Gearbox issues; and problems at VW Service Centre

Presea

(edited)

Just living with my problem, so it's still the Passat

Edited by Presea
↡ Advertisement

Thanks for letting the world know the service quality there.

Or the lack thereof?

With all these DSG and mechatronics related problems surfacing, best to avoid VW till the problem is fully resolved.

Otherwise you'll be carrying the hot potato!!

• Praise 1

Just living with my problem, so it's still the Passat

I admire your perseverance, living with a problematic VW of a car!

BTW, I thought that the 1.8TFSI Passat then came with a 6-speed multitronic (CVT) and not Tiptronic auto? I may be wrong though.

ok... not gonna consider VW anymore..... make car until so complicated and wait few days just to have them look at my car? sheng jin bing

sometimes better to just drive manual [laugh]

• Praise 2

ok... not gonna consider VW anymore..... make car until so complicated and wait few days just to have them look at my car? sheng jin bing

The GTI looks good, especially the E35. It is using the less problematic wet 6 speeder.

You can consider that. [sly]

• Praise 1

have you ever change your ATF before ?

my VW gearbox is "lifetime" ATF - means no need to change ATF. My mechanic told me, "either you change ATF or your change gearbox later." Which make sense to me, given the temperature and friction a gearbox has to function.

Haha. That's funny. So it is "lifetime" ATF, but VW gearbox "lifetime" is short.

• Praise 2

Common to Jetta, Golf (1.4 only), Sirrocco (1.4), TSI or TSI.

Wah didn't know the "TSI" difference is so subtle, next time on the road will make it a point to see.

Current models

http://www.volkswagen.com.sg/sg/en/models/...ifications.html

http://www.volkswagen.com.sg/sg/en/models/...ifications.html

7-speed DSG unless you got the 2 litre version

Audi has also similar problems with the A1 (not on the scale of VW) but much faster turn around time.

VW sourced Audi's 1.8TSi with 6AT Tip when replacing the old 2.0NA engine. Don't remember when DSG was introduced with the 1.8T Passat.

Haven't heard any issues with the 6AT or the newer 8AT Tip. Aren't these from ZF?

Edited by Habeebhashim

Neutral Newbie

VW sourced Audi's 1.8TSi with 6AT Tip when replacing the old 2.0NA engine. Don't remember when DSG was introduced with the 1.8T Passat.

Haven't heard any issues with the 6AT or the newer 8AT Tip. Aren't these from ZF?

Torque converters are great, the 7-gear DSG wet-pack (6-7 litres) are better but not better than torque converters (so far seem to be bullet proof), its just that the 1.7 Litre 7-DSG dry pack oil reservoir is not particularly suited for start-stop hot climate use. Wonder if anyone has added a ATF cooler before, would be very interested in their feedback.

Edited by Anyname

It's definitely not a CVT, but a 6-speed tiptronic with Torque Convertor.

The rpms will rise with the vehicle speed...unlike a CVT

Anyway, now with the new problem, occasionally in 4th and 5th gear, the gearbox exhibits some CVT behaviour, holding the RPM while the speed increases... this is not a good thing, but it's just an interesting observation.

I really wonder how long this will continue...

• Praise 1

Just heard from my fren who called up abt 2 weeks ago (after CNY) to make booking for normal servicing. Operator said earliest date available was like end of Mar (!!). WTF is this? If during the 2 month waiting for service the car breakdown who is going to be responsible??

Not dat my fren dun want to service but they make her wait so long. Siao!

Dun buy VW!!

↡ Advertisement