Gearbox issues; and problems at VW Service Centre

Presea

Supersonic

Actually in my opinion, MU failure or gearbox replacement isn't a very expensive cost.. esp. when compared to the price of the entire car. When the car is out of warranty, an entirely new transmission replacement is $2000+ or so via 3rd party workshop. AD's cutthroat prices will be around $5000-$7000 inclusive of labour. After that, it buys you another 2-3 years of possible problem free gearbox experience.

What is actually more scary is premature engine haul due to piston crack.. Can happen before warranty ends, even so, it will cost you $12,000 for engine haul after AD offer you "good will" waiver of labour costs. But this issue more common for the twincharged models.. not the single turbocharged models.

That said, everyone's risk appetite is different. Some don't mind, some very particular. 

Warranty period covers piston crack right?

The only non 2.0 I know that uses the 6 wet is the Tiguan 1.4.  Unfortunately its using Twin charge i believe?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Warranty period covers piston crack right?

The only non 2.0 I know that uses the 6 wet is the Tiguan 1.4. Unfortunately its using Twin charge i believe?

Warranty should cover piston crack but owner still need to pay for exorbitant labour costs for the engine overhaul. Expect maybe $2000-5000.

Out of warranty is worst. The moment I found out about this issue, my car already out of warranty at 4.5 years old, only the 7DSG had extended warranty of total 5 years so I quickly sold it away. Some more high mileage user.. I am not prepared to spend $15K to repair the car no matter how much I liked it. Rather put it into a new car, which I did.

Supersonic

Warranty should cover piston crack but owner still need to pay for exorbitant labour costs for the engine overhaul. Expect maybe $2000-5000.

Out of warranty is worst. The moment I found out about this issue, my car already out of warranty at 4.5 years old, only the 7DSG had extended warranty of total 5 years so I quickly sold it away. Some more high mileage user.. I am not prepared to spend $15K to repair the car no matter how much I liked it. Rather put it into a new car, which I did.

Whoa. I tot in warranty shud cover labor n parts. In ur case is Heng Ah!
  • Praise 1

Whoa. I tot in warranty shud cover labor n parts. In ur case is Heng Ah!

I mean my car then no piston crack.. But I read about it for cars with only 60,000km mileage so to me is a time bomb so I sold it off.

Hi there....

For an 8 year old car with a rather aggressive driver, the issues will always be there.

Cat Convertor, Fuel Pump, Turbo parts... coolant parts... about 5K spent in the past year or so.

That also includes 2 rear door locks...

oddly enough, as my "new" Gearbox reaches 90k, and with a ATF servicing almost 60k ago, it is actually going very well.... just a little hard shifting from 2-3/3-2. Nothing like what I experiened 4 years ago.

But now, with the new parts... and even though I never "dynoed" it, the car accelerates even harder than I can remember, so if you see a Black B6 Passat doing crazy stuff on the road... it's just me... enjoying a newfound youthfulness.

More importantly, as I have not been going back to VW Service Center (I go to VAG East instead) I no longer have to wait for an appointment, or parts, or diagnostics. 2 weeks back, I drove there in the afternoon with a misfiring engine, and by evening, 4 new fuel pumps and a door lock fixed, I drove home.

I intend to keep the car beyond 10 years if the COE is low in 2 years time.

Thanks for the honest review. I also checked with a friend who I know personally driving a VW. His experience is sth like yours. First 1-2 years was bad with engine stalled. After the bug fix from VW, everything seems fine now. I just need to make sure that the bug fix really works. DSG replaced is given 5 year extended warranty. So all good. 

I thought that you are looking at the Harrier ?

In my opinion, our local weather and driving style could be the reason with the failure of the DSG, too much "start/stop" driving.

I would rather not take the risk with the dry clutch for any model under VW.

yup, no didn't work out in terms of numbers.

afaik, none on the cars that are selling now, works out. guess it is no car shopping for me

How about the attrage? Its the cheapest car in Spore, i think

yup, no didn't work out in terms of numbers.

afaik, none on the cars that are selling now, works out. guess it is no car shopping for me

hi folks! first time car buyer here!

i am shopping for a used golf 1.2A, registered in 2010, but i can't seem to find much resources online about the specifications.

does the golf 1.2A in 2010 comes equipped with the 'famed' 7 speed DSG dry clutch or the more reliable 6 speed DSG wet clutch?

TIA.

hi folks! first time car buyer here!

i am shopping for a used golf 1.2A, registered in 2010, but i can't seem to find much resources online about the specifications.

does the golf 1.2A in 2010 comes equipped with the 'famed' 7 speed DSG dry clutch or the more reliable 6 speed DSG wet clutch?

TIA.

The former. 7 speed DSG "dry clutch" gearbox.

If you can, please look at other non-VW models.

• Praise 2

@Fels

what do you think of the EDC 6 dry that the Renault Fluence is using.

Since the car's torque is 240nm, I believe it should be on the Getrag EDC 6 Dry for up to 280nm.

Forget about @Fels

That sick custard is drunk somewhere. :a-fun:  [laugh]

(edited)

The former. 7 speed DSG "dry clutch" gearbox.

If you can, please look at other non-VW models.

thanks yuan.

from the LTA website, the vehicle model is GOLF 1.2L AT TSI 5K13D5.

which year onwards did vw "upgraded" to the 7 speed dsg dry clutch?

also, could you share the resource where we can find the different specifications for the different models / years?

Edited by jima

from the LTA website, the vehicle model is GOLF 1.2L AT TSI 5K13D5.

which year onwards did vw "upgraded" to the 7 speed dsg dry clutch?

thanks yuan.

I believe it is either 2009 or 2010.

I believe it is either 2009 or 2010.

could you share the resource where we can find the different specifications for the different models / years?

wanna keep it for my own reference.  [laugh] 

Supersonic

Dsg7 dry has torque limit of 250nm. So if the model has more than 250nm, should not b on dsg7 dry.

could you share the resource where we can find the different specifications for the different models / years?

wanna keep it for my own reference.  [laugh] 

I do not have the full specifications or information. Apologies.

Hi there....

For an 8 year old car with a rather aggressive driver, the issues will always be there.

Cat Convertor, Fuel Pump, Turbo parts... coolant parts... about 5K spent in the past year or so.

That also includes 2 rear door locks...

oddly enough, as my "new" Gearbox reaches 90k, and with a ATF servicing almost 60k ago, it is actually going very well.... just a little hard shifting from 2-3/3-2. Nothing like what I experiened 4 years ago.

But now, with the new parts... and even though I never "dynoed" it, the car accelerates even harder than I can remember, so if you see a Black B6 Passat doing crazy stuff on the road... it's just me... enjoying a newfound youthfulness.

More importantly, as I have not been going back to VW Service Center (I go to VAG East instead) I no longer have to wait for an appointment, or parts, or diagnostics. 2 weeks back, I drove there in the afternoon with a misfiring engine, and by evening, 4 new fuel pumps and a door lock fixed, I drove home.

I intend to keep the car beyond 10 years if the COE is low in 2 years time.

Bro u power la. I have same car as you, and also same issues, mainly the fuel and water pumps and relays. Engine and GB mounts changed too. I've also recon the GB once, and the same 3-2 juddering when cold. I make sure to change ATF every year now and no problems since. Only niggling problem is a fault code Catalyst System Efficiency below Threshold. It's not affecting daily driving

Having said that, Don't think i will renew the COE. The new Passat is a better drive [:p]

I do not have the full specifications or information. Apologies.

thanks yuan. appreciate your advise.

wanted to get a golf because i cant find a similar car at the same price point.

the reliable honda fit/jazz depreciation is about $100 more per month.

making it a not-so-wise choice (logically)....

@Baal, how can i check out if the 2010 1.2A TSI model has more than 250nm?

thanks yuan. appreciate your advise.

wanted to get a golf because i cant find a similar car at the same price point.

the reliable honda fit/jazz depreciation is about $100 more per month.

making it a not-so-wise choice (logically)....

@Baal, how can i check out if the 2010 1.2A TSI model has more than 250nm?

It is equipped with 7 speed DSG gearbox which has a torque limitation of 250 Nm.

↡ Advertisement