Isnt this as good as setting min. wage?

Tom_kkh

SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Manpower is raising the salary thresholds of two groups of workers -- local full-time and skilled foreign workers -- from July this year.

And with foreign worker levies increasing again, it is timely for companies such as Lerk Thai to innovate.

Since December, machines have been doing the cooking at Lerk Thai's outlet in Bedok Point.

In one corner, a machine works the boiler, while another handles the wok

The restaurant said the food tastes the same, but the cooking is done much quicker, while manpower costs are down by 20 to 30 per cent.

Sales have also been increased by between 20 and 30 per cent since the changes were introduced.

Lerk Thai is one of the restaurants managed by Select Group.

The company's executive director Jack Tan said: "With the whole process in place, the chef can multi-task, instead of just standing in front of the wok to look after the wok."

Lerk Thai is now looking into introducing automation for future outlets.

Currently, the number of foreign workers a company can employ depends on the number of full-time local staff on its payroll.

To prevent companies from paying locals "token salaries" to gain access to foreign workers, from July, their benchmark salary will be raised from S$650 to S$850.

This is also in line with rising wages.

Minimum salaries for skilled foreigners are also going up.

The S-Pass levy will also be raised, by between S$190 and S$300.

Minister for Manpower Gan Kim Yong said this is because the S-Pass stock has "more than doubled" since 2007, which is "clearly not sustainable".

For S-Pass holders, this will be set at S$2,000, up from the current S$1,800, while the three categories of Employment Pass holders will be S$2,800, S$4,000 and S$8,000.

The salary threshold for Q1 passes will be raised from S$2,500 to S$2,800; that of P2 passes will go up from S$3,500 to S$4,000 and for P1 passes, the new threshold will be S$8,000, up from the current S$7,000.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1115310/1/.html

hmmmm, isn't this as good as setting min. salary for foreign workers?

And they say it will not work and do not wish to do it for local workers???

↡ Advertisement

yup ... minimum salary for FT

the idea is to raise UP minimum salary for FT so that employer would consider to employ "cheaper" local who can do the same job

however, the flip side of the coin is if the job goes to FT because local don't want or can't do, then it makes FT earns even more, cost goes up, consumer suffers

Edited by Wt_know

I think it will create a fairer competition between locals and FTs as FTs cannot accept lower salary even if they wanted to.

I think it will create a fairer competition between locals and FTs as FTs cannot accept lower salary even if they wanted to.

it will not. local will expect higher pay because of that. then, those in white collar will also want higher pay too.

it will not. local will expect higher pay because of that. then, those in white collar will also want higher pay too.

If that happen, nth much to say liao. Since local self pwn themselves.

This min wage thing us to prevent companies from using cheaper foreign labour by making sure they are paid same as singaporeans.

This min wage thing us to prevent companies from using cheaper foreign labour by making sure they are paid same as singaporeans.

It will also prevent any excuses from Singaporeans, so I think its fair competition just solely base on effort and talents.

It will also prevent any excuses from Singaporeans, so I think its fair competition just solely base on effort and talents.

Put it simply. Now, employers won't hire foreigners just coz of the pay as they are paid almost the same as singaporeans already. It now gives singaporeans a fair fight. But be Prepared for rising service costs and food in restaurants.

still not fair because of CPF.

employer still pay less with FW.

Put it simply. Now, employers won't hire foreigners just coz of the pay as they are paid almost the same as singaporeans already. It now gives singaporeans a fair fight. But be Prepared for rising service costs and food in restaurants.

but the thing is, will Singaporean willing to take the same pay as a foreign worker?!

Singaporean might "up" their salary because they don wan to be treated as "cheap labors"!

eg.

boss :" ok i offer u $2000 ai mei?"

Ah beng :" bo la, foreign worker also $2000, i Singaporean u gib me $2000?! $2500!"

boss: " ok i consider..."

next min, the boss goes for foreign worker, still "cheaper"

i would just say the salary requirement is a double-edged sword... there is a difference in self interest from the employer vs employee pov.

Neutral Newbie

I don't agree. I think setting a min wage for those who earn very little is a must. As inflation rise, I believe there are people who are earning less than 1.5k a mth can't cope very well. Also there are people that earn millions of dollars plus a 30% pay increase in such a short period of time. Just compare the millions dollars and the pathetic 1.5k.

Ah joe ah...

Expectation of local Sinkie cannot be driver of the market forces lah.

Jobs come and go.

You don't want ...somebody will take.

It could be a problem if only monetary markers are used to regulate and control the industries.

It is too blunt a tool to target the many issues.

that is why i say, this ideal not going to work.

Ah joe ah...

Expectation of local Sinkie cannot be driver of the market forces lah.

Jobs come and go.

You don't want ...somebody will take.

It could be a problem if only monetary markers are used to regulate and control the industries.

It is too blunt a tool to target the many issues.