A sign the battery is failing?

Matrixx

I've a 7" DVD player in my car, and it has worked very well so far. One thing I noticed just these 2-3 days when I was driving is that the screen will occasionally slightly dim, then go back to the original brightness.

Is this a sign that the car battery is failing? My present car battery has been in used for about 14 months. No problems with starting the car in the morning as well.

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Personally, I noticed the following prior to e battery dead on me one afternn where I was unable to start the car :

1. The car alarm took more tries b4 it worked to lock/unlock

2. The radio/cd function had more "statics" or occasionally higher volume

Even though e mechanic after each servicing said battery still "ok", it went dead one afternn just like sudden death finally claiming its victim...and the battery had no chance.

Best to check + seriously, even when it woke up e engine fine every am, death can b sudden so, nt worth e delay unless one is parked nxt to a ws or place where a spare battery can b bought readily otherwise can cost 20-30 bucks more for e mobile service on top of brand new battery price.

Cheers

• Praise 1

Twincharged

I've a 7" DVD player in my car, and it has worked very well so far. One thing I noticed just these 2-3 days when I was driving is that the screen will occasionally slightly dim, then go back to the original brightness.

Is this a sign that the car battery is failing? My present car battery has been in used for about 14 months. No problems with starting the car in the morning as well.

DVD player,use very little current,cannot be your battery,maybe something wrong with your DVD player.?

the moment the car is running..all the electrical supply is from the alternator..

the battery will only be used during the initial cranking..or when u on all the various electrical gadgets in the car with the engine off.

(edited)

Sometimes it's the wiring to the power source .. I have an aftermarket HU which is wired to the fusebox to tap power. There was once the wire came loose and the HU kept going off and on. Went back to the shop and they tightened the wiring, 5 mins job.

Edited by Count_duku

Personally, I noticed the following prior to e battery dead on me one afternn where I was unable to start the car :

1. The car alarm took more tries b4 it worked to lock/unlock

2. The radio/cd function had more "statics" or occasionally higher volume

Even though e mechanic after each servicing said battery still "ok", it went dead one afternn just like sudden death finally claiming its victim...and the battery had no chance.

Best to check + seriously, even when it woke up e engine fine every am, death can b sudden so, nt worth e delay unless one is parked nxt to a ws or place where a spare battery can b bought readily otherwise can cost 20-30 bucks more for e mobile service on top of brand new battery price.

Cheers

A battery cannot be working fine every morning and suddenly goes dead. While I do not know of other "symtptoms" like what you described in 1. and 2., the most obvious symptom of a battery dying is the cranking in the morning. A healthy battery will kick to life with a short crank whereas one that is dying will take a long crank or even "coughing" before it starts. I don't know how your mechanic certify that your battery was still "ok", but the best way is to use a proper metre (dun know the name of it) to test.

sounds like sudden surge of demand for electric supply from some other electrical component (eg aircon compressor). Once the car is started, the electicity supply is taken over by alternator. A capacitor should be able to solve the problem is a correct capacitor is used.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

For me, a basic symptoms is a slow weaker cracking sound. I encounter this for a week before my 2 and a half years battery died.

Edited by Davetan86

Check this device out and it's CCP program. The desulphation itself will prolong the life of the battery and prevent sudden death syndrome.

if you are worried, you better get it changed immediately or keep a spare battery inside your car boot.

sometimes, such instinct is somehow correct.

not worth saving for another few days/weeks more and got to spend towing fee for a battery replacement.

my 2cents worth. =p

I had battery died on me before at carpark. -_-

The tell tale sign is: difficulty in cranking up the car, especially after prolong parking. Very obvious, cannot be missed.

Supersonic

A battery cannot be working fine every morning and suddenly goes dead. While I do not know of other "symtptoms" like what you described in 1. and 2., the most obvious symptom of a battery dying is the cranking in the morning. A healthy battery will kick to life with a short crank whereas one that is dying will take a long crank or even "coughing" before it starts. I don't know how your mechanic certify that your battery was still "ok", but the best way is to use a proper metre (dun know the name of it) to test.

I've changed many batteries, and yes, battery do suddenly go dead the next morning; based on some owner's word.

Most people are lucky that they get symptoms of harder to crank, some don't.

I guess those that don't get symptoms have a lighter engine/starter motor load.

So they don't feel the symptoms until the battery is suddenly dead.

I use 2 tools for checking battery, a analog load tester and digital conductance tester.

I find the digital tester is much more reliable. It can tell you if the battery is at the end of life, while the load tester may tell you the same battery is still "good".

The load tester just shows the voltage under a fix load and that voltage equates to Good, Weak or Bad.

Neutral Newbie

For me, a basic symptoms is a slow weaker cracking sound. I encounter this for a week before my 2 and a half years battery died.

yes yes, hap to my latio once, the usual twist ignite is smooth but coming to flat batt can hear the ignite is different sound, 1-2 days more the crank will never start anymore

u should get it checked....I felt my engine ignition weak when i start my car recently so went to this wrkshop in Toh Guan to chk.

They have this batt life digital gauge to measure....True enuff, mine left with abt 30%....

This very simple hydrometer that measure the battery diluted sulphric acid specific gravity is the most accurate tester but to most car owners and young mech this is a old fashion tester. Most of the professional mech still use battery hydrometer to final confirm the result from induction or high discharge tester.

post-272-1305161005_thumb.jpg

post-272-1305161021_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement