• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
113 replies to this topic | 520 praises

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

Zichuan
  • Premium member
    Zichuan
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Asking a feedback with you guys,

Have you encounter when u booked online hotels through either agoda.com / booking.com / latestays.com

Once you made the payment, reached the hotel, check-in process they asked for deposit of certain amount which is refundable when u check out. Is this their policy??

I encountered this, i felt disgusted. Since i have paid fully for hotel which wants me to pay full through creditcard, yet when checking-in they still ask for deposit. I only encounter this in malaysia selected hotels.

Whereby those online booking website doesnt stated the requirement clearly, too smoky.

Especially booking.com prices stated all "Exclude Taxes"
Some websites "Included Taxes"

Any tips to handle this kind of issues? Or better suggestion of online hotel booking websites. Especially Malaysia, as i go there frequently.

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

Dafansu
  • Premium member
    Dafansu
    Turbocharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

This is common. Deposit in case you damage anything in their room or take those chargeable items in the fridge.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

Townegg
  • Townegg
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Yah its a standard practice in many hotels? Usually about S$100 but u can use your credit card for the deposit and it wont be charged unless u have used or break something.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

Silver_blade
  • Premium member
    Silver_blade
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Common practice even if you booked direct from hotel itself.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

Beaconlight
  • Beaconlight
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Hmm...depends on which hotel. Usually they will ask for a deposit as an "insurance" for any breakage or usage of drinks (esp alcoholic) from their mini bar.
But as I say it depends...cos it depends from hotel to hotel.

Why not try Asiarooms?
Lately I find their price better...
Agoda's price rise a bit after taken over by Priceline (if I am not wrong in this.)

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

Drafting88
  • Premium member
    Drafting88
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I stayed at Pulai Springs in March. I didn't like the fact that my credit card deposit was only returned almost two weeks after the stay.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

Khrz
  • Khrz
    1st Gear
    Author Image

common.. deposit and payment will void if nothing happen..

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

Toledo
  • Toledo
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

common but also depends on the hotel. my most recent one last wk was at ibis in europe. the hotel does not have any mini fridge, and they did not ask for deposit.

always check the details whether b/f included, tax included & refund policy etc.

usually the more reputable online sites are ok.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

Zxcvb
  • Zxcvb
    6th Gear
    Author Image

this is standard at almost all hotels leh. just in case you take drinks from the fridge, order room service, hotel bar or anything extra. been like this for ages liao way before internet bookings and all. TS noob in travel??

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

Berncsp76
  • Premium member
    Berncsp76
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

This is standard practise in MY as well as Thailand...need to pay deposit for consumables or damages charged to the room or any room services/phone calls etc etc.

Do remember to ask receptionist to tear the charge slip in front of you when checking out and nothing has been additionally charged. If not sure have dispute and you dun wana go back there to ask for refund rite? biggrin.gif

I am the XMM TIKO RANGER!

Success is a journey...not a destination - Steven Gerrard

Dare we dream...YNWA!

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:04 PM

Babyckh
  • Premium member
    Babyckh
    5th Gear
    Author Image

The deposit had nothing to do with the online booking websites. It is a norm for hotels to ask for a deposit.

Usually they'll just swipe your credit card and they will keep the credit card transaction slip.

They'll return the slip to you when you had not broke/took out anything from the mini bar/etc..during your checkout.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

Dwoon
  • Premium member
    Dwoon
    6th Gear
    Author Image

If you feel unsafe for the hotel to have your credit card details and hold onto a deposit for abou 10 days...... you can opt for cash deposit. Some hotels will accept this and the money will be refunded upon check-out. The deposit is usually the price of 1 night's stay. (but can vary for some)

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

errmm...what's the issue? confused.gif

this is common practice. this is to protect themselves in case the guest took stuff from the room i.e. minibar or bathrobes, etc n they onli discover it after checkout.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

Nhrisuzu
  • Premium member
    Nhrisuzu
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Have you encounter when u booked online hotels through either agoda.com / booking.com / latestays.com

Once you made the payment, reached the hotel, check-in process they asked for deposit of certain amount which is refundable when u check out. Is this their policy??

I encountered this, i felt disgusted. Since i have paid fully for hotel which wants me to pay full through creditcard, yet when checking-in they still ask for deposit. I only encounter this in malaysia selected hotels.

Whereby those online booking website doesnt stated the requirement clearly, too smoky.

Any tips to handle this kind of issues? Or better suggestion of online hotel booking websites. Especially Malaysia, as i go there frequently.

i believe this is Hotel's policy and not the online booking issues..

i normally book thru PYO Travel.. a tad more exp but i'm fine with it..

if not is asiarooms.. important is to see what are the prices displayed consist of.. tax? service charge? breakfast etc..

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
In Loving Memory: 16.06.1952 - 11.12.2006
** i am NHR ISUZU.. call me NHR or ZU **

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

Mcf777
  • Mcf777
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

TS, deposit at the hotel counter is a common practise.

Those deposit amount that are being charge (or taken out) at the couter, will stay in the pipeline for the next 7-14days.
They will only return back to your credit card account if the hotel does not submit (or claim) the amount from the bank.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

Pltang
  • Pltang
    5th Gear
    Author Image

The online bookings are acting as an agent to provide "better price".

Policies at the hotels are not polices of the online booking sites.

Deposit is a standard hotel procedure. You would probably flipped if the hotel were to ask for your passport as a deposit, which happened in Vietnam.

The cancellation of the deposit on the credit card is dependent between the card issuer which is your bank and visa/master or whatever card it is. Majority is one working day, that is, if the cancellation was done when you checked out.
Mitsubishi Colt sold at mileage: 110467

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

Old-driver
  • Old-driver
    5th Gear
    Author Image

standard practice... u will not be charged if u dun break anything...
Jamesc praised this

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

standard one la
when i stay at KL grand millenium last month, they ask a one night deposit so my deposit is 1000RM for 2 nights. they scared u take the mini bar or cause any damages in the room
in other countries, usually they "open" ur credit card during ur stay in case u run away or make damages, it will be charged to ur credit card automatically

Edited by Thaiyotakamli, 23 May 2011 - 03:50 PM.

Dont get confused between my personality & my attitude...

My personality is who I am...

My attitude depends on who you are...

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

Snoops88
  • Premium member
    Snoops88
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

its quite a standard practice in all hotels

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

nowadays there are many website able to compare the various online hotel booking and list them by the lowest.

will it be funny if i choose to book with the one that is own and hosted overseas for the hotel in singapore?

骑白马的不一定是王子,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Back to Travel & Road Trips  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users