Water contaminated petrol from S'pore petrol station

Topgun

Neutral Newbie

Hoping to reach people who might have experienced my problem yesterday.

I pumped petrol yesterday morning 30 May, topping up with octane 98 fuel at a certain petrol station in Northeastern part of S'pore. Car engine has been working perfectly with no issue whatsover before and was serviced 2 weeks before.

Car engine vibrated violently and stalled after leaving petrol station less than 1 km. Car is stranded in the middle of the road and could not move. Had the car towed to agent's workshop as my car is just over 1 1/2 yrs old. By afternoon, it was discovered that my petrol tank contained 'a lot of water' with the petrol in the tank.

Reported to petroleum company yesterday evening. They conducted an investigation by taking samples from the storage tank of said petrol station but reported to me and the workshop this afternoon that intitial study done and said 'nothing wrong with the petrol'.

I insisted that they send somebody down to my workshop and look at the car's damage and evidence.

And I should think there should be more victims out there because that is a popular petrol station in a middle class housing estate, which has undergone massive renovation works for weeks and just reopened for business yesterday 30 May.

If any driver reading this thread, has similar experience with engine stalling soon after pumping petrol yesterday, please PM me to verify whether we had top-ups at the same petrol station.

No jokes or unsavoury comments please.

Thank you.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

if what you predict or your workshop stating is truth , you shouldnt be alone. there should be alot of cars queing behind you within 1km also.

Edited by Lanevomax

Sh!T!! WTF? That's bad news man! Here in Singapore summore!

Yah, should've alot of people kenna also what. Am not one of them so cannot help. Sorry, but hope your situation can be resolved soon. If this can happen to you, it can happen to anybody!

How bad's the damage btw? Think just flush the system and top-up with proper petrol can already right? Or is there permanent damage to the engine itself? [:(]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

if what you predict or your workshop stating is truth , you shouldnt be alone. there should be alot of cars queing behind you within 1km also.

Very logical statement. Fully agreed [:)]

TS should towed the car back to Petrol stn immediately instead of workshop.

Edited by Strong

Write to papers, bro. Happened to me before. Once it hits the papers, everybody get full compensation and the petrol station close down. If its contamination, then it should not be only you. Otherwise, its other problem.

because its premium grade petrol.. the demand is not that high. And also depends on traffic then. If its a lull period, and for higher grade petrol, not surprising during that window, no car pumped at that kiosk for that petrol grade.

Very logical statement. Fully agreed [:)]

TS should towed the car back to Petrol stn immediately instead of workshop.

Don't think TS knows water has entered his fuel system then.

Don't think TS knows water has entered his fuel system then.

agree... like what a reply mentioned : wah..singapore leh..

if it happens to me..last thing i will suspect is fuel issue. Since Im driving the infamous Alfa, sure thing its 'another one of those gearbox or engine problems again.'

could it be the station assistant during toping up overflow your fuel tank ,without putting back the fuel cap and he accidently pour water to wash away the remaining petrol. the water get into the fuel hole..... it might be a possibility.

Can't believe these things happen in SG. Guess we r not perfect after all. It make sense cos I dun think the agent WS will wanna anyhow say fuel got water. I feel for u bro. Hope u get it all sort out asap. SG petrol so ex (somemore u pump octane98), this issue is juz not worth the time.

Neutral Newbie

could it be the station assistant during toping up overflow your fuel tank ,without putting back the fuel cap and he accidently pour water to wash away the remaining petrol. the water get into the fuel hole..... it might be a possibility.

Might be a possibility but not probable. Some splashes will not cause such a major problem (I think) unless the pump attendent deliberately pour water into the neck of the petrol tank. My car petrol tank has a metal piece flap inside, unless you use a funnel or the petrol pump snout then only you can push open the flap and pour (anything) in. [scholar]

agree... like what a reply mentioned : wah..singapore leh..

if it happens to me..last thing i will suspect is fuel issue. Since Im driving the infamous Alfa, sure thing its 'another one of those gearbox or engine problems again.'

Precisely. Water in fuel system will be something that is furthest from my mind. Definitely not in SG!

Neutral Newbie

Can't believe these things happen in SG. Guess we r not perfect after all. It make sense cos I dun think the agent WS will wanna anyhow say fuel got water. I feel for u bro. Hope u get it all sort out asap. SG petrol so ex (somemore u pump octane98), this issue is juz not worth the time.

Yup, loss of use, the hassle, the inconvenience, the stress, waste of time and finally the costs of repair [knife] Of course I would want to seek full compensation.

Fuel injectors, fuel regulator, spark plugs, fuel pump, all damage and some smaller parts need to be replaced, the fuel lines need to be flushed with cleaner and petrol, and petrol tank taken out, cleaned, dried and reinstalled. $$$$ [mad]

Might be a possiblility but not probable. Some splashes will not cause such a major problem (I think) unless the pump attendent deliberately pour water into the neck of the petrol tank. My car petrol tank has a metal piece flap inside, unless you use a funnel or the petrol pump snout then only you can push open the flap and pour (anything) in. [scholar]

I have on two or three occasions found that my fuel cap is not properly tightened (cap was just sitting but not pressed down and turned) Happened both here and also in MY. Nowadays I make it a point to check before I drive off.

(edited)

Sorry to hear about this.

Petrol station operates several underground tanks, so it may not be all those that refilled the same grade will be affected. Only those that refilled from the pump nozzles that draws from the same tank as you may have encountered problem.

If you pull your MCF rank, they may accord you with additional respect, instead of trying to brush you off. Tried CASE? Go down to oil company office.

If this is a diesel unit, the damages will be more serious.

BTW, I support 98, as the savings from using 95 is less than $10/mth.

Edited by 5936
↡ Advertisement