Online hotel booking issues

Zichuan

Neutral Newbie

Asking a feedback with you guys,

Have you encounter when u booked online hotels through either agoda.com / booking.com / latestays.com

Once you made the payment, reached the hotel, check-in process they asked for deposit of certain amount which is refundable when u check out. Is this their policy??

I encountered this, i felt disgusted. Since i have paid fully for hotel which wants me to pay full through creditcard, yet when checking-in they still ask for deposit. I only encounter this in malaysia selected hotels.

Whereby those online booking website doesnt stated the requirement clearly, too smoky.

Especially booking.com prices stated all "Exclude Taxes"

Some websites "Included Taxes"

Any tips to handle this kind of issues? Or better suggestion of online hotel booking websites. Especially Malaysia, as i go there frequently.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

This is common. Deposit in case you damage anything in their room or take those chargeable items in the fridge.

Yah its a standard practice in many hotels? Usually about S$100 but u can use your credit card for the deposit and it wont be charged unless u have used or break something.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hmm...depends on which hotel. Usually they will ask for a deposit as an "insurance" for any breakage or usage of drinks (esp alcoholic) from their mini bar.

But as I say it depends...cos it depends from hotel to hotel.

Why not try Asiarooms?

Lately I find their price better...

Agoda's price rise a bit after taken over by Priceline (if I am not wrong in this.)

• Praise 1

I stayed at Pulai Springs in March. I didn't like the fact that my credit card deposit was only returned almost two weeks after the stay.

• Praise 1

common but also depends on the hotel. my most recent one last wk was at ibis in europe. the hotel does not have any mini fridge, and they did not ask for deposit.

always check the details whether b/f included, tax included & refund policy etc.

usually the more reputable online sites are ok.

Turbocharged

this is standard at almost all hotels leh. just in case you take drinks from the fridge, order room service, hotel bar or anything extra. been like this for ages liao way before internet bookings and all. TS noob in travel??

This is standard practise in MY as well as Thailand...need to pay deposit for consumables or damages charged to the room or any room services/phone calls etc etc.

Do remember to ask receptionist to tear the charge slip in front of you when checking out and nothing has been additionally charged. If not sure have dispute and you dun wana go back there to ask for refund rite? :D

The deposit had nothing to do with the online booking websites. It is a norm for hotels to ask for a deposit.

Usually they'll just swipe your credit card and they will keep the credit card transaction slip.

They'll return the slip to you when you had not broke/took out anything from the mini bar/etc..during your checkout.

If you feel unsafe for the hotel to have your credit card details and hold onto a deposit for abou 10 days...... you can opt for cash deposit. Some hotels will accept this and the money will be refunded upon check-out. The deposit is usually the price of 1 night's stay. (but can vary for some)

Supersonic

errmm...what's the issue? [confused]

this is common practice. this is to protect themselves in case the guest took stuff from the room i.e. minibar or bathrobes, etc n they onli discover it after checkout.

Have you encounter when u booked online hotels through either agoda.com / booking.com / latestays.com

Once you made the payment, reached the hotel, check-in process they asked for deposit of certain amount which is refundable when u check out. Is this their policy??

I encountered this, i felt disgusted. Since i have paid fully for hotel which wants me to pay full through creditcard, yet when checking-in they still ask for deposit. I only encounter this in malaysia selected hotels.

Whereby those online booking website doesnt stated the requirement clearly, too smoky.

Any tips to handle this kind of issues? Or better suggestion of online hotel booking websites. Especially Malaysia, as i go there frequently.

i believe this is Hotel's policy and not the online booking issues..

i normally book thru PYO Travel.. a tad more exp but i'm fine with it..

if not is asiarooms.. important is to see what are the prices displayed consist of.. tax? service charge? breakfast etc..

Turbocharged

TS, deposit at the hotel counter is a common practise.

Those deposit amount that are being charge (or taken out) at the couter, will stay in the pipeline for the next 7-14days.

They will only return back to your credit card account if the hotel does not submit (or claim) the amount from the bank.

The online bookings are acting as an agent to provide "better price".

Policies at the hotels are not polices of the online booking sites.

Deposit is a standard hotel procedure. You would probably flipped if the hotel were to ask for your passport as a deposit, which happened in Vietnam.

The cancellation of the deposit on the credit card is dependent between the card issuer which is your bank and visa/master or whatever card it is. Majority is one working day, that is, if the cancellation was done when you checked out.

(edited)

standard one la

when i stay at KL grand millenium last month, they ask a one night deposit so my deposit is 1000RM for 2 nights. they scared u take the mini bar or cause any damages in the room

in other countries, usually they "open" ur credit card during ur stay in case u run away or make damages, it will be charged to ur credit card automatically

Edited by Thaiyotakamli
↡ Advertisement