1. 1. Which fish is better to steam.

• Garoupa
    • Soon Hock
    • Sea bass
    • Promfet
    • Others

Which fish is better to steam.

Garoupa Soon Hock Sea bass Promfet

Do you actually mean Pomfret served better in fried form than steamed?

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Oh what the Fish..... thought I read What Fish will Make you Steam..... [laugh][:p] .... must be the Root Beer I have......

Think all Fishes should make one 'steam' [laugh]

Healthier option that does not clog up arteries.

always drive past here but never try before leh

which dishes nice?

i dont like curry fish head with curry powder taste how's it here

Yalor, I also dislike those curry fish head with powdery taste. Anyway, I still prefer to eat curry with red snapper fish head.

Regards,

Yalor, I also dislike those curry fish head with powdery taste. Anyway, I still prefer to eat curry with red snapper fish head.

Regards,

u ever try the taman jurong food centre one? that one is my fav

Alot depends on the freshness of the fish, steaming time and sauce used. The ones you mentioned are all good. There are a few others that are not so popular but quite as good for steaming, if done correctly.

This shop does steam fish in the afternoon quite well and offers a variety of different fishes at reasonable price. You might be interested:

Block 253, Jurong East Street 24 #01-205 Singapore 600253.

Zai Shun Curry Fish Head

Thanks

Will certainly go to try

I am a fish lover. If you ask me, I think certain fish just tastes better when fried and some is just better for steaming. For e.g I find Soon Hock is more suitable for frying compared to other types of fish such as pompfret and seabass. For me, I think seabass is still better for steaming. But of cos for steaming, the fish has to be very fresh...if fish not so fresh, frying it mask its "unfreshness" better compared to steaming it.

learnt this when deciding my wedding menu..soon hock is better cos garoupa is generally more prone to mud and fishy smell.

But I thought mainly the fresh water fish has the muddy fishy taste and sea water fish less prone to such taste.

Regards,

Just to confirm

Is Red Snapper and "Ang Goh Lee" the same?

Just to confirm

Is Red Snapper and "Ang Goh Lee" the same?

I think so leh [laugh]. Would other fish guru please clarify this one.

Thank you.

Regards,

u ever try the taman jurong food centre one? that one is my fav

I thought there is more than one there?

Regards,

Fried Promfet? :wacko:

I was told only Black Pomfret is used for frying as the flesh is tougher and can without heat better.

Anyway, I don't like fried pomfret, whether white, black or golden.

Regards,

the 3rd floor corner one?

I think so, can't remember which floor but if I go there, more or less can find the way to that stall..Long time never go already. Must make a visit there once after my 1 week trip. My kids don't seem to like hawker food like I do... <_<

Regards,

Which Promfret? I personally prefer the Golden Promfret [thumbsup].

Regards,

Forgotten to add, it's the "Pek Chionh" White Promfet.

The black one I like it fried, with a bit of light soy sauce and some garlic.

I heard the best is the 'Dao Chionh'

Is it's the Golden Promfet you mentioned?

Forgotten to add, it's the "Pek Chionh" White Promfet.

The black one I like it fried, with a bit of light soy sauce and some garlic.

I heard the best is the 'Dao Chionh'

Is it's the Golden Promfet you mentioned?

Yap, Golden Pomfret is my all time favourite among the pomfrets [thumbsup] .

Regards,

always drive past here but never try before leh

which dishes nice?

i dont like curry fish head with curry powder taste how's it here

The stall is locatedin a coffee shop beside the carpark. They only serve lunch. Go between 1100 to 1300hrs. They do it ala Teochew Porridge style. It is the only stall (I think they own the coffee shop). There is another Zai Sun Zi Tzar which opens in the evening, probably related.

The main attraction is the variety of steam fishes available. Garoupa, Promfret and Eng Ko (Parrot Fish) are available most of the time. Snapper (Head), Su Mei, Sultan Fish once a while. On and off they have other fishes depending on the catch. They offer different kinds of steaming but I've only tried HK style and Teochew style so far. They manage to steam the fish to near perfection every time. I've tried the curry fish head once, it is not too bad but I prefer steam fish. It is always crowded so you can look around and see what others eat before deciding.

The Pig leg (Tzu Kar), fish cake, white cabbage, Kailan with Oyster sauce goes well with the meal. Ask for the soup of the day, the salted duck soup is nice too. Mix you own chilli sauces at the table.

Best to visit at around 1130-1145 before the lunch crowd decends, parking should not be a problem. The fishes are laid out on a counter. Choose what you like, don't be afraid to ask for recommendation from the Tao Chiew inside the stall. There are more fishes kept inside the styrofoam box so he might have something just right for you. Try to bring along 3-4 friends so that you are able to order more dishes.

A lunch for 4-5 person with a good sized fish will cost around $60 to $70. The fish alone should be around $40+ to $50+.

The staff are busy but still manage to be rather friendly. Service is quite fast, no more than 10 minutes wait even at the busiest time. They are closed on Wednesday.

Bon Appetit. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement