• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
391 replies to this topic | 541 praises

Poll: What's your favourite Whiskey brand(s)? (102 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Whiskey(s) (includes single malts, bourbon, blended, etc)

1. Glenfiddich (21 votes [12.65%])

Percentage of vote: 12.65%

2. Macallan (41 votes [24.70%])

Percentage of vote: 24.70%

3. Glenlivet (11 votes [6.63%])

Percentage of vote: 6.63%

4. Highland Park (4 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

5. Ballantines (4 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

6. Cutty Sark (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Johnnie Walker (15 votes [9.04%])

Percentage of vote: 9.04%

8. Chivas (18 votes [10.84%])

Percentage of vote: 10.84%

9. Jim Beam (8 votes [4.82%])

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

10. Gentleman Jack (7 votes [4.22%])

Percentage of vote: 4.22%

11. Jack Daniels (21 votes [12.65%])

Percentage of vote: 12.65%

12. Others (16 votes [9.64%])

Percentage of vote: 9.64%

Other Drinks (everything else)

1. Beer (52 votes [25.24%])

Percentage of vote: 25.24%

2. Tequila (8 votes [3.88%])

Percentage of vote: 3.88%

3. Rum (7 votes [3.40%])

Percentage of vote: 3.40%

4. Vodka (17 votes [8.25%])

Percentage of vote: 8.25%

5. Red Wine (36 votes [17.48%])

Percentage of vote: 17.48%

6. White Wine (14 votes [6.80%])

Percentage of vote: 6.80%

7. Champagne (13 votes [6.31%])

Percentage of vote: 6.31%

8. Cocktails (8 votes [3.88%])

Percentage of vote: 3.88%

9. Soft Drinks (17 votes [8.25%])

Percentage of vote: 8.25%

10. Water (27 votes [13.11%])

Percentage of vote: 13.11%

11. Others (7 votes [3.40%])

Percentage of vote: 3.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

Parkingidiot
  • Parkingidiot
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

This thread was inspired after MO made me thirsty when he brought up the bottle of Jack in the Why Surf In MCF thread. I feel that Whisky deserves it's own thread... no politics or drink driving issues please... wink.gif

I love whiskey or whisky. Just a bit of general knowledge about the drink:

Whisky (Scottish English) or whiskey (Hiberno-English) is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash. Different grains are used for different varieties, including barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, and maize (corn). Whisky is aged in wooden casks, made generally of white oak, except that in the United States corn whiskey need not be aged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky

There are many varieties of whiskey (Single malts, blended, etc). Can read this for an info overload:
http://www.maltmadne...-to-scotch.html

So.. let's discuss the whiskeys (no offence to the beer or wine drinkers - you can always start your own threads).

Visit http://carcameras.blogspot.com/ for HD Digital Camcorders for car use

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

Unltd
  • Unltd
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

This thread was inspired after MO made me thirsty when he brought up the bottle of Jack in the Why Surf In MCF thread. I feel that Whisky deserves it's own thread... no politics or drink driving issues please... wink.gif

Whisky (Scottish English) or whiskey (Hiberno-English) is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash. Different grains are used for different varieties, including barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, and maize (corn). Whisky is aged in wooden casks, made generally of white oak, except that in the United States corn whiskey need not be aged.

There are many varieties of whiskey (Single malts, blended, etc). Can read this for an info overload:

So.. let's discuss the whiskeys (no offence to the beer or wine drinkers - you can always start your own threads).

You should try Ardbeg.... Really darned good if you like the smokey kinda taste....
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think your on drugs
"i'm not tailgating, i'm keeping up with the pace car"
When it's a question of money, everybody is of the same religion

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

Parkingidiot
  • Parkingidiot
    6th Gear
    Author Image

You should try Ardbeg.... Really darned good if you like the smokey kinda taste....

Ardbeg... hmm.. interesting.. never heard before... but reviews look good.
Don't remember seeing this brand around ... is it very exclusive, expensive?

Ardbeg Distillery is a Scotch whisky distillery on the south coast of the isle of Islay, Argyll and Bute, Scotland, in the Inner Hebrides group of islands. The distillery claims to produce the peatiest Islay whisky and uses malted barley sourced from the maltings in Port Ellen. It is one of the fastest growing Islay distilleries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardbeg

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

Parkingidiot
  • Parkingidiot
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Nice looking bottle

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

Unltd
  • Unltd
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Ardbeg... hmm.. interesting.. never heard before... but reviews look good.
Don't remember seeing this brand around ... is it very exclusive, expensive?

Ardbeg Distillery is a Scotch whisky distillery on the south coast of the isle of Islay, Argyll and Bute, Scotland, in the Inner Hebrides group of islands. The distillery claims to produce the peatiest Islay whisky and uses malted barley sourced from the maltings in Port Ellen. It is one of the fastest growing Islay distilleries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardbeg

It is good, they are not big on marketing. The Ardbeg Ugadial (maybe wrong spelling) is the best, but even their 10 YO bottles are good.

It is non chill filtered, thus when you add water, it will turn a little cloudy. It's not spoilt.. tongue.gif
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think your on drugs

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

Karu
  • Premium member
    Karu
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Remembered drinking Glencoe Single Malt when I was in Scotland... Best one I ever had. It was velvety smooth & has a sweet note. Could not find this whisky in this part of the world.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

Skunk
  • Skunk
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Jim Beam when i'm out fishing. Good on a hot sunny day.

Ballantines Blended when i'm chilling at night.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

Hermitage
  • Hermitage
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Some of the best whiskies I've had were from Japan. Nikka, Yoichi & Yamazaki amongst others.

No matter where you come from, as long as you are Human...you are an AFRICAN.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

Parkingidiot
  • Parkingidiot
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Hmm.. the Yamazaki is considered the world's best whiskey this year.

http://www.whiskymag...wards/wwa/2011/

World’s Best Single Malt Whisky

Yamazaki 1984

Edited by Parkingidiot, 12 April 2011 - 04:09 PM.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:22 PM

Unltd
  • Unltd
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Hmm.. the Yamazaki is considered the world's best whiskey this year.

http://www.whiskymag...wards/wwa/2011/

World’s Best Single Malt Whisky

Yamazaki 1984

It depends on which magazine and which organization. Whisky is a drink, it really depends on individual tastes. There is no such thing as a best whisky, It is what you like best that matters.

FYI, Yamazaki although called single malt, is actually mixed, but in 1 distillery. Thus technically they call themselves single malts. It is the same for Hakushu. However, Hakushu uses much better water in Japan, the distillery sits where the "purest" water is.

A Yamazaki/Hakushu because of it's blend is actually closer to something like the Johnnie's or Royal Salute than a pure single malt like Maccallan, Glenlivert or Ardbeg.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:28 PM

Parkingidiot
  • Parkingidiot
    6th Gear
    Author Image

looks like I still have a lot to learn...

I started with the blended whiskeys like chivas 12 yr, and black label... but have moved onto single malt Glenfiddich and Glenlivet.
Of course, cost is an issue.

I am still looking for The One that would really hit the spot! wink.gif

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

Skunk
  • Skunk
    6th Gear
    Author Image

looks like I still have a lot to learn...

I started with the blended whiskeys like chivas 12 yr, and black label... but have moved onto single malt Glenfiddich and Glenlivet.
Of course, cost is an issue.

I am still looking for The One that would really hit the spot! wink.gif

to me, Ballantine's and Jim Beam will always be my "best" whiskies....not because they taste the best, afterall, they're mass-market whiskies.

The reason is because whenever i drink them, their taste n aroma brings me back to my late teens, when i couldn't afford better booze.....and it would bring back wonderful memories of yesteryears, growing up with close friends and make me reminisce :)

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Parkingidiot
  • Parkingidiot
    6th Gear
    Author Image

talking about that ... do you guys have any bites or snacks or tid-bits to go with your whiskies?

I can't help but take munchies... but I find the taste of these snacks often overpower the whisky.
What is the best bite to go with a whisky?

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

Greatbirdlegend
  • Greatbirdlegend
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

Skunk
  • Skunk
    6th Gear
    Author Image

talking about that ... do you guys have any bites or snacks or tid-bits to go with your whiskies?

I can't help but take munchies... but I find the taste of these snacks often overpower the whisky.
What is the best bite to go with a whisky?

overpower the whisky? What have u been eating, a decomposing skunk? LOL

whisky has such a high alcoholic content, not easy to overpower it, unless u drink it diluted with coke, soda or too much water.

Usually i drink it almost neat....without ice, coke or whatever, just a few drops of water.

Usually i have some strong stuff to go with it, like smoked herring or veal sausages.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

Mazdaowner
  • Mazdaowner
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Bro. you buay swee lah, start this thread, neber chio me in. No gimme face lah.
Anyway, this is the bottle in my office, just taken, so people cannot say how siao, and yes, that is my hand. laugh.gif
photo.JPG

Kenny Nia & Georgie Pai are MCF's biggest hypocrites:)
The idiot who do unto others first, is a insecure prick. :D

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

Bighappyjer
  • Bighappyjer
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Nikka!

ts - you need an option at the top for Japanese whiskeys.

Edited by Bighappyjer, 12 April 2011 - 05:14 PM.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

Donut
  • Premium member
    Donut
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Anyway, this is the bottle in my office, just taken, so people cannot say how siao, and yes, that is my hand. laugh.gif

your hand looks too small for you leh.....

you know what they say about small hands....... laugh.gif laugh.gif
Jamesc praised this
This is my country, this is my life. This is my people.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:20 PM

Mazdaowner
  • Mazdaowner
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

your hand looks too small for you leh.....

you know what they say about small hands....... laugh.gif laugh.gif

knn, you all damn good imagination lah, big until grossly exaggerated.
I'm just s plain, small size fellow......... sleep.gif
Kenny Nia & Georgie Pai are MCF's biggest hypocrites:)
The idiot who do unto others first, is a insecure prick. :D

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:24 PM

Baphomet
  • Premium member
    Baphomet
    5th Gear
    Author Image

hmn...thats good stuff. How i wish i can have 1 now.. on the rocks..best

Edited by Baphomet, 12 April 2011 - 05:25 PM.

Back to Makan Corner  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Whiskey, Thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users