Malaysia: Gerik Highway road trip!

Kilatz

I hour drive from KB is sg golok, Thailand. Since all the way up north, might as well get to the 3rd country. [laugh]

Hotels in KB are basic. I suggest you to try this.

http://www.perdanaresort.com.my/

It is at their famous beach, PCB. Can relax in the evening and see sun rise.

Thanks bro! It certainly does look nice and the prices seem reasonable. For a sec, I was wondering why were you scolding "PCB" hahaha [:p]

↡ Advertisement

BTW, I was reading the Wiki on Kuantan, and something caught my eye:

Sungai Lembing

Sungai Lembing is located about 26 km northwest of Kuantan and it used to contain the world's deepest underground tin mines.There is an interesting Tin Museum in the former mining town of Sungai Lembing. Just north of the Tin Museum is a "hanging bridge" (jambatan bergantung). Access to this bridge is via a narrow, winding road at the base of the entrance to the Tin Museum. There is a Panorama Hill which provides a fascinating view if you were at the peak before the sun rises. On the Kuantan-Sungai Lembing road at the hamlet of Pancing, there is a limestone mountain which houses a large reclining Buddha in one of its caves, Charas Cave. The highest peak, Gunung Tapis, also can be accessed from here.

I'm not sure how to interpret but, does this mean that the hill is located AFTER the hanging bridge at the mining town, or is it at some other place altogether?

Just read a post by blogger Jamie Soon on stay in Sungei Lembing,

They stayed in the small town overnight and took an hour to trek up the hill at 4 am, in time to catch sunrise.

Just read a post by blogger Jamie Soon on stay in Sungei Lembing,

They stayed in the small town overnight and took an hour to trek up the hill at 4 am, in time to catch sunrise.

Whoa ... 4am? [sleeping]

Haha, thanks though, I'll go read up on it to get a rough idea [thumbsup]

Yes, you can visit Sungei Lembing, an old town serving the old tin mine when you visit Kuantan. IIRC, there is also the Rainfow Waterfall there.

Bro, you mean Sungai Pandan Water Fall?

Turbocharged

Yes, you can visit Sungei Lembing, an old town serving the old tin mine when you visit Kuantan. IIRC, there is also the Rainfow Waterfall there.

There's a thread here couple years back with pictures. Those visiting Kuantan can do Sungai Lembing - Panaroma Hill, Tin Mining, Rainbow Waterfall, etc.

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2649181

http://DSC_1300_zps66651eb7.jpg

Soaked in there for 10 mins , water's cooler than our Sembawang hot spring. But then in a remote place, it's refreshing.

Do note there is no changing room except in your veh.

The hot spring i like most or should I say "by far the best" at the moment is the one I shared in the Malaysia: Driving into KL next week thread.

Ah, the hot spring....so far only encountered locals there.

Unable to pinpoint exact locale, it's on the right at a curve on the road if u approach from CH,
Toward the end of the ' motoring heaven'.

There's a little brown 'Air Panas' signboard on the left by roadside if u approach fr GM.

• Praise 1

DSC_1300_zps66651eb7.jpg

Soaked in there for 10 mins , water's cooler than our Sembawang hot spring. But then in a remote place, it's refreshing.

Do note there is no changing room except in your veh.

The hot spring i like most or should I say "by far the best" at the moment is the one I shared in the Malaysia: Driving into KL next week thread.

Visited this hot spring couple of times but dare not go into the pool - much too hot for my tolerance level.

For me, the fun part is discovering it and watching the steaming hot water gurgling from below some rocky outcrop, and cooking eggs in it.

Have a Safe drive to KL.

Visited this hot spring couple of times but dare not go into the pool - much too hot for my tolerance level.

For me, the fun part is discovering it and watching the steaming hot water gurgling from below some rocky outcrop, and cooking eggs in it.

Have a Safe drive to KL.

Hi, STD,

Any GPS co ordinates for me to locate this hot pool, I am having "cold rash" on my pair of legs and need treatment.

Kindly advise.

• Praise 8

Hi, STD,

Any GPS co ordinates for me to locate this hot pool, I am having "cold rash" on my pair of legs and need treatment.

Kindly advise.

Don't knw whom u addressing........anyway, my suggestion is to visit some hot spring resort where there's proper facilities for changing & showering.

Forget abt the one in Blue Valley......besides difficulty in finding it, u have to drive a short rocky distance to park before trekking to the hot spring. By then, your Beemer will be gone missing! Hahaha......

Don't knw whom u addressing........anyway, my suggestion is to visit some hot spring resort where there's proper facilities for changing & showering.

Forget abt the one in Blue Valley......besides difficulty in finding it, u have to drive a short rocky distance to park before trekking to the hot spring. By then, your Beemer will be gone missing! Hahaha......

S's TameDriver lah................... [laugh]

• Praise 7

unker, how about the one at Sembawang?

Yes, been there before, this small hot pool is at Jalan Ulu Sembawang, many years back visited during weekend with huge crowd and finds the water not that clear [dizzy]

• Praise 9

OMG! I drove along this idyllic route a couple of months ago! This gonna take a long time to repair, as the rest of Kelantan is almost under water!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Wow...

Luckily this is a road that many will not drive too fast....

• Praise 1

O, gonna miss this stretch of road.

Had been wanting to traverse this Gerik highway, and almost did last month ( Nov 14)

Had to called off trip due to other commitment.

OMG! I drove along this idyllic route a couple of months ago! This gonna take a long time to repair, as the rest of Kelantan is almost under water!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

O, gonna miss this stretch of road.

Had been wanting to traverse this Gerik highway, and almost did last month ( Nov 14)

Had to called off trip due to other commitment.

Wasted opportunity bro. Even if the roads aren't destroyed, there'll be plenty of potholes and eroded areas after this rainy season.

Finally made it to go thru this HW

On 15April2016 

Left K. Tregganu after hotel breakfast at 9 am onto Route 3

Stopped by Jerteh 1015. Walked around the area around Jln Zainal Abidin. Bought some stuff at the supermart. Since it's noon soon and will not know if there will be anymore small town with chinese food, we ate at Ming Hwa Restaurant. Had Yong Tau Fu and Duck drumstick wantan noodle.

Jerteh%20_Chinese_Food_zpsqgkdxo4r.jpg

One of two or three Chinese restaurants in the vicinity

Jerteh_Landmark_zpsdx7i66oc.jpg Photo taken in front of Ming Hwa Restaurant where we had our lunch

Slightly before 12 nn continued our journey.

Into Route 4. We bought only 3 pineapples along the way  ( after thought we should have bot more bcos these taste real good. Most near ripen on stalk before cutting down so does not 'bite' the tongue. Sweet too )

1.50 pm at Resttop, a heavy passing rain came, for abt half hour,  as we had our Milo kau , and it's really kau, they r very generous. 

After the rest continued journey. Somewhere closer to the lake, a family of 4 or 5 elephants were seen about 20 m from the roadside. What an opportunity to take a photoshot of them. Wanted to park by the road side, but before the car can come to a stop, the bull came charging at our car. Had no choice but to abort mission. Am hoping the opposite car had a footage of the bull charging action in his carcam and put it up in youtube or somewhere. That was a frightening episode to remember in this trip.

Reception_Banding_lakeside_Inn_zpstzzaux

Went in to take a look

Bridge_from_BandingLakeside_Inn_zpsm3wls

View of bridge from the restaurant

Already 3.30 pm by now and we better move on. Prefer to reach Ipoh before dark.

Ya, we checked into M Boutique before 6pm

↡ Advertisement