Former swim queen's father jailed for loanshark activities

Billcoke

20110310.222433_jos_law.jpg

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews...310-267457.html

68-year-old retiree was jailed two years for illegally issuing loans and making $12,000 in profits. - AsiaOne

Thu, Mar 10, 2011

AsiaOne

SINGAPORE - A 68-year-old retiree who was sentenced to jail yesterday and fined $150,000 for running a loan shark racket was identified by Shin Min Daily News as the father of Singapore's retired swim queen, Joscelin Yeo, who is also currently a Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP).

The Straits Times reported yesterday that Lawrence Yeo was arrested in January and pleaded guilty to five of seven charges of illegal money lending.

He had forked out $80,000 to set up his illegal money-lending operation with one maid, 27-year-old Honey Irene Busto Pande. He and Pande charged 15 per cent on the loans, and illegally lent money to 300 people - all of them maids - between June 2010 and January 2011, with sums between $100 and $700.

He lent out an estimated $10,000 and made $12,000 in profit from the loans they gave out - which he split equally with Pande, according to Deputy Public Prosecutor Qiu Huixiang.

He later roped in three more maids, who were also his debtors, to be his runners. The three, Amparo Cacayuran Gayo, 36, Monalisa Carlos Siriban, 30 and Ma Consuelo Gonzales Deinla, 44, lent out money at an interest rate of 20 per cent, and made 5 per cent from the loans they issued.

Shock over news that loan shark is NMP's dad

Click on thumbnail to view (Photos: ST)

Pande was sentenced to 18 months' jail and a fine of $150,000. The other three maids were sentenced to three to six months' imprisonment and given fines of up to $60,000 as they had played lesser parts in the operation.

A reporter from the Chinese evening daily visited the family's home in Bukit Batok. A domestic helper there confirmed that the house belonged to Yeo. But she stopped answering questions after further enquiries on whether she knew Joscelin Yeo.

Neighbours said that the family moved into the house about four to five years ago, but only Yeo, one of his sons and the maid remained in the house, after Joscelin got married last year, and his wife passed away in 2009. The family does not interact often with the neighbours.

RELATED STORIES

* Man operated loanshark racket with four maids

* Singapore's retired swim queen to walk down the aisle

Joscelin has two other brothers, older brother, Leonard, and younger brother, Gerard, who were also former national swimmers.

The Chinese daily did not manage to contact Joscelin Yeo for comments.

In 2001, Yeo also had a brush with the law. On Nov 19, 1999, he molested his former Indonesian maid at his home in Namly Drive when she was in the kitchen pouring him a glass of water. He was jailed for 10 months, but escaped caning because of his age.

↡ Advertisement

If my memory serves me right...

THIS SAME GUY WAS CONVICTED OF MOLESTING HIS MAID...a few years back.

Fxxker was lucky that when he commited the offence...he was over 50..

Thus saving his butt from the rotan! :D

=================================================================

They say a leopard never changes his spots......or in Chinese wise saying...once you kenna a black mark...you are black forever...

I believe that humans are very difficult to change....just like when someone wants to keep UPPING HIS PAY...THEY CAN NEVER STOP!!! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Never spare a thought for his daughter ....i think she is going to buy a brown paper bag to cover her face...

Aiyah...afterall with that kind of face....

BETTER COVER lah! [laugh]

Opps...I'm mean...

But that's just ME! [laugh]

Aiyah...afterall with that kind of face....

BETTER COVER lah! [laugh]

Opps...I'm mean...

But that's just ME! [laugh]

ok lah.. not so bad until must cover..have seen worse....wau hahahahaha...

Now I know why Jocelin looked like a man from certain angle...There's definitely some resemblance in their faces...

Now I know why Jocelin looked like a man from certain angle...There's definitely some resemblance in their faces...

I hope it's only the face that has some resemblance...not the character! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Turbocharged

her lao bei so evil want to discredit his daughter..will she lose her NMP position?

Very surprised she is a NMP.

didnt know about it until i read the article.

She can say goodbye to all her fame and famous day by her own father ruining her future.

Very surprised she is a NMP.

didnt know about it until i read the article.

She can say goodbye to all her fame and famous day by her own father ruining her future.

i saw this from another forum..i had a good laugh!! [laugh]

Just realised the father of national swimmer Joscelin Yeo is a convicted loan shark.No wonder she can swim so well.