2nd Hand Saab 9-5 yr 06

Knightskid

Intend to get a Saab 9-5 yr 06, wondering any member here drove one? Would need your feedback of this car regarding maintenance cost, car breakdown frequency, electronic malfunction or etc...

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

Intend to get a Saab 9-5 yr 06, wondering any member here drove one? Would need your feedback of this car regarding maintenance cost, car breakdown frequency, electronic malfunction or etc...

Thanks

SAAB cars after 5 yrs many problem start coming in....if you really like the car,looks for those real low mileage ones..

Great car and drive.

Depreciation and insurance also reasonable.

Downside is maintenance.

Owned a 05 Sep 9-5 for 1 year and 3 months.

Changed

1. Battery - $180

2. Whole set of aircon - $1800

3. Some shocks stuff - $1000

4. Water pump - $260

5. Tyres - $1000

Everything I change brand new coz I'm driving it till all the way.

Haven't add some modifications of 2k+ to improve ride.

Great car and drive.

Depreciation and insurance also reasonable.

Downside is maintenance.

Owned a 05 Sep 9-5 for 1 year and 3 months.

Changed

1. Battery - $180

2. Whole set of aircon - $1800

3. Some shocks stuff - $1000

4. Water pump - $260

5. Tyres - $1000

Everything I change brand new coz I'm driving it till all the way.

Haven't add some modifications of 2k+ to improve ride.

Those listed out still acceptable. But how abt electronic parts, gearbox, engine? By the way, cost of normal servicing roughly how much? Thanks.

Those listed out still acceptable. But how abt electronic parts, gearbox, engine? By the way, cost of normal servicing roughly how much? Thanks.

Servicing no diff from Jap cars. I bring my own oil to my Saab Mech and they charge me $30. No need to change plugs coz i'm on iridium. General engine and gearbox and such are ok but sometimes heng sway one lah.

Btw, I need i think to change my fuel pump within a year - $700 and plug some engine leaks - $1.5k to 2k + another 2k on the rear structs and mounting.

After that should soon soon till the 10th year.

:D

P.S I'll rather spent 3k on maintenance than additional 6-10k on depreciation.

SAAB cars after 5 yrs many problem start coming in....if you really like the car,looks for those real low mileage ones..

nonsense. my bro's Saab already 5yrs and it hardly gave him any problem...

maybe can also consider the other Sweden brand - Volvo ? Any better/worse I cannot comment, but at least more choice [;)]

Servicing no diff from Jap cars. I bring my own oil to my Saab Mech and they charge me $30. No need to change plugs coz i'm on iridium. General engine and gearbox and such are ok but sometimes heng sway one lah.

Btw, I need i think to change my fuel pump within a year - $700 and plug some engine leaks - $1.5k to 2k + another 2k on the rear structs and mounting.

After that should soon soon till the 10th year.

:D

P.S I'll rather spent 3k on maintenance than additional 6-10k on depreciation.

I read from somewhere that it is advisable not to change to iridium as might cause problem on the DI cassette, best is stick to stock ngk plug. Is it true?

Twincharged

nonsense. my bro's Saab already 5yrs and it hardly gave him any problem...

Maybe his mileage is low,my friends ALL change their SAAB after 100k Km,about 5 yrs old,even TranEurokas Service advisor told them to do so....

(edited)

Maybe his mileage is low,my friends ALL change their SAAB after 100k Km,about 5 yrs old,even TranEurokas Service advisor told them to do so....

his milege is 2k a month easily...that's not low lor...

Anyway, I really doubt a AD would actually tell the customers to change the car they selling..this must be a c--k and bull story which you coming up with...all your friends?? how many Saab are there on the roads and how many of which your friends own one?? I doubt its even 5. Sorry but i doubt the credibility of your story..you sound just like someone who is predjudiced against this brand and cooking up stories to prove your pt..

Edited by Damienic

i got a neighbour driving saab 95 and if i am not wrong should be '05 or '06 one.

i didn't hear him complaining about his car. so i guess should be okay to own one?

actually, it's more about luck if you purchase a 2nd hand car, regardless any brands/models. =p

Neutral Newbie

i got a neighbour driving saab 95 and if i am not wrong should be '05 or '06 one.

i didn't hear him complaining about his car. so i guess should be okay to own one?

actually, it's more about luck if you purchase a 2nd hand car, regardless any brands/models. =p

I agree. There's nothing wrong with the car. Mine is 2002 model which is more than 9 yeras old . Driven it for 8 years. Never suffered any breakdown except battery flat on 2 occasions. No major repair except changing the DI cassette, radiator leak . Normal wear and tear items like dampers (changed once only)and engine mounting (twice). my odometer is now 150,000km. engine still as solid and powerful as new. Excellent acceleration for overtaking. Occasionally, AD offers 4 x 6-monthly service for $1600 with one complete set of new brake pads free anytime within the 4-service period. Worth it. The previous 95 model lasted 13 years up to 2010. After the first few years of production, all major faults were ironed out.

Twincharged

his milege is 2k a month easily...that's not low lor...

Anyway, I really doubt a AD would actually tell the customers to change the car they selling..this must be a c--k and bull story which you coming up with...all your friends?? how many Saab are there on the roads and how many of which your friends own one?? I doubt its even 5. Sorry but i doubt the credibility of your story..you sound just like someone who is predjudiced against this brand and cooking up stories to prove your pt..

The Agent told my friend,to get the a new one,offer him high trade in...anyway he changed to the new 95,because it is bigger..

Must use the normal NGK copper plugs with resistor. In fact the 9-5 uses the same set of plugs as stock Nissan N16 Sunny. Something about the ecu using the plugs feedback to run correctly. At $16 a set, change every servicing :)

Normal servicing cost about the same as my previous sunny.

Wear and tear items like brakepads, brake disc, filters are all within Jap car price range if you know where to get them.

The 9-5 is a known battery killer. The suspension arms bushing will go more quickly if you are on sports dampers. ATF for the gearbox (ATF3309) and Powersteering fluid (Pentosin CHF11S) are a bit*h to find and expensive. Some people just don't care and went the Toyota T-IV route for ATF and use DexronIII as PSF.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks

I own a 06 model (2nd hand), i would say wear & tear is very high, so far had spent >$7K changing parts. Inititally thought I got a "lemon" car, but from many owners and my workshop says it's normal.... [:(]

At least all these problems don't cause your car to breakdown, but need to spend time sendign to workshop and loss the use for that day... [:(]

My advise..... DON"T get a Saab...... if you have previously own Jap cars, u'll have "culture shock"..... Saab is not good for quality and reliability, but the engine is fantastic.....

Can you share the repairs that led to >$7K changing parts. That is almost like 1/4 the OMV of the car.

↡ Advertisement