Lim Swee Say Gotta Work Cheaper, Better, Faster

Gendut

i hope our new HDB can be cheaper, better and build faster too

Better... errr... maybe ...

Faster ... errr ... they are trying to shorten the construction time ....

Cheaper... errr.... dan ku ku :D

ok lah, maybe with all the "discounts" for first timers ...

KNN, a lot of sound bites, but nothing substantial.

given this revelation...
http://statestimesreview.com/2016/11/03/china-successfully-plot-singapore-into-recession/

what are they going to do about it?!?

eh... million dollar salary fella, chor kang leh. your boss (me, one of the many tax payers) is waiting for a report on what your short terms milestones are, the mid-term actions and the long term plans to counter or negate the actions taken by them!

i am still waiting!

• Praise 2

"if we ever allow our cheaper competitors to become better than us, one day, they will be cheaper and better than us. Likewise, if we ever allow our better competitors to become cheaper than us, one day, they will be better and cheaper than us." Lim Swee say say.

allow me to digest first.. maybe in layman words...

one day, if a cheaply made handphone is better than the handphone i make, it will be cheaper and better than my handphone.

likewise, if an expensively made handphone become cheaper than the handphone i make, it will be better and cheaper than my handphone....

wow... i really dont know what to say... :XD::XD::XD:

I don't know what you are talking about.

But I decide to fully agree with you.

Our wages are high. Only can improve productivity. 
In terms of manufacturing, it's impossible. So unless we are more innovative and more efficient than the copycats coming up, GG.

More efficient in services? Easier said then done.

At least in manufacturing, the processes to improve efficiency and productivity are more clearcut.

• Praise 1

Better... errr... maybe ...

Faster ... errr ... they are trying to shorten the construction time ....

Cheaper... errr.... dan ku ku :D

ok lah, maybe with all the "discounts" for first timers ...

earlier this week my nephew selected unit for BTO.  waiting time 6 years  [sleeping]

earlier this week my nephew selected unit for BTO.  waiting time 6 years  [sleeping]

The site not cleared off yet?

The last BTO with such long waiting time i heard of was the Duxton. Mine was 3 years.

Only the dawson ones took 4 yrs during my time.

Some sites extended to 4yrs few years ago when they had the massive BTO release.

Edited by Lala81

Let's look at the productivity across industry (source from singstat) here:

post-100773-0-19758700-1478228032_thumb.png

As you can see, construction and food services are the worst contributor to the nation's productivity, while finance is the best. I can understand why finance is best because that industry competes globally. For construction and food services, shall we make a guess why the productivity is low? There are masses of foreign talents across finance and construction/food services, but why their productiveness so different?

I have seen in Munich where only 2 men are needed to plant approximately 10 lamp posts along the road. They used a heavily modified truck to achieve this. I bet the salary of that 2 men is high, but their productivity was great.

Compare this with our Singaporean way of doing the same work. There will definitely be 2 men manning each end of the road for traffic, a driver for the truck, a driver for the forklift, and some men trying to "steer" the lamp posts into the various holes. There will always be another 1 or 2 eyeing the whole process. I bet the salary of these men are low, but their productivity poor as compared to the Munich team. Our MTI rightly measures hours spent in the productivity equation, and I also bet we spent more collective hours here.

Why do Singaporean companies reluctant to embrace technology to improve productivity? You know the answer and I will leave it here.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 4

you raider of the singapore reserves

-_-

They say HDB is reasonably-priced as land is expensive in Singapore.

But,

"Have you ever wondered, why must we serve? This is because we LOVE our land and we want it to be FREE,to be FREE!"

Hence, land in Sgp should be at no cost to her citizens.

This has been debated before many times

Minister job is very different from peasant job

It can be better but cannot be cheaper cos Singapore will be in ruins

For other not so important job, we should be cheaper

yeah! but when there's an issue each time, they will create a new section, department, organization headed by 10 directors, 9 mangers, 8 supervisors whom oledi  taken up >100% of the budgets assigned.  then coming up with million dollars solutions, and still engaging 100s thousands$ angmos consultants and designers etc.

finally outsourced to local contractors and subcontracted to blangahs and annehs to finish the job!

kns

• Praise 1

"Have you ever wondered, why must we serve? This is because we LOVE our land and we want it to be FREE,to be FREE!"

That sounds like a song I sang many years ago  [laugh]

• Praise 8

I will do my bit to improve productivity.

I will be posting more jokes everyday.

:D

Erh... That's like running faster on the treadmill.  There is a limit how many you can post a day.

You have to make more people read/laugh with the same number of jokes! [:)]

• Praise 3

KNN, a lot of sound bites, but nothing substantial.

given this revelation...

http://statestimesreview.com/2016/11/03/china-successfully-plot-singapore-into-recession/

what are they going to do about it?!?

eh... million dollar salary fella, chor kang leh. your boss (me, one of the many tax payers) is waiting for a report on what your short terms milestones are, the mid-term actions and the long term plans to counter or negate the actions taken by them!

i am still waiting!

Report like china want to annexe Sinkapore.......

MIW scratching their heads..... but what can they do???, give up n go back to their civilian posts???     

• Praise 2

yeah! but when there's an issue each time, they will create a new section, department, organization headed by 10 directors, 9 mangers, 8 supervisors whom oledi  taken up >100% of the budgets assigned.  then coming up with million dollars solutions, and still engaging 100s thousands$ angmos consultants and designers etc.

finally outsourced to local contractors and subcontracted to blangahs and annehs to finish the job!

kns

For some reason, your post reminded me of of the 880K rubbish bin :a-m1524:

• Praise 3

Report like china want to annexe Sinkapore.......

MIW scratching their heads..... but what can they do???, give up n go back to their civilian posts???     

KNN, scratch heads?

they are paid millions to think!

if not pay them for what?

i expect them to lay out plans to see how to bring in new revenues, how to encourage other trades if traditional trades like shipping is no longer viable, or how to navigate the economy to a new trade that does not rely on traditional sea route... or something liddat.

you know, maciam like an amazon for SG that does the middle man work for delivering stuff to people, or to work on knowledge based services that does business online that will translate to logistical demand for delivery of physical stuff that people consume thru online services... etc etc

not this we-must-make-sure-our-competition-does-not-become-cheaper-than-s kinda shit!

even if we were to go with his rhetoric, how is he going to make SG fight competition? increase productivity? how? deploy more robots? deploy more automation? at which industry? at which level of the workforce?

dun just give sound bites. provide a roadmap! sheez~!

and i am not even paid $10k a year. these guys really need to up their socks and start to show they deserve their fugging pay siah!

Hence, land in Sgp should be at no cost to her citizens.

more like we SGreans must make SG free to the world while SGreans bear the cost of providing free service.

legs open liow, who wants a piece of this old fart?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2