Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic | 16 praises

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

Quantum
  • Quantum
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi all,
Hunting 2nd car, as the topic, kindly feedback in term of FC, power, reliability, etc

Edited by Quantum, 16 May 2011 - 04:50 PM.

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

Nesh
  • Nesh
    Neutral Newbie
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

face lift, new door latch,more aero dynamic, but the old version was found more worth paying the moolah as it was a bigger car by exterior compared to the magnum

I have the older version, my inlaws have the magnum version.

In terms of driving experience, no difference.

for mods, both have plenty of options that make this a very powerful and stable car in the 1.6 arena.

Yet to hear of a fatal accident or turning turtle.

Fastest speed achieved on non-magnum : 190km/h straight road Malaysia North/South highway, highway turnings : 170Km/h. Stable and in absolute control.

Old Optra : mods : Koni Springs, Apexi intake, Air charger. calipers,
(All rights reserved
Anesh

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

Patsy
  • Patsy
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Hi I have a chevrolet Optra from Nov 2006 for sale. It is a one owner car, free from accident, low mileage, original paint, black colour, super salon car with sport rim and full body kit. If you are interested to view, please contact me at 90600582.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Russell1
  • Russell1
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Thanks for your post.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

Kwanheng
  • Kwanheng
    Banned

Bad FC in sg, good FC on NSH.

Good Cornering at 120km/h,

Heavy Body, stable.

Cruise on NSH at 160km/h
This is what happens when you do not follow Law :signature guidelines]

chery hafei geely chevy.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

Pokkadotus
  • Pokkadotus
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Hi, i'm considering buying a 6 year old optra but was concern about the maintainence as its an old car. I was advised on buying a Japanese make car but I dont have the budget for it. Can I get some advice on this? Thanks guys smile.gif

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Kwanheng
  • Kwanheng
    Banned

Hi, i'm considering buying a 6 year old optra but was concern about the maintainence as its an old car. I was advised on buying a Japanese make car but I dont have the budget for it. Can I get some advice on this? Thanks guys smile.gif

when buying old cars, get rdy to pay 1k + 2k for repairs. unless you wish it will break down for 4k repairs on the first year of owner ship

also so sorry, no $$ better don't drive.

eg, 3 years ago insurence was 1.4k followed by, 1.8k, 2.2k, NEXT year 2.8K

Edited by Kwanheng, 05 June 2012 - 02:52 PM.

This is what happens when you do not follow Law :signature guidelines]

chery hafei geely chevy.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:16 AM

Eng40765
  • Eng40765
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Bad FC in sg, good FC on NSH

Actually, every car also has better FC when cruising, the point is which has better FC on average.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

Gearosv2
  • Premium member
    Gearosv2
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Driving a manual 1.6 07 Optra Estate.

FC department
FC is bad but like Kwanheng mentioned, HW is good.

Getting less than 10km/L on 40/60 with morning traffic but ~11km/L at times when i travel 10/90 during the weekends.

Handling department
Car is very stable due to the near 1.2 tone weight. I also think that it is due to the MacPherson struct that the car is using.

Actually, better to test the car yourself. As our driving is not the same as your driving.

Built department
Do the keychain test on the roof... you will be surprise to hear a soft landing sound compared to tin can japanese car.. haha... so heavy rain, no problem.

cabin space is big...

Power department
power is subjective... haha... typical NA 1.6 power band is around 3-4k. Dun expect anything from 1-3k as the car is heavy. Of course there are mod to make the 1-3k a bit more responsive but i think no much gain...

It was mentioned by others that the Estate gearbox is much better ratio than the sedan one...

Mod department
Limited by a few brands... not as much things. I still can't find camber kit... haha... and all the coilover (GAB, BC) uses the stock shock mount for the front and not using pillows top from the c/o.

Engine got potential to tune up to almost 1.8L power. If all the items and tuning are done properly.

Maintenance department
Not as cheap as I tot. My previous E36 OEM parts are relatively cheaper. :(

Bottom line
I think this is the lowest depre car in the market considering at it's class. Dun expect much from Althis/Jazz-like FC. Good to own until COE comes down. If you dun need the space... go for any 1L COE car... save the money for later... haha

my 2-cent.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:27 AM

Mickkiee
  • Mickkiee
    Banned

Am, also planning to buy my 2nd car for my wife. :) .. Didn't decide with any models yet. Planning for Ford :|

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

Memphis1972
  • Memphis1972
    Clutched
    Author Image

ford? goodluck

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

Roboflame
  • Roboflame
    Banned

Ford :)

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Icedbs
  • Icedbs
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I had this car for like 6 years.

My first impression is that the car is extremely robust and reliable. I have trashed the car, but it just do not know how to say die.

Infact, there is a time I was driving with radiator empty for 2 months.....and it feels like nothing happened.

Handling wise very good .....I can say that it matches the handling of most conti cars.

FC very poor.......1.6 engine but uses fuel like it is a 2L. But FC ranks quite low in my priority.

Overall, good car to drive......I miss it very much.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Panthera
  • Panthera
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

i bought chevy optra back in 2007, now average about 18km/l. Overall wonderful ride.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

octeobd2
  • octeobd2
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I bought a Chevrolet OPTRA early in 2006, Chevrolet brand cars in the first paragraph of 2.0 liters midsize car, Optra sedan in addition to the general four models, the other also introduced five models of Wagon

Wear other's shoes, walk on my way...

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:11 AM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

i bought chevy optra back in 2007, now average about 18km/l. Overall wonderful ride.

WOW yr FC 18km/lit is very good. Is it mostly on hways?

I drive the Estate auto n average is only 14km/lit. And this is already considered as very good. Most optras getting abt 10km/lit only.

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:32 AM

bambind
  • Premium member
    bambind
    Clutched
    Author Image

i agreed with the bro's out there that the optra was a sweet ride but my consumption was abt 9km/L but for bros intend to purchase 2nd hand to note:

1. fuel tank is 60L not the 50L found on most 1.6cc car
  2. check the rpm meter to ensure stablity as i noted alot of our rides have to replaced the throtte body

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

Penn1
  • Penn1
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Optra is my first car. Good build. Stability is good for a 1.6L car. Space offered was good. My FC was good...about 12km/L in Singapore. It's a manual though. Heard lots of crap about auto Optra. Anyway, this model obsolete liao. anyone want to get optra better think twice.

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:43 PM

Victor68
  • Victor68
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I chance upon this and the last input was Dec 2013. Nevertheless, there are still some old optra around. I drove one for 5 years and I bought it new.

Fuel efficiency is around 9-10 km/l at most. I would consider the engine powerful because it didn't jerk back when you push for it. I drove at 160 km/hr in NW highway with ease. It is a heavy car thus stable even at that speed. Don't give me any problem till....

A few days after my 160 km/h, the car 'loss power' on AYE. Luckily there is no cars behind me, it was a Sunday. otherwise, you can imagine if it was in NW highway when this happen. Engine still running but no gear engaged. I stop at the side and stop the engine. Re-start it work fine but within 5 meters, the same thing happen.

I was told it is the auto trans switch or something like that that fails. It will cost around $5-6K. If this is a Jap car, it is less than $1K.

I am not sure why this happen or will it happen on other cars/models. It is definitely very dangerous. I told the agent when I bought my other car to please scrap it. I won't dare to drive it anymore.

I have not heard of similar problem face by other and I have driven many other brands. Maybe it is just this car or others can share. If you owns one, do be careful.

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:35 PM

burns_kazuo
  • Premium member
    burns_kazuo
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Hi! Wonder if any Optra Estate owners are scrapping their cars. I am keen in buying over the cabin boot cover as mine just spoilt. SMS me at 90272255. Tks! -Burns

Back to American Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users