Digital Door Lock

Hamburger

dun know if the lock company will kenna sue  <_<

sue for what? i don't think they advertised the lock as being fireproof.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

sue for what? i don't think they advertised the lock as being fireproof.

huh.

how can u sell  a lock that cannot open during fire??? lol [sweatdrop]

even if u didnt advertise that, the authority can allow meh?? [hur]

I think the way digital door locks are designed from the inside there's a door knob or turning lock but because the escooter is placed near to the door when it caught on fire nobody can touch it with their bare hands.

My office door has a digital lock. From the inside there's a turn lever to manually lock and unlock. So even if it fails electrically it can still be unlocked manually as in it's mechanically linked.

Edited by Watwheels

huh.

how can u sell  a lock that cannot open during fire??? lol [sweatdrop]

even if u didnt advertise that, the authority can allow meh?? [hur]

I don't think door locks are regulated by ah gong leh. 

The door lock was presumably damaged by the fire so cannot open lor. Even your normal manual lock could have the same problem but maybe at high temps since digital locks are also made of plastics.

Edited by Kusje

There is a fail safe for most decent quality digital lock. From inside when you attempt to open the door, it will still open for you mechanically.

I believe the fire was too near the doorway. Even if it is a regular door lock, would have been too hot for them to get near or touch it in the first place. 

Focus should be on the PMDs catching fire out of no where. 

I think the way digital door locks are designed from the inside there's a door knob or turning lock but because the escooter is placed near to the door when it caught on fire nobody can touch it with their bare hands.

My office door has a digital lock. From the inside there's a turn lever to manually lock and unlock. So even if it fails electrically it can still be unlocked manually as in it's mechanically linked.

Yes correct.

Same as my digital lock at home.

It cannot not work.

Must be the heat from fire as you mentioned

There is a fail safe for most decent quality digital lock. From inside when you attempt to open the door, it will still open for you mechanically.

I believe the fire was too near the doorway. Even if it is a regular door lock, would have been too hot for them to get near or touch it in the first place. 

Yeah. Whether it's a regular door lock or a digital one nobody can touch the door if the fire is right at the door step. I guess only solution is wait for the door to get burn down, wrap yourself in wet towel and rush out of the apartment when the door is down.

Edited by Watwheels

Problem is the fire safety regulations require some main doors to be fire-rated... 1hr? Think is for those units within certain distance from lifts/stairwell etc main idea is they want to keep the fire contained within the unit instead of spreading to the rest of the building. 

By then the whole place would have burnt down... Including the people inside. 

Yeah. Whether it's a regular door lock or a digital one nobody can touch the door if the fire is right at the door step. I guess only solution is wait for the door to get burn down, wrap yourself in wet towel and rush out of the apartment when the door is down.

• Praise 2

Problem is the fire safety regulations require some main doors to be fire-rated... 1hr? Think is for those units within certain distance from lifts/stairwell etc main idea is they want to keep the fire contained within the unit instead of spreading to the rest of the building. 

I guess the solution is to get a fire rated door for your toilet or bedroom as well.

Then hide inside lol.

Exactly that

Hide in the shower room. Turn on all the water.  Within 1 hr fire brigade still not here I dunno what to say. LoL...

Same here, my digital locks at home can still be opened manually in the event of the electronics failing.

Btw the digital locks on my main gate and door are coming to five years old now, no issues at all. Good job Yale.

• Praise 1

Same here, my digital locks at home can still be opened manually in the event of the electronics failing.

Btw the digital locks on my main gate and door are coming to five years old now, no issues at all. Good job Yale.

Lock go for Yale just like car mat go for 3M, won't go wrong.
  • Praise 2

Twincharged

LOL !!! double edged sword .... same like my workplace ... if fire happen, the neighbors will not be affected coz we are all boxed up !

but in times of emergency, most will not be able to think calmly for a solution ... but will react by instinct instead.

got fire ? run away ... door knob hot or cannot turn ... scream like mad !!

so actually all those fire evacuation drills are good for preparation for emergency.

you are correct that depending on design of the escape route, not all main entrsnce doors have to be fire rated. however, escape door rightfully should swing out and not inward. I don't know why most residential apartments do not have this requirement. funny thing is, this HDB csn even seal off the door to put a fish tank. We are very flexible. 

• Praise 1

Purpose of a fire door is to prevent spreading of fire from one compartment to another, so it work 2 way. If a particular unit caught fire, it delay the spread by containing the fire within the affected unit, BUT if the fire is say, along the corridor, it also helps to prevent it from spreading into the neighboring units.

For HDB, min 1/2 hour fire rating required. For other resident and commercial unit, up to 2 hours fire rating will be required.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

Yes, Yale is good lock. Nevertheless do change the battery regularly n do carry a master key. You never know when the PCB going to kaput. I do hear from someone his Yale digital failed too.

I am using a digital lock too. Both pin & card failed to work due to battery failed. I can plug in a 9Volt externally to activate the circuit too but it failed to work too.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5