The Whiskey Thread

Parkingidiot

What's your favourite Whiskey brand(s)?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Whiskey(s) (includes single malts, bourbon, blended, etc)

• Glenfiddich
    • Macallan
    • Glenlivet
    • Highland Park
    • Ballantines
    • Cutty Sark
    • Johnnie Walker
    • Chivas
    • Jim Beam
    • Gentleman Jack
    • Jack Daniels
    • Others
  2. 2. Other Drinks (everything else)

• Beer
    • Tequila
    • Rum
    • Vodka
    • Red Wine
    • White Wine
    • Champagne
    • Cocktails
    • Soft Drinks
    • Water
    • Others

This thread was inspired after MO made me thirsty when he brought up the bottle of Jack in the Why Surf In MCF thread. I feel that Whisky deserves it's own thread... no politics or drink driving issues please... [;)]

I love whiskey or whisky. Just a bit of general knowledge about the drink:

Whisky (Scottish English) or whiskey (Hiberno-English) is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash. Different grains are used for different varieties, including barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, and maize (corn). Whisky is aged in wooden casks, made generally of white oak, except that in the United States corn whiskey need not be aged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky

There are many varieties of whiskey (Single malts, blended, etc). Can read this for an info overload:

http://www.maltmadness.com/malt-whisky/beg...-to-scotch.html

So.. let's discuss the whiskeys (no offence to the beer or wine drinkers - you can always start your own threads).

↡ Advertisement

This thread was inspired after MO made me thirsty when he brought up the bottle of Jack in the Why Surf In MCF thread. I feel that Whisky deserves it's own thread... no politics or drink driving issues please... [;)]

Whisky (Scottish English) or whiskey (Hiberno-English) is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash. Different grains are used for different varieties, including barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, and maize (corn). Whisky is aged in wooden casks, made generally of white oak, except that in the United States corn whiskey need not be aged.

There are many varieties of whiskey (Single malts, blended, etc). Can read this for an info overload:

So.. let's discuss the whiskeys (no offence to the beer or wine drinkers - you can always start your own threads).

You should try Ardbeg.... Really darned good if you like the smokey kinda taste....

You should try Ardbeg.... Really darned good if you like the smokey kinda taste....

Ardbeg... hmm.. interesting.. never heard before... but reviews look good.

Don't remember seeing this brand around ... is it very exclusive, expensive?

Ardbeg Distillery is a Scotch whisky distillery on the south coast of the isle of Islay, Argyll and Bute, Scotland, in the Inner Hebrides group of islands. The distillery claims to produce the peatiest Islay whisky and uses malted barley sourced from the maltings in Port Ellen. It is one of the fastest growing Islay distilleries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardbeg

Ardbeg... hmm.. interesting.. never heard before... but reviews look good.

Don't remember seeing this brand around ... is it very exclusive, expensive?

Ardbeg Distillery is a Scotch whisky distillery on the south coast of the isle of Islay, Argyll and Bute, Scotland, in the Inner Hebrides group of islands. The distillery claims to produce the peatiest Islay whisky and uses malted barley sourced from the maltings in Port Ellen. It is one of the fastest growing Islay distilleries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardbeg

It is good, they are not big on marketing. The Ardbeg Ugadial (maybe wrong spelling) is the best, but even their 10 YO bottles are good.

It is non chill filtered, thus when you add water, it will turn a little cloudy. It's not spoilt.. [:p]

Remembered drinking Glencoe Single Malt when I was in Scotland... Best one I ever had. It was velvety smooth & has a sweet note. Could not find this whisky in this part of the world.

looks like I still have a lot to learn...

I started with the blended whiskeys like chivas 12 yr, and black label... but have moved onto single malt Glenfiddich and Glenlivet.

Of course, cost is an issue.

I am still looking for The One that would really hit the spot! [;)]

looks like I still have a lot to learn...

I started with the blended whiskeys like chivas 12 yr, and black label... but have moved onto single malt Glenfiddich and Glenlivet.

Of course, cost is an issue.

I am still looking for The One that would really hit the spot! [;)]

to me, Ballantine's and Jim Beam will always be my "best" whiskies....not because they taste the best, afterall, they're mass-market whiskies.

The reason is because whenever i drink them, their taste n aroma brings me back to my late teens, when i couldn't afford better booze.....and it would bring back wonderful memories of yesteryears, growing up with close friends and make me reminisce :)

talking about that ... do you guys have any bites or snacks or tid-bits to go with your whiskies?

I can't help but take munchies... but I find the taste of these snacks often overpower the whisky.

What is the best bite to go with a whisky?

talking about that ... do you guys have any bites or snacks or tid-bits to go with your whiskies?

I can't help but take munchies... but I find the taste of these snacks often overpower the whisky.

What is the best bite to go with a whisky?

overpower the whisky? What have u been eating, a decomposing skunk? LOL

whisky has such a high alcoholic content, not easy to overpower it, unless u drink it diluted with coke, soda or too much water.

Usually i drink it almost neat....without ice, coke or whatever, just a few drops of water.

Usually i have some strong stuff to go with it, like smoked herring or veal sausages.

Bro. you buay swee lah, start this thread, neber chio me in. No gimme face lah.

Anyway, this is the bottle in my office, just taken, so people cannot say how siao, and yes, that is my hand. [laugh]

post-11534-1302598968_thumb.jpg

Supercharged

Bro. you buay swee lah, start this thread, neber chio me in. No gimme face lah.

Anyway, this is the bottle in my office, just taken, so people cannot say how siao, and yes, that is my hand. [laugh]

your hand looks too small for you leh.....

you know what they say about small hands....... [laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1