DIY VOLT STABLILZER

Cwx7978589

hi, duno knowif u still rem me as kzy... lols.. fix the VS on. it's gd to have lesser crank after the 1st start of the car... everything seems fine... enought electric power to stable the whole car now. worth the price to buy this rather den the replica pivot VS.. =D

James

Hi, James . sure rem u (always want exchange u pivot with me) hehe

thanks bro

↡ Advertisement

Hi, James . sure rem u (always want exchange u pivot with me) hehe

thanks bro

Seriously, Pviot VSD (the blue colour one) is crap. Its basically just 4 x 4700uF capacitors and they are selling a a crazy price.

I have not tried TS's VS but from what I have seen on the picture, I can see its a pretty good VS. There are several capacitors of difference values to cover for various frequencies in voltage fluctuations/ripples/noise etc.... The big ones cater for low frequencies which small ones cater for high frequencies.

There is quite alot of arguments regarding purpose of VS blah blah.... I will just say this. A car will function properly w/o VS definitely. However, a well designed VS will improve its efficiency. Clean power with minimal noise is good for all things. Hifi equipment are particularly sensitive to power. You will see how much $$$ people actually spend on power filters etc for their home hifi equipment and it does affect sound quality. your Air flow sensor, O2 sensor etc all depends on changes in voltage to determine the readings and all these devices are affected by voltage fluctuations.

The only downside of the VS (not just what TS is sellling but literally all VS out there) are the electrolytic capacitors. They have a pretty limited lifespan compared to other capacitors (eg. Tantalum caps) and they are more susceptible to heat because heat will increase the dissipation of the electrolyte (the liquid inside the capacitor). Of course, they should still last a few years easily but don't expect it to last 10-20yrs.

Seriously, Pviot VSD (the blue colour one) is crap. Its basically just 4 x 4700uF capacitors and they are selling a a crazy price.

I have not tried TS's VS but from what I have seen on the picture, I can see its a pretty good VS. There are several capacitors of difference values to cover for various frequencies in voltage fluctuations/ripples/noise etc.... The big ones cater for low frequencies which small ones cater for high frequencies.

There is quite alot of arguments regarding purpose of VS blah blah.... I will just say this. A car will function properly w/o VS definitely. However, a well designed VS will improve its efficiency. Clean power with minimal noise is good for all things. Hifi equipment are particularly sensitive to power. You will see how much $$$ people actually spend on power filters etc for their home hifi equipment and it does affect sound quality. your Air flow sensor, O2 sensor etc all depends on changes in voltage to determine the readings and all these devices are affected by voltage fluctuations.

The only downside of the VS (not just what TS is sellling but literally all VS out there) are the electrolytic capacitors. They have a pretty limited lifespan compared to other capacitors (eg. Tantalum caps) and they are more susceptible to heat because heat will increase the dissipation of the electrolyte (the liquid inside the capacitor). Of course, they should still last a few years easily but don't expect it to last 10-20yrs.

Someone ask, why put capacitors or VS on the battery ?

Are you trying to filter noise from getting into the battery ?

If you're trying to filter noise, the capacitors would be best located at the source of the device, like HU, ecu..etc..and not placed at the battery.

Wires picked up stray capacitance anyways.

Battery might actually benefit from pulsing charge (no capacitors), since it is somewhat like a desulphating action.

Someone ask, why put capacitors or VS on the battery ?

Are you trying to filter noise from getting into the battery ?

If you're trying to filter noise, the capacitors would be best located at the source of the device, like HU, ecu..etc..and not placed at the battery.

Wires picked up stray capacitance anyways.

Battery might actually benefit from pulsing charge (no capacitors), since it is somewhat like a desulphating action.

Why put at the battery? Thats because its the most accessible place and its connected in parallel with the alternator.

As for pulsing charge, not the alternator does not provide any form pulsing charge at all. It only has lots of noise.

Desulphating has to be done as high frequency pulses of current going into the battery.

Edited by Satria_neo

hahas! but u have a good VS there... works fine now... much better den the pivot...=)

thanks bro, i went to thailand last two week.hehe

Edited by Cwx7978589

I had a pivot VS before and it takes up much of my battery power.

Dekit it and surprisingly sold it away for a good price.

how to test / know if capacitors are / aren't working?

Not easy to, unless you remove 1 leg of the capacitor from the PCB and measure the capicitance.

Normally we look out for physical damage as a failing capacitor.

At the top or bottom, if you see it's bloated out (not flat), it means there are hydrogen venting. Anytime they capacitor can "pop".

Or you see some brown substance on the capacitor or nearby area that looks like rust.

It means the capacitor is leaking electrolyte.

Edited by Bystander50

A very simple test to see if grounding works on your car is to

ground the positive side to your batt instead of the negative.

Not easy to, unless you remove 1 leg of the capacitor from the PCB and measure the capicitance.

Normally we look out for physical damage as a failing capacitor.

At the top or bottom, if you see it's bloated out (not flat), it means there are hydrogen venting. Anytime they capacitor can "pop".

Or you see some brown substance on the capacitor or nearby area that looks like rust.

It means the capacitor is leaking electrolyte.

Ok Thx for ur reply.

A very simple test to see if grounding works on your car is to

ground the positive side to your batt instead of the negative.

:D :D :D

nice one [thumbsup]

those who think their grounding can be improved shd try. [rolleyes]