Why Do Most Premium/Exotic Cars Have High Maintenance?

Mona-vie

I am just wondering why premium cars like BMW/Merc etc have such high maintenance cost compared to mainstream brands. Then more exotic ones like Audi S5 or Porsche etc even higher. I am just thinking if these cars are built to be durable and reliable, why is the maintenance so expensive? Even premium engine oils don't cost that much and you don't change oil even 2-3K for such cars right?

Of course, one reason is due to premium charges. Eg. agents like PML may charge you $600 or more for a new batt for your BMW but if you know where to get the batt, even a Varta Silver Dynamic batt cost much less than that.

Another reason is that such cars may not be actually that reliable...... I have my experience with old BMW e36 and e39 cars. I feel they are not exactly durable compared to Jap cars (of that time).

Many parts like radiator, water pump, bushings etc do not have long lifetime. After a certain mileage must change already.

I also read that the old Porsche 944 is not exactly reliable and has very high maintenance cost, causing many people to give up their 944s after sometime.

thus, if these cars cost alot more than mainstream cars, shouldn't they be more reliable and durable and hence cost less to maintain in the long run?

↡ Advertisement

I am just wondering why premium cars like BMW/Merc etc have such high maintenance cost compared to mainstream brands. Then more exotic ones like Audi S5 or Porsche etc even higher. I am just thinking if these cars are built to be durable and reliable, why is the maintenance so expensive? Even premium engine oils don't cost that much and you don't change oil even 2-3K for such cars right?

Of course, one reason is due to premium charges. Eg. agents like PML may charge you $600 or more for a new batt for your BMW but if you know where to get the batt, even a Varta Silver Dynamic batt cost much less than that.

Another reason is that such cars may not be actually that reliable...... I have my experience with old BMW e36 and e39 cars. I feel they are not exactly durable compared to Jap cars (of that time).

Many parts like radiator, water pump, bushings etc do not have long lifetime. After a certain mileage must change already.

I also read that the old Porsche 944 is not exactly reliable and has very high maintenance cost, causing many people to give up their 944s after sometime.

thus, if these cars cost alot more than mainstream cars, shouldn't they be more reliable and durable and hence cost less to maintain in the long run?

canot use jap car vs conti car to compare

if u 're buying a conti car, just be prepared that it actually doesn't have the reliability of a vios or Suzuki .

the wear and tear are usually faster compare to jap car.. it's main reasons are the components used some are recycle stuff .

metal vs metal ..japs car are more durable as in overall.

buy a conti car just be prepared to pay for higher maintenance ..earlier breakdowns..or prepared to leave it for few days for repaired etc .

I thought BMW and Merc are reliable. My friend's Camry is giving him alot of problem so does my Mitsubishi.

You are comparing Conti premium vs Japanese B&B cars.

You should compare Conti B&B (e.g. VW, or Skoda) vs Japanese B&B cars (Toyota & Mitsubishi, as you had quoted).

From that standpoint, the CMI-reliability of VW and Skoda sucks even more big time than the Japanese B&Bs!!!

not to mention in terms of performance.

japanese cars own.

unless u talking about ferarri, lambo and the likes.

heck even a full tuned GTR can win a fully tuned lambo.

if u 're buying a conti car, just be prepared that it actually doesn't have the reliability of a vios or Suzuki .

the wear and tear are usually faster compare to jap car.. it's main reasons are the components used some are recycle stuff .

buy a conti car just be prepared to pay for higher maintenance ..earlier breakdowns..or prepared to leave it for few days for repaired etc .

Do you even know what you are saying?!

Maintenance higher, but you have to look at the service intervals. KM makes me go back every 10k, while VW makes them go back every 15k, and a certain BMW make has service intervals of 22+k km!

So if you were to divide it out, of course per servicing Conti cars may be more expensive, but if you compare in terms of cost per mileage driven, Jap cars ain't that cheap either!

not to mention in terms of performance.

japanese cars own.

unless u talking about ferarri, lambo and the likes.

heck even a full tuned GTR can win a fully tuned lambo.

Of course can... a top-notch driver in the GTR and an average driver in the Lambo.

No guessing who will win :D

Conti cars less reliable? U must be joking!! U think Europeans dont travel great distances and go through lots of congested city traffic?? U think Europe doesn't go through harsh weather conditions??

People who want to own contis but so ngiao and want to stinge on servicing and upkeeping, dont be surprised when parts of your car start giving up after only a couple of years [:p]

the wear and tear are usually faster compare to jap car.. main reasons are the components used some are recycle stuff .

U sure u know what are u talking abt??? :blink: Geezzz....

Performance cars need more attention when it comes to maintenance & servicing, that's all...I remember some1 mentioned b4 : owning a performance car, it's like a competitive sprinter. We all know the impt of warming up & down when exercise, but sometimes we r juz lazy, forget or cant b bothered cuz we know, even if we do exercise w/o warming up & down, it won't kill...at most some days of muscle ache. But.... If a competitive sprinter, take on a race w/o warming up & down, the damage to his/her muscle can be much worse..and the tendency of them spraint their legs will be so much more freq...

Well still, it's juz my 2 cents worth...

Turbocharged

I thought BMW and Merc are reliable. My friend's Camry is giving him alot of problem so does my Mitsubishi.

Curious what problems your Mit is giving you?

Conti cars less reliable? U must be joking!! U think Europeans dont travel great distances and go through lots of congested city traffic?? U think Europe doesn't go through harsh weather conditions??

People who want to own contis but so ngiao and want to stinge on servicing and upkeeping, dont be surprised when parts of your car start giving up after only a couple of years [:p]

Er, no lor, i service my BMW at PML every 10-12K.

Yet the car locked me in one fine day.

Lucky still can drive.

Drive straight to PML.

1 month after warranty expired, my valvetronic motor ki chia. Cost me another couple of grand.

Damn irritating leh..

becos whenever i go workshop, they will say...you car is premium one...use premium parts....so expensive...you think you driving jap car meh...knn

becos whenever i go workshop, they will say...you car is premium one...use premium parts....so expensive...you think you driving jap car meh...knn

Cost is one thing bro, reliability is another.

Damn irritating lor, esp when you are busy..

No doubt the maintenance higher cost, but kena locked in the car, i get the feel that the car like not very safe like that.

Was considering the new 5 but held back cos of the crazy low OMV and of course, reliability issues..

Wife likes the RX 450H, but the steering no feel one.. very weird..

Maybe the Audi A6..

Neutral Newbie

last time longbang a merc half way the electronic short circuit car lights on off then dead on road, heng after rest 1-2 min still can restart & go

no,i dont think BMW are expensive to keep. having own 4 bmw and 2 merc, currently with lexus. they are all on par

Not really a fair comment. If your pocket is thick, even a ferrari is not expensive.