aljunied-Hougang ward seemed to take the news well.

"I have about seven RCs carved over into Ang Mo Kio GRC after the re-drawing of the boundaries. I've been going round. I think they (the residents) are not worried about all these changes because they know that they definitely will be in good hands," said Mr Yeo Guat Kwang, MP of the Aljunied-Hougang ward.

The Prime Minister said he hopes new candidates will contest this election.

"After that, through what they are able to show, once they are elected, I think Singaporeans would get to know their calibre and they will get to find their pace and work out their relationships with one another, what their strengths are, how they complement one another, what they are able to do," said Mr Lee.

Mr Lee also commented on the state of the opposition.

"It seems to me rather exciting day-to-day changes, transformations, quarrels, squabbles, new friendships and old enmities all surfacing at the same time. I look forward to the next instalment," said Mr Lee.

The next General Election is expected to be keenly fought, with the opposition saying it will contest all seats.

- CNA/cc

Edited by Vulcann

'Good' cos now as he said instead of focusing his attention on improving ppl's life, he will focus on fixing the opposition.

Wow, very matured answer from incorruptible man! <_<

A good leader will be one dat focus on improving ppl's life regardless of opposition!

Who dare to report papa internal fights or disagreements?

No one dare to report....of course no one will hear of it lah.

Even the slapping incident, rumors or real...no one know.

If no internal disagreements....only shows that all are yes men....YES to million dollar salary....who in the right mind will argue to get kicked out?

I would also yes sir yes sir three bags full if I can get in!!

if the opposition really go all out & contest all seats, the ruling party will be forced to defend all their existing turf. even the heavy weight ministers may not spend much more time giving support to the SMCs like they usually do like in the past GEs.

based on the existing situation, it is quite unlikely there will be major upsets in the next GE. it is IMHO that any GRCs, every single one anchored by a cabinet minister or more, will ever fall into the hands of any opposition.

SMCs, on the other hand, are fair game. It all depends on how strong the ruling party candidates are (although unlikely to be a cabinet minister & at most a minister of state) & how the opposition plan out amongst themselves & of course to prevent a 3 or more cornered fights.

(edited)

if, & i stress again IF, the opposition lose badly when they contested all seats, the ruling party will be able to announce proudly: See, this time round everyone voted & the results speak for themselves! Don't ever come & say no chance to vote bec of walkovers again!

I just hope the opposition parties can work together as well as sending quality candidates to give the ruling party candidates a run for the money.

Edited by Vulcann

ya pls...if u gonna vote for the papaya then might as well dont cry for voting rights in the first place.

good! so long the the opposition don put a monkey to contest, i'll vote opposition!

some will even vote for the monkey, now finally got the chance to vote...

↡ Advertisement