Merc E230(W211) or BMW 525i(E60)?

Skanps

haha then the 8speed gearbox in 523i F10 is famous for its tendency to break down in the short term :D

well... it is a bmw...

post-47601-1300523756_thumb.jpg

W204 vs E90 and W211 vs E60 is very different.

W211 definitely feels more old school than the E60, but not in a bad way. It rides smoother and feels more traditionally luxurious. Interior and boot space is better in the W211 as well.

However, if driver involvement is an important factor, skip the Merc. But don't underestimate the W211's ability to handle. Sure, the steering feel isn't as great as the E60's, but it is by no means bad.

If you value reliability, then choose the FL W211. The problems have pretty much been ironed out. Well, maybe the 7Gtronic gearbox of E230's has a bad rep, but the E60's gearbox isn't any better from what i have gathered.

I am considering the merc E230 of 2nd hand. But after hearing the 7Gtronic gearbox issue has a bad rep???

Can share more information and most properly any other big problem?

• Praise 1

For the FL,

some of the internal fittings (electrical systems eg. switches) were changed and updated as well as the outer facade (eg. bumper). Correct the later production units in 2007,08 dont have many issues. Personally I drive a 4pot SC and it gives a rather brutish pull similar to what you'd feel in a gti/sonata not so much the calm steadyness of a V6. The Mercedes M272 V6 is actually well known for its refinement and creamy-smoothness.

The COMAND (The germans very funny only use one M i know) for W211 is of a totally different generation from the W204 la brudder. The W204 one is of the same generation as the W212, W207 which are slightly more advanced than the W221's which is still 1 generation ahead of the W211's but if you're interested I can do it for you too but its rather costly as compared to a W204 or W212 or W207 and furthermore map updates they dont really do them anymore for W211 but the features in it are good to have la. We can always talk about this after you get your car so dont worry about it for now.

Since you referred to it as MMI i figure you must be from an Audi background laugh.gif

In Mercs, we have the standard stock Audio 20 system which is the regular one (COMAND is very rare in Singapore) with a small colour screen and is usually capable of only radio and bt telephony, on the pre-FL W211s, an older version of the Audio 20 is factory fitted and its a dot-matrix display system just like in hifi systems but in the FL late production units, a proper Audio 20 with full colour LCD is provided.

Let me know if you need more help, I can help you with a personalised report on the car if you require it.

Lastly whichever car you choose make sure you send it for a good ol' inspection laugh.gif

Hi there, 

Which inspection centre will you prefer?  Vicom or AAS  ??

• Praise 1

I am considering the merc E230 of 2nd hand. But after hearing the 7Gtronic gearbox issue has a bad rep???

Can share more information and most properly any other big problem?

7G Is costly.

• Praise 1

Hi all, Am considering a 10 years E200 (W211). Is it going to be expensive to maintain?

Thanks!

it will be cheaper to maintain compared to the e60

• Praise 1

it will be cheaper to maintain compared to the e60

Are you familiar with spare parts price of e60?

I can tell you e60 spare parts are abundant and is cheap.

• Praise 1

Are you familiar with spare parts price of e60?

I can tell you e60 spare parts are abundant and is cheap.

Just go eng soon.
  • Praise 1

Thank you guys for your input. So if I were to compare W211 and E60, let's say both from 2007, and I'm planning to extend beyond 10 years, which will be more hassle free and cheaper to maintain?  

The underlying objective is to consider a renewed COE luxury car with higher reliability :)

• Praise 1

Anyone currently driving this E200 W211 pass the 10 year mark? Mind sharing your experience?

So far only ppl renew COE for E200K

Not for E230... bcos roadtax is cheaper and E200K 5 speed GB is more reliable then the 7G for E230

Mine already break down twice in a span of 3 years

Actually it is not the GB issue, it is the electro .... something issue

A piece of electronic components that reside in the GB !

What is stupid design !

Other then that, no other major issue, the E200 body is like a tank, damn solid

U go and try push on the anypart of the body you will know :)

• Praise 1

Me driving an E230 for 5 years (2nd hand from 2013), no issue for Gear Box (flushed at about 130K Km). Mechanics says GB shall be flushed every 50-60K (some say 3 yrs)... only the air inlet manifold, one plastic link broken, changed. I know somebody has problem with the electronic card for GB, which may cost 3K to replace. I am thinking of renewing CEO for E230. High OMV becomes the pain now. [:p] . Products after 2006 shall be free of GB issue.

• Praise 1

Me driving an E230 for 5 years (2nd hand from 2013), no issue for Gear Box (flushed at about 130K Km). Mechanics says GB shall be flushed every 50-60K (some say 3 yrs)... only the air inlet manifold, one plastic link broken, changed. I know somebody has problem with the electronic card for GB, which may cost 3K to replace. I am thinking of renewing CEO for E230. High OMV becomes the pain now. [:p] . Products after 2006 shall be free of GB issue.

Your e230 w211 is 2.5L engine, road tax incremental of 10% can be an added cost. Yes w211 omv is quite expensive, the body should worth 2k to 3k at least , you might be better off getting a e230 w212 at lower omv and renew COE next year , hopefully PQP wont be too high by then