Digital Door Lock

Hamburger

Problem with key code is after a while, friends and neighbours may remember the numbers. Also could the numbers be lifted using some cheap tricks?

Am thinking of buying a fingerprint lock but was told some are not sensitive, if got iPhone type of fingerprint reader, which almost never fail me, it would be good.

Some digital locks have all 3 access method available concurrently. Ie. you can happy happy use code, use fingerprint, use rfid tokens.

My fingerprint set is one shot one kill 98% of the time, rest of the 2% needs to re-read once more but these situation is usually because I did not place my finger in the optimal position.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Problem with key code is after a while, friends and neighbours may remember the numbers. Also could the numbers be lifted using some cheap tricks?

Am thinking of buying a fingerprint lock but was told some are not sensitive, if got iPhone type of fingerprint reader, which almost never fail me, it would be good.

Numbers lifting is a little too “James Bond”.

Don’t see the reason why friends/neighbours may get the code. The gate maybe but main door unlikely due to door is recess in/block by gate. So far have no such issue, perhaps also due to fact I already covered more than ¾ of the gate.  :TT_TT: 

Also, the beauty of digital lock is you can change the number as and when you like.

As a safety precautions, change the number every 6 months perhaps.

1) don't keep gold bar at home

2) FBI can crack iPhone.

2) FBI can crack iPhone.

More important is Apple still cannot and refuse to hack into their own product. Everyone should feel damn safe.

I android camp.

Some digital locks have all 3 access method available concurrently. Ie. you can happy happy use code, use fingerprint, use rfid tokens.

My fingerprint set is one shot one kill 98% of the time, rest of the 2% needs to re-read once more but these situation is usually because I did not place my finger in the optimal position.

Good to know, what digital lock are you using?

2) FBI can crack iPhone.

My kids are worth tons of gold bars. lol

Anyway, if FBI wants to crack my iPhone, there isn't much I can do. The fact that FBI needs outside help and a lawsuit say much about Apple's security system.

Numbers lifting is a little too “James Bond”.

Don’t see the reason why friends/neighbours may get the code. The gate maybe but main door unlikely due to door is recess in/block by gate. So far have no such issue, perhaps also due to fact I already covered more than ¾ of the gate. :TT_TT:

Also, the beauty of digital lock is you can change the number as and when you like.

As a safety precautions, change the number every 6 months perhaps.

If you live in a corridor unit, it is possible for some criminals to capture your number code but then no common lock can stop a determined criminal. Still think fingerprint access is the best, convenient and even if you are carrying bags on both hands, you can still swipe to unlock the doors.

Card access is also ok but it also means you need to carry the card around and if you have a few such access cards, the reader can't pick up the right access code. Why noone using modern car's keyless entry system?

• Praise 1

I was talking to one of these supplier on what happen if I forgotten my code or battery is too weak to function and I am locked outside.

He was sharing either to use the master key or there is a master pass code. Anyone has experience on this?

Samsung digital door lock does come with emergency key. Just keep it in your car loh. The battery can last for a year. I usually change it around 10 months. Anyway ! There is a battery low alarm.

• Praise 2

My experience with digital locks have not been good. Fingerprint sometimes work, but the number pad works well and when you neglect to change battery, it alarms n is unable to unbolt the door after a while unless you have a battery pack which is unfortunately inside the house, and what do we do, use the key to manually override the mechanism which turns it into a normal cylinder locking key system. I find that the one I used gives it convenience but not added security.

• Praise 3

Some tips for you:

- most digital locks have fingerprints storage for up to 50 different finger prints. I just register 8 fingers (excluding the thumbs). Kiasu abit...in case one of my only finger got cut or something :D . I do that for the rest of the household as well....

- I got cheap small soap box size waterproof tupperware-type box and keep a spare 9v battery in it. I keep it in my water meter closet for emergency access (never need to use it since the low battery warning reminder usually gives me enough time to change the batteries)

- I keep one of the the master over-ride physical key inside my car and another at my parent's place just just in case... :D

My experience with digital locks have not been good. Fingerprint sometimes work, but the number pad works well and when you neglect to change battery, it alarms n is unable to unbolt the door after a while unless you have a battery pack which is unfortunately inside the house, and what do we do, use the key to manually override the mechanism which turns it into a normal cylinder locking key system. I find that the one I used gives it convenience but not added security.

• Praise 4

So far it has been working really well. No complaints what so ever. You just have to understand the technology, it's limitation and be conscientious about changing the batteries once the low bat warning sounds.

I came from another older Samsung finger print model. This P718 finger print recognition accuracy is much improved compared to the older model. My hit rate is 1 repeat scanning for every 30-50 scans? and so far non that requires me to retry more than 1 additional time.

The push/pull method of door opening and closing is good for oldies with problem twisting their wrist in the conventional turn handle style lock.

When using this P718, best to pair it with a soft door closer that you can adjust the closing speed. Some of these soft door closer comes inbuilt with and door open holder which is even better if you like to keep your main door open most of the time.

Can give some good or bad review so far? I'm now considering P718. Thanks!

• Praise 3

Really convenient le. No need lock the door when u go out

And also good if u rent out ur place, can just change the fingerprint and passcode when tenant move out

So far it has been working really well. No complaints what so ever. You just have to understand the technology, it's limitation and be conscientious about changing the batteries once the low bat warning sounds.

I came from another older Samsung finger print model. This P718 finger print recognition accuracy is much improved compared to the older model. My hit rate is 1 repeat scanning for every 30-50 scans? and so far non that requires me to retry more than 1 additional time.

The push/pull method of door opening and closing is good for oldies with problem twisting their wrist in the conventional turn handle style lock.

When using this P718, best to pair it with a soft door closer that you can adjust the closing speed. Some of these soft door closer comes inbuilt with and door open holder which is even better if you like to keep your main door open most of the time.

It depend on ur finger. If ur finger print abit fade or too wet or too dry it cant detect. Mine most of times 1x done. Only sometimes need two times. Still more convenient than keys

Need soft close to prevent door slamming and spoil the key lock

• Praise 6

Thanks for the info. Good point on the soft closer I'll double check before buying.

I'd imagine the fingerprint sensor would be very handy as I typically reach home in the evening with one hand carrying my sleeping son and other other hand fumbling with keys.

• Praise 1

Thanks for the info. Good point on the soft closer I'll double check before buying.

I'd imagine the fingerprint sensor would be very handy as I typically reach home in the evening with one hand carrying my sleeping son and other other hand fumbling with keys.

No need bring keys ald la

Only car key and maybe condo gate pass. Very troublesome bring key, esp when u walk got the music background haha

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1