62 members have voted

1. 1. Which fish is better to steam.

• Garoupa
    • Soon Hock
    • Sea bass
    • Promfet
    • Others

cod got this very bad strong odour/taste leh

Any ocean fish that is fresh will taste good, that is the general rule. Fresh water or those farmed salt water fishes are usually the one with funny taste and smell. I usually have no issue with cod. Favorites are soon Hock, garoupa and white/golden pomfret for steaming as meat is sweet on its own, others better to cook it thai style.

For frying, I love "saitoh" (in hokkien), lots of bones but super sweet. Other fishes good for frying are batang and taupan (Spanish mackerel, I think), the latter is also good for porridge dishes.

I know of teochew using this small silver fishes with lots of small bones to cook their soup base, anyone can enlighten me to the name of the fish? It is about 10 cm long with very soft body....

Edited by Voodooman
↡ Advertisement

I know of teochew using this small silver fishes with lots of small bones to cook their soup base, anyone can enlighten me to the name of the fish? It is about 10 cm long with very soft body....

could be swa jiam. Sand Whiting.

Have been eating fish for years, but can never really recall taste and texture between the Soon Hock & Garoupa. [laugh]

Prefer steam fish now as it's a healthier option.

Generally saltwater fish hv a better taste cos most freshwater fish r rear in muddy ponds n their flesh usually hv a muddy taste.

When u steam, it is very noticable unless u mask it with some strong sauce.

I like steamed Seabass, Groupa, Ang Kueh, Tinggiri or Snapper or any very fresh sea caught fish but some hv a very fishy smell so u need to put ginger, garlic n soya sauce to mask the smell.

Soon Hock is freshwater n live in edges of ponds so u might hv some muddy taste on some of them depending on if the water was very fresh n clean where u caught the fish.

I also didnt like fried pomfret until my frens brought me to a coffeeshop in Tanjung Sedili. The lady chef served us the best fried pomfret I ever tasted!!! The sauce was the secret to the dish. Simply wonderful.

Anyway, her menu varies and depends on the catch of the day from the fishermen. Have to make order in the morning for dinner at night.

My favorite steam fish is RED groupa. If the fish is fresh, the meat is chunky and sweet. I only love my soon hock alive swimming in my fish tank. [laugh]

Hi Adrian.

Can give more precise location where this shop is in Tg. Sedili? I check if can find in my GPS.

Maybe next trip to Desaru, I might want to try. [rolleyes]

Neutral Newbie

IMO, The silver promfet steam with salted vegetables and prunes best. Then if Garoupa want to steam hor, put the fried Chay Poh and Fried Garlic ontop after steam.

But if Cod fish available, who dont want? [laugh] [laugh]

Any ocean fish that is fresh will taste good, that is the general rule. Fresh water or those farmed salt water fishes are usually the one with funny taste and smell. I usually have no issue with cod. Favorites are soon Hock, garoupa and white/golden pomfret for steaming as meat is sweet on its own, others better to cook it thai style.

For frying, I love "saitoh" (in hokkien), lots of bones but super sweet. Other fishes good for frying are batang and taupan (Spanish mackerel, I think), the latter is also good for porridge dishes.

yes but specifically to cod there is a weird taste/odour. any bros taste it?

could be swa jiam. Sand Whiting.

Thanks, it does not look like it. The one I bought looks a little like needle fish but it is not so elongated (similar texture but softer skin and meat). I bought some when the fishmonger recommended it to me and there was this teochew guys who strongly endorsed it. The soup tasted superb, very sweet, but the meat is not quite edible due to the many and numerous small bones (soft but sharp). I have not seen it being sold since. Was hoping to get the name of the fish so can ask my fishmonger to reserve for me.

Sorry, not very good description to work with and I only have a vague idea of how it looks like, just trying my luck.

Nope, I love cod fish, you probably ate a second grade fish.

Could be from a 1 month fishing trip and not properly refrigerated (my guess) That is why fishes caught from overnight boat come with such a big premium.

Nope, I love cod fish, you probably ate a second grade fish.

Could be from a 1 month fishing trip and not properly refrigerated (my guess) That is why fishes caught from overnight boat come with such a big premium.

dunno leh from restaurants one. all that ive eaten so far have this odd taste. maybe im too sensitive [laugh]

Hi Adrian.

Can give more precise location where this shop is in Tg. Sedili? I check if can find in my GPS.

Maybe next trip to Desaru, I might want to try. [rolleyes]

Sorry, I dont have the exact address of the place or the GPS coordinates. It is a coffeeshop near the jetty there. It is the only chinese coffeeshop there. The lady owner dress in malay clothings but speak mandarin. The fish and seafood there very fresh as its direct from the fishing boats.

It is a very very small fishing town, the whole place is abt one football field big only. The coffeeshop is on the left of this photo, cant be seen in the photo thou.

post-2654-1300077633_thumb.jpg

post-2654-1300077640_thumb.jpg

post-2654-1300077648_thumb.jpg

dunno leh from restaurants one. all that ive eaten so far have this odd taste. maybe im too sensitive [laugh]

maybe u not used to it? or u eat together with the skin top part where there is a layer of fats?

maybe u not used to it? or u eat together with the skin top part where there is a layer of fats?

yes think so there is

Sorry, I dont have the exact address of the place or the GPS coordinates. It is a coffeeshop near the jetty there. It is the only chinese coffeeshop there. The lady owner dress in malay clothings but speak mandarin. The fish and seafood there very fresh as its direct from the fishing boats.

It is a very very small fishing town, the whole place is abt one football field big only. The coffeeshop is on the left of this photo, cant be seen in the photo thou.

OK I think I know the place. I parked in front of the shop last time I went fishing there.

Ty were closed at night, abt 9pm so I guess ty dont open at night. A few shops to the right run by malays(beside the small road we can see clearly between the shops) was where we had some coffee n snacks.

I might try them next time I go Desaru.

Thanks. [wave]

OK I think I know the place. I parked in front of the shop last time I went fishing there.

Ty were closed at night, abt 9pm so I guess ty dont open at night. A few shops to the right run by malays(beside the small road we can see clearly between the shops) was where we had some coffee n snacks.

I might try them next time I go Desaru.

Thanks. [wave]

Sedili town and Desaru are abt 40+km apart. The road that link these two places is yet to be completed. I think it should be soon. As MY calls it "Akan Datang". :D

Sedili town and Desaru are abt 40+km apart. The road that link these two places is yet to be completed. I think it should be soon. As MY calls it "Akan Datang". :D

As Always but when there its OK to take a bit longer drive [drivingcar] cos I got all the time in the world. Anyway I already tried Rengit N sengat so next I wil bring wifey n frens to try Sedili. :D

There is another place around there like big "warong" where got sell lots of malay food like satay n burgers n such. Even their drinks stall sell all sorts like chendol, fruit jellies n many more. Nice place with a fruit stall around the corner. Cheap n good. [thumbsup]