The Whiskey Thread

Parkingidiot

What's your favourite Whiskey brand(s)?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Whiskey(s) (includes single malts, bourbon, blended, etc)

• Glenfiddich
    • Macallan
    • Glenlivet
    • Highland Park
    • Ballantines
    • Cutty Sark
    • Johnnie Walker
    • Chivas
    • Jim Beam
    • Gentleman Jack
    • Jack Daniels
    • Others
  2. 2. Other Drinks (everything else)

• Beer
    • Tequila
    • Rum
    • Vodka
    • Red Wine
    • White Wine
    • Champagne
    • Cocktails
    • Soft Drinks
    • Water
    • Others

yum.. the pairing suggestions sounds great... pork and duck... gotta try that out this weekend.

First I wanna go to Tangs basement and get the bodum double walled glasses that MO suggested.

A pack comes with two. Get two packs, wash, and freeze. Can't go wrong. Careful, Walls very thin, will break easily, I smashed two already [:(]

↡ Advertisement

Seconded.

If the distillers intended for whiskey to be mixed with anything else, they would have done it at the distillery. Its meant to be drunk, full strength, all 40+% of it :D

correction bro. in fact distiller reduce the alcohol % by adding water during distillation process. when the spirit is first made, it is at about 70% and continuous distillation by adding water to reduce down to required percentage. so they do add alot of water. [;)]

btw, the best alcohol proof for consumption is at about 43% to 45% for whisky. it is why ppl love 18yo cos its proof around that region. the reason we r drinking more 40% now is becos distiller want to maximize profit by adding more water to bring down alcohol and free up whisky so they can bottle more to sell.

traditional whiskies like laphroaig & ardbeg are proof at 43% for the basic range. big brands like macallan or glenlivet are driven by commercial reasons to sell at 40% for their 12yo.

the crappiest whisky i had try is singleton. it is a commercial product that was sythetically created to sell as the most easy to drink whisky. just like yamazaki.

yeah... never really appreciated the taste of champagne.. for wines, i prefer the heavy reds myself, but still whisky the drink of choice, followed by beer.

ppl who prefer heavy reds are normally erm.... horny by nature.. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

correction bro. in fact distiller reduce the alcohol % by adding water during distillation process. when the spirit is first made, it is at about 70% and continuous distillation by adding water to reduce down to required percentage. so they do add alot of water. [;)]

btw, the best alcohol proof for consumption is at about 43% to 45% for whisky. it is why ppl love 18yo cos its proof around that region. the reason we r drinking more 40% now is becos distiller want to maximize profit by adding more water to bring down alcohol and free up whisky so they can bottle more to sell.

traditional whiskies like laphroaig & ardbeg are proof at 43% for the basic range. big brands like macallan or glenlivet are driven by commercial reasons to sell at 40% for their 12yo.

the crappiest whisky i had try is singleton. it is a commercial product that was sythetically created to sell as the most easy to drink whisky. just like yamazaki.

wah.. you really know your alcohol... i just drink, hic. [:p]

Noted your clarification but what I did mean was that it was meant to be drunk out of the bottle as the distiller intended and not further diluted or mixed with anything else.

noted on ur pov and drinking preference. :D

however, from my personal observation, many master blender, whisky masters or makers drink their own products by adding water. even when they conduct tasting, they still add a little water to it to release the flavour and nose. thus a whisky is not solely intended for drinking neat. it is also not made that sole purse only. its a matter of individual preference.

as long as you like it in anyway.. it should serve as wat you like. :D

actually u r right from the beginning. whisky r meant for drinking so just drink it.

i am just wondering why am i always paying so much for whisky thus i start to visit distilleries and learn their making process. hoping to justify the cost. keke..

after ive learned more, i end up paying more & more.. [bigcry]

now i've stop collecting. [:p]

If u wana pure then you gotta go for cask whisky, glenlivert nadurra is one of them. Each cask alcohol content is different, so bottle to bottle is different.

It is not for commercial reasons to sell at around 40% proof la, it is pretty much a reasonable standard to drink neat, too high is not recommended to drink neat.

Also the reason why higher aged whiskys are more expensive is not cause it tastes better, it is cause of angels share and the real estate needed to store them for that period.

Yamazaki is not synthetically created, otherwise santori would have ceased ages ago.

Noted your clarification but what I did mean was that it was meant to be drunk out of the bottle as the distiller intended and not further diluted or mixed with anything else.

Whisky was made to be enjoyed, it is not uhmmmm... Meant to be drunk out of the bottle, you need a few drops of water preferably distilled water to crack the whisky and release the flavors.

That would be recommended, also if you want to enjoy the flavors it should not be drunk cold or hot. Room temperature is most suitable, thus ice should not be added.

Whisky was made to be enjoyed, it is not uhmmmm... Meant to be drunk out of the bottle, you need a few drops of water preferably distilled water to crack the whisky and release the flavors.

That would be recommended, also if you want to enjoy the flavors it should not be drunk cold or hot. Room temperature is most suitable, thus ice should not be added.

i agree with your above... but I think room temperature refers to that of the colder climates like scotland, ireland, etc. Thus the room temperature of SG is a tad too warm. In fact, whilst I drink whisky neat - I prefer it a bit colder, than just out of bottle.

So far been experimenting with normal whisky glasses, chilled... or with a couple of bits of ice, though that dilutes the taste.

Next gotta to try the double walled glass to get the chill without the dilution.

Must stock up on the distilled water as well, to try out the suggestion of just adding a few drops to release the flavors.

If u wana pure then you gotta go for cask whisky, glenlivert nadurra is one of them. Each cask alcohol content is different, so bottle to bottle is different.

It is not for commercial reasons to sell at around 40% proof la, it is pretty much a reasonable standard to drink neat, too high is not recommended to drink neat.

Also the reason why higher aged whiskys are more expensive is not cause it tastes better, it is cause of angels share and the real estate needed to store them for that period.

Yamazaki is not synthetically created, otherwise santori would have ceased ages ago.

nice one bro.. good to know ppl that r into whisky too. let's discuss here. :D

suntory is technically not synthetically created but copied. years ago, suntory whiskies are practically unheard of. only consumed by japanese whom will only support their own brands. thus it didnt break from their domestic market. it was not until suntory bought into macallan and bowmore then this brand become more popular. the taste palate begin to tranform from their initial and they took watever they learn from the scottish.

yamazaki is one that is closely resemble to macallan and hakushu profile is somehow cross between bowmore and highland park (owned by macallan).

cask strength is indeed a taste of the actual cask. it varies across.

as for 40% proof, it is indeed for commercial reasons. many years ago, we can get 12yo at 43% now all standard 12yo have turned to 40%. marketers telling you to drink at 40% neat is the best cos it is a marketing pitch. they cannot tell you becos we need to bottle more for profits.

now the trend begins to switch from 12yo to no aged statement. why? becos liquid not enough again.

12yrs ago, they do not foresee the surge in demand. now they cooking another story of whisky is all about the cask, rather than age. it is all for commercial reason. sounds like pap? [laugh]

as for older expression whiskies, angel share's is indeed happening but overhype. why? cos when whisky maker will determine the best profile from respective cask. once the maximum has been achieved, they will keep these "vintage" whiskies in glass bottle and not allow it to age anymore. cos anymore ageing will change the whisky profile.

again, angel's share is something they want you to believe to make their product more precious. their climate over their does not evaporate as much like our weather here. when things gets out of hand, they recask and keep the liquid in air tied glass bottles. to prevent further evaporation.

as for storage, if you ever been to a distillery, their actual warehousing is similiar to our hdb flats. cask are kept in these warehousing. those old and small storage they show you in tours are like for "tour" purposes. space is never a problem in their country and air-con is free. :D

need to add on a point on too high alcohol content is not suitable for drinking neat..

in fact, most older whiskies are of much higher alcohol % and they are consumed neat. example: macallan lalique series which are around 50yo and way over 48%.

everyone will drink neat including myself cos too expensive to add water.. lol..

How one drinks whiskey is a very very personal thing, neat or on the rocks.

I never let too much specifics clog up my mind, when it comes to whiskey, who cares what the

so called experts say, who cares what others think. I like mine chilled, in a double walled glass,

no ice, no sh.it, NEAT as NEAT can be. And on the topic, damn all of you farkers in this thread.

All the talk, reading and thinking about it in the gym....look, yes, LOOK, what's happened to that bottle...

I ABUSED IT! kekekekeke........8 shots in one go...man....FELT SOOOOOO GOOOOODDD!!

I slept like a rock, and NOT on the rocks. :D :D

post-11534-1302660337_thumb.jpg

i agree with your above... but I think room temperature refers to that of the colder climates like scotland, ireland, etc. Thus the room temperature of SG is a tad too warm. In fact, whilst I drink whisky neat - I prefer it a bit colder, than just out of bottle.

So far been experimenting with normal whisky glasses, chilled... or with a couple of bits of ice, though that dilutes the taste.

Next gotta to try the double walled glass to get the chill without the dilution.

Must stock up on the distilled water as well, to try out the suggestion of just adding a few drops to release the flavors.

How one drinks whiskey is a very very personal thing, neat or on the rocks.

I never let too much specifics clog up my mind, when it comes to whiskey, who cares what the

so called experts say, who cares what others think. I like mine chilled, in a double walled glass,

no ice, no sh.it, NEAT as NEAT can be. And on the topic, damn all of you farkers in this thread.

All the talk, reading and thinking about it in the gym....look, yes, LOOK, what's happened to that bottle...

I ABUSED IT! kekekekeke........8 shots in one go...man....FELT SOOOOOO GOOOOODDD!!

I slept like a rock, and NOT on the rocks. :D :D

haha way to go bro!! [laugh]

haha way to go bro!! [laugh]

Got one bottle coming in tonight....son coming back from overseas. Wahahahahaha!!! I shall build my Empire out of WHSKEY bottles!! Wahahahaha!

[laugh] [laugh] Before CNY, I brought a bottle of GJ back home, sons took it up, put on the floor, standing, it all of a sudden just fall sideways, nothing pushed it, whole floor covered in whiskey...(wasted, can smell cannot drink, had to keep my cats away, if not later get mabok cats) guess the God of the floor wanted some and more. One good bottle gone. [bigcry] [bigcry]

↡ Advertisement