A sign the battery is failing?

Matrixx

Usually for non-maintenance-free battery, there are 6 capped holes at the top. Remove the caps and crank the engine. If one hole got less bubbles emitted then others, budget to buy replacement battery. Nothing much can help.

Ya the charging process wil produce small bubbles after awhile but that not very accurate.

Get the battery shop to use a hydrometer to check the condition of each cell. More accurate.

Anyway as long as 1 cell is not good, it wil affect the power of the whole battery as each cell is 2 volts, so might as well get it replaced asap.

Sometimes it can b saved using a desulphator but most battery shops wil not do this fr u cos it wil mean ty dont get to sell u a new battery. [:p]

↡ Advertisement

When my car batt went flat about 3 yrs ago, there was no early warning signs. Was driving from Tampines to Bukit Batok tyre shop, no problems. When the tyre mech tried to start, the car cannot even crank at all. At that time, I was very "suspicious" and do not wish to change battery with the tyre shop. Had to pay S$10 for battery starting service, on top of the tyre balance/rotate service. I am not sure, is there any "method" for workshop to "spoil/flatten" the battery instantly ?

Some dishonest battery shops wil short yr + & - terminals when u not looking. Then yr battery become useless.

I always stand there n look closely at what ty doing so ty hv less chance to do hanky-panky.

maybe he drove your car up the jack, then he off ur engine without changing ur gear to park. thus cannot crank and cannot start ?

Hahaha. Ya possible. [nod]

Maybe I am not a high-value customer, not buying tyres/sport rims, ordinary car, still want high-speed balancing ? Not worth their efforts ?

I went JB the shop at Southern City Mall, I think its Moffiz or something. (the malay mech who a bit young ) dont even want to take time to balance my tires. He say no time unless I buy some new tires fm him. [furious]

But he maybe not too happy wh me cos last time I enquired on changing my 4 shocks there but his prices even higher than in SG. [sweatdrop]

In some cars/battery combination, they experience weak cranking and thus they know when the battery is failing.

In others, no such warning. Battery just "fail" on the next crank.

A good rule of thumb is when your battery reached 2 yrs (some don't), get it checked or changed.

Usually, by that time, the battery is near end of life.

1 thing I do notice when my battery is getting weak is at night when I use the turn indicators, the dash lights wil dim as the indicator bulb flashes. [idea]

my last amazon last me 3 years but had it changed last two week cos when parking downstair on my hazard light for 5 minutes, when trying to start car, have to start twice to got is done. Then went to my mech...say battery going to up lorry soon...test with his meter..indicated weak...on the car the battery was at good..thus battery power cant store much..lucky not alternater up lorry...

As the battery ages, it loses its abality to hold a good charge. Leave the lights or flashers on with engine off(no alternator charging) n it drains the little power left in e battery very fast. :wacko:

In Reply To Yeobh

That's why i said you don't know better shut-up !

If the alternator work well, it'll still power-up all the electronics gauges of car (s) even the car battery terminal (s) is disconnetced after engine run. (This is the simplest way of testing the car alternator condition)

Always remember that our car battery was meant for "STARTING", "LIGHTING" & "IGNITION" purposes (We called it "SLI" in technical terms) and our car battery was act as the "DC Power Source Reservoir" (Also known as "Storage Battery").

Unlike AC Power Source that could be found in Hybrid cars such as "LEXUS RX400h", "Honda Insigh" & "Toyota Puris" that run on AC generator when travel of flat ground / roads. Are you clear now ??

Dont b angry but YeoBH is a very old n experienced kaki who has lots of car knowledge n is in this line fr many years.

His advice is always reliable. [thumbsup]

Stay with Amaron. Bosch is not that good either.

One workshop owner I know is so pissed with Bosch (due to short life) that he switched his entire battery stock to Motolite.

Motolite is made in MY e last time I checked. [sweatdrop]

Thanks for your help and understanding. I hope all of us who have sufficient car technology infos should help to remove as many BS kings from this forum so that those who seek help will not be directed to the MRT tracks or burn a big hole in their pockets.

Through this simple action , I hope we will make this an enjoyable forum and a place where one can seek help to solve their cars and even personal problems [:)]

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

1 thing I do notice when my battery is getting weak is at night when I use the turn indicators, the dash lights wil dim as the indicator bulb flashes. [idea]

[wave] hi sir good morning!!!

my previous batt... no signs watsoever of weaking (9months old).... morning i crank started go work.... parked and tried to start 1-2hours later battery just died.... didnt show anysigns of failing...

changed a new Amaron with AA and got 18months warrnty... this happened a few days before the PH trip..... checked alternator all was ok...

realised that my alarm was faulty and signal light one side was one like whole night sometimes so the drain weaken my batt's strength and life... soon it was at the brim of dying and with poor power capacity storage strength it died a sudden death... according to the mech...

actually i seriously believe that a batt even if its dead/dying... and only abt a year old, can be charged up to working condition again... maybe not as good as brand new but surely cant be totally useless after only a year?... cause i have used amaron for 2years + still going strong... but changed for ease of mind

my previous batt... no signs watsoever of weaking (9months old).... morning i crank started go work.... parked and tried to start 1-2hours later battery just died.... didnt show anysigns of failing...

changed a new Amaron with AA and got 18months warrnty... this happened a few days before the PH trip..... checked alternator all was ok...

realised that my alarm was faulty and signal light one side was one like whole night sometimes so the drain weaken my batt's strength and life... soon it was at the brim of dying and with poor power capacity storage strength it died a sudden death... according to the mech...

actually i seriously believe that a batt even if its dead/dying... and only abt a year old, can be charged up to working condition again... maybe not as good as brand new but surely cant be totally useless after only a year?... cause i have used amaron for 2years + still going strong... but changed for ease of mind

Time to change your car lah !!

Good morning to u too sir. [wave]

Sometimes there is no warning to flat battery. Cud b due to some elect equip shorting n drain battery when u park.

I suspect some of yr mods not properly done so there is a elect short which is causing battery drain.

Amaron is good last time I bought but now I using Global(fm Eng Wah) n another Korean brand also fm Korea(Fm 5oh Bros). Not bad as ty usually last me abt 3 yrs b4 need to change.

The best way to check battery condition is wh hydrometer(non-MF battery only) or multi-meter wh MF battery. Some battery can b brought back to life using a desulphator but most battery shop wont do it fr u cos ty wil lose a sale.

Good morning to u too sir. [wave]

Sometimes there is no warning to flat battery. Cud b due to some elect equip shorting n drain battery when u park.

I suspect some of yr mods not properly done so there is a elect short which is causing battery drain.

Amaron is good last time I bought but now I using Global(fm Eng Wah) n another Korean brand also fm Korea(Fm 5oh Bros). Not bad as ty usually last me abt 3 yrs b4 need to change.

The best way to check battery condition is wh hydrometer(non-MF battery only) or multi-meter wh MF battery. Some battery can b brought back to life using a desulphator but most battery shop wont do it fr u cos ty wil lose a sale.

yah yah i tink so too... too many power draining stuff...

actually my work place my boss has a battery charger for his bikes... wonder if strong enuf to use to charge my car batt

yah yah i tink so too... too many power draining stuff...

actually my work place my boss has a battery charger for his bikes... wonder if strong enuf to use to charge my car batt

Just make sure its fr 12v as bikes mostly r 6v only.

Also u must know how to charge yr battery. Must open the caps on top to let e gas escape n top-up battery water b4 u start to charge. Do it wrong n the battery might explode. [shocked]

But if yr battery needs extra charging, something is already wrong wh yr battery, alternator or wiring.

I think it seems more likely u electrical system has some shorting or poor connections issues. These wil drain yr battery faster than normal. [nod]

If it's a 12v battery charger, you can use to charge yr car battery but will takes many hours/ days before yr battery is fully charged up. Most m/cycle battery charger output is probably not more than 0.5 amp, therefore this charger is good only as trickle charge for vehicle batteries.

If you have the time, this excercise will be very beneficial to yr battery health. Fast charging generates unnecassary heat and therefore is bad for the battery plates and overtime will destroy the battery current storage ability.

Edited by Yeobh

If it's a 12v battery charger, you can use to charge yr car battery but will takes many hours/ days before yr battery is fully charged up. Most m/cycle battery charger output is probably not more than 0.5 amp, therefore this charger is good only as trickle charge for vehicle batteries.

If you have the time, this excercise will be very beneficial to yr battery health. Fast charging generates unnecassary heat and therefore is bad for the battery plates and overtime will destroy the battery current storage ability.

Even after being fully charged, the battery might or might not hold the charge depending on its condition.

↡ Advertisement