• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
1392 replies to this topic | 1,183 praises

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

Presea
  • Premium member
    Presea
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Last Friday morning, I realised that something was wrong with my 08 Passat 1.8TSI's gearbox (only had 3rd Gear when driving forwards - No problem with Park, Neutral and Reverse). Even when I tried to change gear manually, or use a different mode, it still stayed in 3rd gear when driving (indicator is always 3).

Hence it was pretty sluggish off the line, and to maintain highway speeds, the engine was rather strained.

So, I drove straight to VW Service Centre.

At first, the receptionist said that a Master Technician needed to take a look at my car, and asked me to have a seat at the lounge. And around 9am, she came by and told me that the Master Technician was still with another car, and that I should leave my key with them, and that they would call me back when they found out what was wrong with my car.

I waited until 2pm Friday afternoon to call them, and that was when I realised that they had passed my "case" onto a Service Advisor.

When I finally spoke to the Service Advisor, he informed me that there was a queue of cars waiting for a Master Technician to take a look. He then advised me that my car could only be seen on Saturday at the earliest. I then requested that he call me once my car was seen and to update me on the situation.

Saturday morning came and went and after several missed calls, I finally managed to speak to my Service Advisor who apologetically informed me that my car had not been seen. He could not even indicate when my car could be seen, and that it is likelt to be Monday.
I called again this morning (monday) and he said he would call me back...

I called again in the afternoon... and he still hadn't stopped seeing his case load of incoming cars....
72+ hours (3 days) of cars and no one can tell me if anything is wrong with my car (or if it was just a temporary issue).

Are there so many VW cars at the workshop, or just so few technicians and mechanics?

Edited by BabyBlade, 31 October 2014 - 09:32 AM.

Columbian78 and 1 Anonymous member praised this
2016-present Volkswagen Sharan
2008-2016 Volkswagen Passat
2007-2008 Honda Civic 2.0M
2001-2007 Nissan Presea 1.6M

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

Sleepy-T
  • Sleepy-T
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Last Friday morning, I realised that something was wrong with my 08 Passat 1.8TSI's gearbox (only had 3rd Gear when driving forwards - No problem with Park, Neutral and Reverse). Even when I tried to change gear manually, or use a different mode, it still stayed in 3rd gear when driving (indicator is always 3).

Hence it was pretty sluggish off the line, and to maintain highway speeds, the engine was rather strained.

At first, the receptionist said that a Master Technician needed to take a look at my car, and asked me to have a seat at the lounge. And around 9am, she came by and told me that the Master Technician was still with another car, and that I should leave my key with them, and that they would call me back when they found out what was wrong with my car.

I waited until 2pm Friday afternoon to call them, and that was when I realised that they had passed my "case" onto a Service Advisor.

When I finally spoke to the Service Advisor, he informed me that there was a queue of cars waiting for a Master Technician to take a look. He then advised me that my car could only be seen on Saturday at the earliest. I then requested that he call me once my car was seen and to update me on the situation.

Saturday morning came and went and after several missed calls, I finally managed to speak to my Service Advisor who apologetically informed me that my car had not been seen. He could not even indicate when my car could be seen, and that it is likelt to be Monday.

I called again in the afternoon... and he still hadn't stopped seeing his case load of incoming cars....
72+ hours (3 days) of cars and no one can tell me if anything is wrong with my car (or if it was just a temporary issue).

Are there so many VW cars at the workshop, or just so few technicians and mechanics?

seen like ur SA is not doing his best to aid u, who ur SA?
did u call and ask for the Services Manager?
go make some noise with him laugh.gif

1 Anonymous member praised this
己所不欲 勿施于人

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

Sleepy-T
  • Sleepy-T
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

btw heard that some master techs have resign becoz of frank shakehead.gif

己所不欲 勿施于人

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

Shrek
  • Shrek
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

oh man. u are so nice. if i'm in your shoe. i will be demanding to speak to their Manager....

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

Tploh
  • Tploh
    5th Gear
    Author Image

have you ever change your ATF before ?

my VW gearbox is "lifetime" ATF - means no need to change ATF. My mechanic told me, "either you change ATF or your change gearbox later." Which make sense to me, given the temperature and friction a gearbox has to function.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

0wnage
  • Premium member
    0wnage
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Why am I not surprised? You'll probably have to wait a week to get your car checked.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Yuan
  • Premium member
    Yuan
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

seen like ur SA is not doing his best to aid u, who ur SA?
did u call and ask for the Services Manager?
go make some noise with him laugh.gif

And get more warranty coverage, free servicing, free accessories and perhaps free installment payments laugh.gif laugh.gif
|1994|Diploma-Legum Baccalaureus-Legum Magister|Financial Prudence|HDB|MedisaveApproveIntegratedPlan-Insurance|Manchester United FC|Genuine Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Specifications-Parts|VAG RennTech Intel Modul|Akebono Brake Pads|

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

Nightsky
  • Nightsky
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Why am I not surprised? You'll probably have to wait a week to get your car checked.

May be the 7-Spd DSG failure, which may require yet another long downtime to replace the gearbox.. dizzy.gif

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Chpeck
  • Chpeck
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Thanks for letting the world know the service quality there.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

Ckchong8
  • Premium member
    Ckchong8
    4th Gear
    Author Image

May be the 7-Spd DSG failure, which may require yet another long downtime to replace the gearbox.. dizzy.gif

Probably beyond his / her knowledge now consulting VW oversea expert .

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Anyname
  • Anyname
    Clutched
    Author Image

Well known problem with the dry pack 7speed DSG (I believe it' s 1.7 litre cap) probably mechantonic (electronic actuator) failure (next to the gearbox), need to order in. Common to Jetta, Golf (1.4 only), Sirrocco (1.4), TSI or TSI. Lucky you did not need a tow in. Read VASG threads which happens after about 20000km just before the mandatory DSG oil change which is why they they are giving you a 5 year waranty on the gearbox only.

Heard some people change their gearbox oil every 15000km to prolong do not know if it actually helps. Expect juddering especially when you have been sensitised to this particular situation.
My commiserations

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Kyrios
  • Kyrios
    6th Gear
    Author Image

aha...sell too many cars liao...just like our gahmen and smrt..now tearing at the seams..

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Cavajovi
  • Cavajovi
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Hi Bro,

I had the same make with you. I don't know if this would help you.

The problem is that when you start your engine, try to wait wait for a few seconds before you shift. The software inside will lock your gear on 3rd if they sense something wrong. Sometimes when I am in a hurry, i would down shift too fast resulting in lock 3rd gear. All you need to do is either to shut down completely and restart or reset your ecu.

From experience, they cannot do much except to re-flash your trans.

I hope this is your solution.

Cheers
Sozo praised this

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

Kenmical
  • Premium member
    Kenmical
    5th Gear
    Author Image

No wonder so many 1.4 TSI selling in used car market. lol

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Roh96
  • Roh96
    Supercharged
    Author Image

TS, i can sense your pain. Paying so much for a car and yet receive this type of service, this is totally unacceptable.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

ok... not gonna consider VW anymore..... make car until so complicated and wait few days just to have them look at my car? sheng jin bing
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

Presea
  • Premium member
    Presea
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Wow, this was from almost a year back.

For all: Mine is a 6AT, not a DSG.

The result after that was a 3 day wait for my car to be seen and then a 1.5 day troubleshooting which resulted in practically no actual diagnosis except perhaps reflashing the gearbox control unit.

Now 11 months later, my gearbox actually has a permanent issue which I've been living with for the past 2 months... the transmission "valve body" is not functioning properly, and when changing from 3-4, there will be a hesitation which will allow the revs to rise (if my foot is on the accelerator) and then it eventually changes gear with a shudder (high revs and gearchange is bad for an auto transmission). And in 5th and 6th gear, if I am still trying to accelerate, the gear seems to "pop out" (similar to my previous Presea manual gearbox), and then I am high revving in neutral... ...when the revs go down, the gear will engage back and I can continue my journey.

As such I have been driving less aggressively (lifting when the gear goes from 3rd to 4th) and slowly accelerating in higher gears; and the MOST POSITIVE thing to happen is that my Fuel Consumption has gone from 7.5km/L to over 10km/L biggrin.gif

Based on my research, a similar problem is occuring in the VW Beetle is USA that use the same gearbox, and they have subsequently increased the Warranty on the transmission with respect to the Valve Body issue to 7 years and/or 100,000 miles. They also put in place the 40,000mile servicing schedule for the gearbox since 2010.

The moral of the story is that there is no such thing as a "Lifetime Service-Free Transmission".

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

Babyt
  • Babyt
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

so what car are u driving now?

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

Presea
  • Premium member
    Presea
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Just living with my problem, so it's still the Passat

Edited by Presea, 07 February 2012 - 11:19 AM.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

W210k
  • W210k
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks for letting the world know the service quality there.

Or the lack thereof?
With all these DSG and mechatronics related problems surfacing, best to avoid VW till the problem is fully resolved.
Otherwise you'll be carrying the hot potato!!
V6 Quad-cam 24v 231 BHP RWD
IL-6 DOHC 24v 192 BHP x-Drive

Back to Volkswagen Auto Club  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Huat Lee Batteries & Motor Service Pte Ltd

Huat Lee Batteries & Motor Service Pte Ltd  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Bitae2910  |  Neutral Newbie

Car unable to start. Called huat lee, answered by Roland. I make an enquire for the pricing . Was able to got back response within 10 mins. Gladly arrange car to be tow ,waited for 2 hours, the car back to live. Wanted to thank Roland for his helpfulness, fast response and very service orientated . The price offered for replacement and the part is also reasonable as wel... » Read More

MeisterWerke Garage

MeisterWerke Garage  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Melvinyuen  |  4th Gear

Installed my pedal box today in store. Good service and responds from the staff.
Thank you.

Related Motor Directory search on sgCarMart.com : Huat Lee Batteries & Motor Service Pte Ltd, MeisterWerke Garage, Godspeed AutoTechnik

Quick Reply

Tags: gearbox, issues, problems and 2 more...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users