Do foreign workers have driving license ?

Jeff49er

Last evening at about 7pm when I tried to exit TPE to SLE, a med size lorry cut across my car from the left lane to filter to my lane. It was close. Good thing I slowed down.

FOund out the drive was a foreign talented driver. Do foreign workers have valid driving license and how they get those licenses ? Any brothers and sisters here can share ?

↡ Advertisement

For FT living in singapore to drive a vehicle, he should have singapore driving license. How he got it, you have to challenge the authorities. Upto class 3 they can convert to singapore driving license, as long as they get the attestation from their embassy. Anything above 3, they still have to go the practical test to get the license. Hope, now, you have very little chance to bash the FT.

For more details. read the contents of the link

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ser..._conversion.htm

Upto class 3 they can convert to singapore driving license, as long as they get the attestation from their embassy.

All the Banglas and Ah Tiongs are qualified drivers certified by their countries.

That is why they are driving in their Bangla and Ah Tiong styles here.

For lorries and other big commerical vehicles, what class of license required?

Is this my understanding - they can just convert and drive the big vehicles. ? Our TP rather catch us drivers than Ah tiongs and Ballas ?

Upto class 3 they can convert to singapore driving license, as long as they get the attestation from their embassy.

All the Banglas and Ah Tiongs are qualified drivers certified by their countries.

That is why they are driving in their Bangla and Ah Tiong styles here.

Now I am wondering how they can their licenses from their home countries ? :o

Now I am wondering how they can their licenses from their home countries ? :o

Maybe becos in their home countries the instructors and testers also drive like that.... so PASS! [laugh]

I saw one Ah Tiong roadhogging CTE middle lane at slow speed, causing a bottleneck during peak hour. He did not budge when I short highbeam him. When I pass him, he has that smug wry smile.

I could not help but feel he is purposely doing what he is doing to. I did not take down his VRN.

This is not my first encounter.

Cause of mysterious CTE jams these FT drivers?

In my previous company, they hire ah tiong drivers, although they have license to drive heavy vehicles back at their country, they can only convert to class 3 here, for class 4 they have to retake lesson and test again .

Maybe becos in their home countries the instructors and testers also drive like that.... so PASS!

Quite true.

Every country hv their own driving style and habit.

S'pore drivers love to horn.

Is this my understanding - they can just convert and drive the big vehicles. ? Our TP rather catch us drivers than Ah tiongs and Ballas ?

Read the link which i replied earlier bro. They cannot drive big vehicles by converting, they have to take the exams and practical test here in Singapore. yes, Tp should concentrate more on speeding heavy vehicles more, it has become come they ply at 80kmh nowadays.

Read the link which i replied earlier bro. They cannot drive big vehicles by converting, they have to take the exams and practical test here in Singapore. yes, Tp should concentrate more on speeding heavy vehicles more, it has become come they ply at 80kmh nowadays.

I thought heavy vehicles have speed limiters? Then how can they be travelling more than 50 km/h, they would automatically be considered as tempering with their speed limiters.

I thought heavy vehicles have speed limiters? Then how can they be traveling more than 50 km/h, they would automatically be considered as tempering with their speed limiters.

common, haven't you have encountered lorries traveling parallel to you in 90 kmh? Once at TPE, a lorry over took me when i am traveling at 90 kmh!!

Edited by Agalvilaku

They only need Class 3 for vehicles up to 2500kg unladen weight, which in fact includes many of those 14 foot lorries used to ferry workers back and forth.

When I took my Class 4 licence just for fun at Jurong last year (test centre has since shifted to Woodlands), I remember there was a notice saying that foreigners with work permit would only be allowed to sign up for the Class 4 and 5 tests if the work permit states their vocation as "Driver". So it probably isn't every single one of them who can get the licence to drive the really big vehicles.

But still, almost any foreigner with a driving licence can convert to a Class 3 licence with just the theory test and drive up to a 14 foot lorry which is big enough to cause lots of damage if not driven properly.

common, haven't you have encountered lorries traveling parallel to you in 90 kmh? Once at TPE, a lorry over took me when i am traveling at 90 kmh!!

Lorries travelling faster than cars on highways are common nowadays. Used to it already. But to be overtaken by a prime mover with container is another thing.

On one occasion, late at night on the ECP (11pm I think) I was travelling in the middle lane around 90km/h and a prime mover with container actually moved into the right-most lane and overtook me!

Edited by Bicolor

They only need Class 3 for vehicles up to 2500kg unladen weight, which in fact includes many of those 14 foot lorries used to ferry workers back and forth.

When I took my Class 4 licence just for fun at Jurong last year (test centre has since shifted to Woodlands), I remember there was a notice saying that foreigners with work permit would only be allowed to sign up for the Class 4 and 5 tests if the work permit states their vocation as "Driver". So it probably isn't every single one of them who can get the licence to drive the really big vehicles.

But still, almost any foreigner with a driving licence can convert to a Class 3 licence with just the theory test and drive up to a 14 foot lorry which is big enough to cause lots of damage if not driven properly.

Work permit holders, should not drive company vehicle if they are not classified as "Driver" in their employment application with MOM even if it is 2500 kg unladen weight vehicle.

Work permit holders, should not drive company vehicle if they are not classified as "Driver" in their employment application with MOM even if it is 2500 kg unladen weight vehicle.

Oh OK, thanks for correcting.

For FT living in singapore to drive a vehicle, he should have singapore driving license. How he got it, you have to challenge the authorities. Upto class 3 they can convert to singapore driving license, as long as they get the attestation from their embassy. Anything above 3, they still have to go the practical test to get the license. Hope, now, you have very little chance to bash the FT.

For more details. read the contents of the link

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ser..._conversion.htm

i wouldn't count on it. even their pilots fake licences.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/A...ory_645051.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110314/ap_on_...as_india_pilots

Neutral Newbie

Last evening at about 7pm when I tried to exit TPE to SLE, a med size lorry cut across my car from the left lane to filter to my lane. It was close. Good thing I slowed down.

FOund out the drive was a foreign talented driver. Do foreign workers have valid driving license and how they get those licenses ? Any brothers and sisters here can share ?

When we go other countries, we can drive too. And some of us also drive like tat [:p]

↡ Advertisement